1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emotions, do they control?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Plain ol' Ralph, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Just to open this up for discussion, and to help those who are controlled emotionally, when they should have their emotions in somewhat of control.

Do you allow your emotions to have control over any situation?

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Good question. Emotions are given to us by God. They can be a blessing in their proper place and they can be troublesome if a person lets them control. The Word of God taught by the Holy Spirit needs to be our final authority and we should check our emotions against that standard. I am grateful for the emotions God gave and I am grateful that I don't always follow them or else I would continually be in trouble.

Bro Tony

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I believe Jonathan Edwards said, "I see more clearly every day that most of my problems are the ones that I make for myself. Help me keep my emotion under control by biblical thinking." Doesn't really sound like Edwards, could be MacArthur. Help! Does anyone know who said this?
    Sorry.
    WallyGator

4. Plain ol' Ralph

Appreciate the responses.

Have any of you into these that say this,"I know what I felt and I don't care what anybody else has to say about it!"? (Even when you show them Bible against what they "felt"?)

5. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Psalms 37:8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do NOT fret- it only leads to evil.

I've learned this from personal experience.
    When someone needlessly harms or injures you , what do we do, but react with EMOTIONAL outrage and outbursts..

I've learned that allowing God to work is the BEST way to find your feet and find peace.
    Do we really have enough room in our hearts to harbor angry, bitter, hateful, or vengeful emotions?

I don't, so I lay it at the feet of the Lord, walk by faith and wait.. ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT...on the Lord that is.

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Actually had a good friend that I lead to the Lord several years later set on my couch and tell me he had prayed about it and "felt" it was the Lord's will for him to leave his wife and marry another. I shared with him Scripture and told him there was no way that was God's will and that his feelings were wrong. He left my house and later left his wife and married the other lady. There has been nothing but hurt and trouble since.

Bro Tony

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not who you were thinking but your quote reminded me of the saying by Charles Swindoll, he calls:

ATTITUDE

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.
    Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.

Rob

8. Plain ol' Ralph

Actually had a good friend that I lead to the Lord several years later set on my couch and tell me he had prayed about it and "felt" it was the Lord's will for him to leave his wife and marry another. I shared with him Scripture and told him there was no way that was God's will and that his feelings were wrong. He left my house and later left his wife and married the other lady. There has been nothing but hurt and trouble since.

Bro Tony
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sounds too familiar!

There is the "Bishop" Jim Earl Swilley, "CITN", that said the Lord told him to divorce his wife and marry the "pastor" he is now married, and they ride to church in a limo on Sunday mornings. And they're white!!! :eek:

9. Plain ol' Ralph

I agree, but shouldn't we react to those whom we think ourselves to be in disagreement by the same rule? Though what they say, and often just misunderstood, makes us angry,( usually due to some sort of "hurt") we should still " be angry and sin not".

10. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Do you think attitude could be the mindset of Christ? At least for the Christian.