1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English as a Second Language (ESL) Material

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Squire Robertsson, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does any one know of a source for "good" ESL material? I know I can find secular stuff. But, if some one has developed material from a Christian perspective so much the better.

2. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have some stuff that I used in China this summer. Don't remember who put it together, though, but I can check into it for you.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

There used to be a system built around the book of Mark.

It was SBC in origin, but I am not sure who the publisher was.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: Saggy, the namb address sent me to the National Association of Brokers site. Unless you know something about them I don't.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try NAMB.NET . I doubled checked and it does work. Wow I did my good deed for the week [​IMG]

Salty

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

lol.
    NAMB.net.

I think it is through them, or maybe you could email a request to language consultants.

8. rmered

rmered New Member

Squire,
    Ed and Dorothy Woods with Continental Baptist Missions have a program from a Christian perspective. Their email is [email protected]
    Bob

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The best program is from LEI- Literacy and Evangelism, International. They used to have a web page but can't find it right now, here is some other info...

http://members.tripod.com/jrmeads_515/lei.htm

Literacy & Evangelism International, John C Taylor, Dir, 1800 S Jackson Ave, Tulsa, OK 74107- 1897; Ph: 918-585-3826; Fax: 918-585-3224; ECFA, EFMA; Interdenom, Intermission; Teaches non-readers (half the world), Christian/non-Christian, to read Scripture; Teaches Christians to witness Christian faith/life; Literacy for church planting; Fnded 1967.

They also offer a training program and it is excellent!

(And no, I don't work for them, I just went through the training and have been very impressed with the results.)

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for all of your leads. I will be following up on them. What's happening is I teach the Russian Bible Class in our Adult Sunday School program. These folks have a bare working knowledge of English. However, because Russian is so highly inflected (think NT Greek) they are scared of making a mistake in English grammar. :eek: Easy to do in Russian :confused: , harder to do in English. So, I amj taking a few minutes at the start of class and clarify in their minds something simple like
    Now, it's on to adjectives and adverbs.