1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Endurance

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Bible-boy, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I have just watched the most fascinating and inspiring movie! Endurance recounts Ernest Shackleton's doomed 1914 expedition to Antarctica

In 1914, at the outset of WWI, Sir Ernest Shackleton and 27 men headed south in an attempt to become the first men to cross Antarctica. Their ship The Endurance became trapped in pack ice and was eventually crushed. They were out of radio range and no one knew of their fate. Shackleton and his men spent nearly two years living on the pack ice and at Elephant Island.

Shortly after arriving at Elephant Island Shackleton and five other men heroically sailed, in an open 22' boat, approximately 850 miles across the most deadly ocean in the world. During the trip they were only able to make four sextant readings to determine their position. The rest of the time they navigated by "dead reckoning." They made for South Georgia Island in order to send a rescue party back to the 22 men left behind on Elephant Island.

When they reached South Georgia Island they landed on its opposite side away from the inhabited whaling stations. The men and their boat were in no condition to attempt to sail around the Island. Three of the six men were in no condition to attempt to cross the interior of the island. Thus, Shackleton and two other men walked across the unmapped interior mountains and glaciers until they reached a Norwegian whaling station. Shackleton later wrote:

Dispite overwhelming odds Shackleton brought all of his crew home alive. Not a single man was lost!

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Great story ... There was an A&E movie on it and there is an IMAX movie as well. Both are well worth seeing ...

3. Molly

Molly New Member

We saw the Imax version of this. It was amazing!

Molly [​IMG]

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Yep,

I saw the A&E version first. It was titled Shackleton. I liked it except for the Hollywood artistic license where they made it appear that Shackleton was unfaithful to his wife.

The Imax version is titled Endurance. I rented it on DVD. It has great extra material that shows the descendants of Shackleton and some of the Endurance crew members at the Endurance exhibit in New York. It was very moving to see Chippy McNish's son reach out and touch the side of the James Caird where his father had raised her gunnels for the 850 mile treck across the raging Antarctic seas. I found it very interesting that the men who survived this ordeal never spoke about it to their own families.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having read the bio, but never saw the movie. I scratched my head and wondered WHY someone would go through such an ordeal and privations.

Is anyone HERE interested in crossing Antartica? Count me out! :eek:

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I have thought about it and no, not for me. Nor climbing Mt. Everest - people come back, the luckier ones, without noses, teeth or toeses.

A cruise ship that shirts the Antartic coast in the summertime might be more appealing.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the A&E version which was, despite its liberties, stunningly brilliant in photography and appropriately spare in its narrative. An incredible story.

As far as wanting to go there, no, thanks. Even Kansas is too cold for me.