1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Encryption

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Jul 25, 2008.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the announcement that customs officials have the authority to inspect laptop, camera and phone files of those coming into the country, can entry into your home without cause be far behind?

Anyway, has anyone come across any software cheap that will lock peeky pesty law people out of my personal information?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with that is, if you refuse, they will most likely confiscate the equipment.

Pardon my pessimism.

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

4. Pete

Pete New Member

5. larryjf

larryjf New Member

More specifically, what my program does is allow you to simply drag and drop files into the program itself. This allows for multiple files to be encrypted at the same time. It also gives an extremely easy user interface.

When you encrypt your files, simply drag them onto the icon for the program. The original files are deleted in a secure way and the new encrypted files appear with the same file name and the addition of a ".cry" extension. So if you encrypted "Sermon.doc" the encrypted file would be "Sermon.doc.cry"

To decrypt files you do the same thing...just drag and drop. Because it recognizes the ".cry" extension it automatically knows that you want to decrypt the files.

The program automatically prompts the user for a password, without which the files can't be decrypted.

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Larry, pmed you.
    Thanks Pete but I was hoping for a little more selection :laugh: wow, what a stash!

7. larryjf

larryjf New Member

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks much, will give it a try.

9. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Back up all data. Low level reformat hard drive. Install a linux distro. Restore backed up data. Encrypt data. Watch monkeys go bananas trying to figure out a non winDoze system. ;-)

10. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Installing LInux would leave me as the monkey going bannanas using my data - been there done that a number of times and find linux very lacking :laugh:

11. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

I did too when I first started at the beginning of this decade. Plus it took me a couple of years experimenting to find the right distro. But now Linux rocks, well Ubuntu rocks, some distros are buggy and lack support. My newest laptop came with Vista, I loaded Ubuntu on the second partition, without any of the usual complications, and went back and forth for several months. Ubuntu recognized all my hardware, wireless, integrated webcam, the works. Vista lost drivers, takes forever to load, is clunky, and buggy. I loathe Vista, it "inhales vigorously", I haven't booted up in Vista for months. If I could revert it back to XP I would for games, but all my work is in Linux, I'm thinking about formating that partition for audio files. I have an old HP with 98 that we keep around for games.

12. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a cheapy laptop outfit here that has an ad that says they are putting something on their laptops that everybody wants - XP :laugh:

I don't mind it on a new machine, but added an upgrade to my older box and fought problems for over a month and finally upgraded to XP.

Have dinged with a dozen linux systems but haven't found one that runs esword and Word adequately. They are must haves for my use.

13. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

I use gnomesword for my Bible and OpenOffice for my office suite. Even when I still dual booted with XP I used OpenOffice for windows. It is much more stable than Word. I used to publish a newsletter with a Header, a SideBar, and double column. I constantly fought the layout format shifting and mis-printing. After I found OpenOffice, I will never go back. OO was kinda buggy when I first started using it, but they quickly worked those out, and it was nothing compared to the problems I was having with Word.

If esword is an absolute must, it runs under Linux with Wine. It used to be a real pain to get it working, but word is that when Wine 1.0 was released, people installed and ran it with no problems.

Anyway, I am completely micro$oft free (except for the kids computer for games) and every program I use is open source and downloadable at no charge. I am on the "linux4christians" list serv and they have been very helpful at answering questions and helping with any issues. Much better than any tech support I've ever dealt with and much faster response time.