1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured End of Days? What signs do you see?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 14, 2014.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't.
    He doesn't say one way or another, he neither affirms nor denies it.

All one can say for sure from this passage is - maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

IMO.

HankD

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

That is not sufficient to establish a doctrine, particularly when it is contradictory to what Jesus Christ is clearly teaching in John 5:28, 29.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the doctrine of the Trinity.

There is not one passage in the Scripture which uses the word "Trinity".

There are several doctrine such as trinitarianism which are developed from a composite of passages, comparing scripture with scripture.

HankD

#43 HankD, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which is why I pointed out the correct interpretation is "various", not where divers go.

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Israel becoming a nation, increase in earthquakes, church falling away is a big one to me. The church has replaced the supernatural with the worlds remedies for sickness of the mind and body.

6. OldRegular

Yes, but the Doctrine of the Trinity does not conflict with any Scripture, even that passage which states: Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: [Deuteronomy 6:4]

7. OldRegular

I say Grasshopper:saint:, that is exceedingly gracious of you!:laugh::laugh: divers indeed!

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [/QUOTE]

Yes..they believed it was the last day as described in jn 6

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't get me wrong OR, my thought is that all of eschatology is difficult and of my own view the overall details concerning the Day of The Lord is one of preference and not of total conviction.

Well one total conviction I have however is that Jesus shall return bodily to the earth when the time is right.

Other matters of doctrine that are not found in scripture - e.g. The canon of Scripture, no where in the scripture itself does there exist a list of the inspired books of the bible. How then do we know there aren't others - or one or some are not authentic? Faith in God of course and His church - it took centuries to develope the doctrine of the Trinity and define the Canon of Scripture.

The first edition KJV contained the Apocrypha and included parts of the apocryphal books in the list of Daily Scripture Readings. These were romish grave clothes.

Because a doctrine needs to be devloped out of a composite procedure over time doesn't negate its validity.

So, I don't accept the premise that a pre-trib rapture violates scripture.

A pretrib rapture is my present preference (It wasn't always and it may change).

On the other hand I concede that I may be wrong and you may be right (or we could both be wrong).

I think we are going to find out soon enough.

HankD

10. OldRegular

Hank

First and foremost when it comes to Eschatology I believe in the visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and great glory, the resurrection of the dead, the White Throne Judgment, and the New Heavens and New Earth where the redeemed will dwell in the presence of God.

I believe that John 5:28, 29 rules out the pre-trib rapture but I cannot be too dogmatic about eschatology, only God can.

The major problems I have with dispensational doctrine are the concept of the "parenthesis" Church and the teaching that God has two distinct peoples; an earthly people, Israel, and a heavenly people, the Church. It seems to me that any reading of Scripture and certainly the last three chapters of Revelation rule out the idea of two different peoples of God. The doctrine of the "parenthesis" Church is put to rest by John 17:4. I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are more in agreement than disagreement OR.

I agree with you and disagree with the Scofield notion of the two peoples, however that one people are of mixed race and nationality.
    There is only one people of God, however some are from the physical loins of Abraham and some from the gentiles.
    In Revelation as you mentioned there will be one people, notice that both Israel and the church are referred to by the 12 Gates (Tribes of Israel) and the 12 foundations (12 Apostles).

Distinct is different than separate. In the New Jerusalem we are one, no wall of division.

HankD

12. OldRegular

Well said Hank! I have always found the description of the Bride of the Lamb, the great city, holy Jerusalem in Revelation 21 to be absolutely fascinating. The naming of the gates as the 12 tribes and the foundations as the 12 Apostles is, to me, convincing proof that God has only one people.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed:

Ephesians 2
    11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
    12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
    13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
    14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
    15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

HankD