1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

England not granting visa for valid passorts

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

This could play on a lot of people's emotions. But to be truthful I would say it is the UK's call, they need to go by their laws and protocol.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But why should they reject a valid passport

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree. The UK has a right to reject passports. The reason here is that these passports don't meet security regulations.

Doesn't the US refuse to accept valid Cuban passports?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As if that is the same thing,:rolleyes:

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another point is these passports are issued by the Iroquois Confederacy. So, accepting them as valid brings up a foreign policy question for the Brits. By recognizing the passports, HM's government would tacitly recognize the IC as a sovereign independent nation.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Does the UK wish to recognize the IC as a sovereign independent nation, which they aren't.
    With that said I don't think it is a valid passport.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This is quite a dilemma. If the UK accepted these passports would they be called on to accept Basque or Chechen passports should those be issued?

10. billwald

billwald New Member

They are not valid passports issued by the US govt. If GB honored them it would bebthe equivalent of recognizing an American Indian tribe as a sovereign nation in the same way that the US or Mexico is a sovereign nation. Should every American Indian tribe . . . every tribe in the world be given a seat in the UN?

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I have a great idea. We can give up the US seat at the UN...and they can draw straws for it.

One of them wins a seat, and we win the grand prize: We'd be out of one of the most brain-dead organizations in existence.

12. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

This is interesting. The Indian tribes are considered domestic dependent nations, under the authority of Congress. I didn't know they issued their own passports, but I do know that some issue license plates.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The situation arises because the IC's reservation\reserve straddles the Canadian US border. Both countries for various and sundry reasons recognize the passports for IDs. As they are the obsolete version, it made it easy for the Brits to reject them.
    I wonder what will happen when the IC gets the funds to upgrade its documents. All they need to do is contract the passport printing to someplace like Montenegro that has the modern facilities and needs the cash.

#13 Squire Robertsson, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure the Turning Stone Cassiaano, (misspelled intentational) could afford to issue security apporved passports to all IC members. The Turning Stone is a big money maker and pays no taxes!!! (that is a big issue here in CNY and NY State) They bring in some very big Hollywood names for shows.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't know what the IC had for making money. I figured it had more than a little cash on hand. After all this is all about sending their lacrosse team to Britain. I also figure there must be some company in Europe that prints passports under contract for the smaller countries. After all does the Vatican, San Marino, Liechtenstein, or Monaco print their own passports. Unless thes countries contract with Italy, France or Austria, they must have somebody do the work.

16. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's the rub: much as the UK would like to recognise the validity of the passports (the Iroquois after all invented lacrosse), under UK law it can only do recognise passports of countries it recognises as independent; therefore, were it to recognise these passports as genuine, it would mean that it recognised the IC as an independent country and would have to establish diplomatic relations with it eg: setting up a British Embassy in upstate New York. I think Hillary Clinton, for all her pro-IC rhetoric over the past week, would have a problem with that, as would the rest of the Obama Administration. Besides, how on earth are we supposed to judge the validity of a document written on tree bark??!

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passports weren't written on tree back. From the looks of them, they are the same format and tech level as the old style US passports. Though I agree about the diplomatic recognition. Though, there's probably a clause in the peace treaty ending the War of 1812 about the Crown's support of tribes along the border that they could invoke. But, even if they did recognize the tribe, all they need to do is set up an office supported by High Commissioner\Embassy in Ottawa in the part of the Reservation\Reserve on the Canadian side. Not much the US could do and the Canadians are strong supporters of their First Nations.