1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English Standard Version

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by bapterian, Jun 26, 2003.

1. bapterian

bapterian New Member

What is your opinion about the new English Standard Version? I've read positive comments about this Bible from respected Christian leaders and scholars. Just wondering what the good folks on the BB think.

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I believe it is one of the most readible English versions we have. I prefer it over the NIV, but I still study out of the KJV. I often refer to the ESV though to help with contextual problems.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It is the Bible believer's choice version. It's accuracy, literal translation, and readability makes it suitable for all around usage. I use it as my primary translation. The NASB is close behind, but the ESV is superior. Its translators and advisors are a who's who of solid conservatives. Made me switch from being NASBonly to ESVOnly [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I was crazy about it at first. But as I have used it more and more, I like it less and less. Some of the translation choices bother me. It could just be becuase I am used to other more traditional readings and don't like change. :eek:

God Bless You,
    Neal

5. Singleman

Singleman New Member

I like the ESV a lot; it's literal but still very readable. I'm using it more and more. Ironically, the ESV doesn't differ radically from the RSV on which it is based. A few notorious passages like Isaiah 7:14 have been "de-liberalized," but otherwise it reads very similarly to the RSV. That's not a criticism, just a comment.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this version acceptable in any of your churches yet, or just for personal study?

I was raised with such a "distrust" [read: hatred] for the liberal RSV that anything based "on it" would be way beyond suspect.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Dr. Bob, a look at the translators and review team would ease any worries you have. Find it at www.esvbible.org

8. aefting

aefting New Member

For some this will be a hurdle. My understanding is that the liberal bias of the RSV was not so pervasive as to make it impossible to revise. You will see some translation choices that are "non-traditional" but when you check them out, at least I've found, that those choices better reflect the underlying text. I love the ESV and hope that one day it will gain wide spread acceptance.

That being said, there is one passage in which I think they made a major blunder, especially when you consider the reservations that conservatives will have with an RSV-based translation. In Micah 5:2, they leave the RSV's "whose origin is from of old, from ancient days." This is unacceptable as it implies an orign for Christ. IMHO, "whose goings forth" is really the only to translate the Hebrew. BibSac had a pretty famous critic of the RSV back in the 50's or 60's and actually highlighted this verse. I'm very surprised that the ESV translators left it alone.

Andy

9. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Me too. I talked to my Hebrew teacher about it and he concurred that it was not the best way to translate the passage.

God Bless,
    Neal

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Originally posted by neal4christ:
    >>I was crazy about it at first. But as I have used it more and more, I like it less and less.

<Off topic>

Hey Neal,
    PM me: I have a question for you.

<Back on topic>

11. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

I believe the ESV is arguably the English translation that bests combines accuracy, readability, and literary quality. Like TomVols, the ESV and NASB Update are at the top of my preference list.

I am puzzled, though, as to why the ESV apparently hasn't gained more of a foothold in the market yet. I wonder if it's a publisher problem or something else.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

For one thing, it was released around 9/11. People weren't paying much attention to Bible ads then. Second, the TNIV controversy was in full bore. Third, Crossway is a lot like Lockman in that it doesn't have the media oomph like Tyndale does for the NLT and Zondervan does for the NIV.

But give it time. It'll catch on.

13. bapterian

bapterian New Member

It's hard to convince folks that they need to buy an new Bible when they are happy with their current translation. A new quality made Bible can be expensive. Also, it's a tough market flooded with "new" or "updated" translations. I agree with TomVols. It will take time for the ESV to catch on and it will slowly gain favorable reputation by word-of-mouth.

Crossway will need to convince pastors and church leaders that the ESV is the one they need to use. Why? The translation a pastor uses greatly influences his congregation. There is no advertising stronger than the recommendation of your pastor or trusted mentor.

14. Trapper

Trapper New Member

I too started out excited about the ESV. I started preaching from it 3 months ago, yet I've decided to go back to the NKJV. I simply feel like I have lost confidence in it. For example, I was studying "crowns" (crown of glory, crown of life, crown of righteousness, ect) last week. The ESV translates it "wreaths" Perhaps that is a better translation but it sure didn't give me a comforable feeling. So, I'm not putting it aside completely, just not preaching from it.
    Ol Trapper

15. Forever settled in heaven

i just went to the museum n saw some beautiful laurel wreaths in gold in the Roman display.

they're really nice looking, but they don't look at all like diadems! fwiw ;)

16. aefting

aefting New Member

When compared to the KJV, the only place I could find where the ESV uses "wreath" instead of "crown" is in 1 Cor. 9:25. Athletes in Paul's day got wreaths when they won, not crowns. The only other places that the ESV does not use "crown" occurs in Rev. 12:3, 13:1, and 19:12, where it uses "diadem." Not really a big change in my book. All the other crown passages (at least in the NT) appear as crown passages in the ESV.

Andy

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I do not believe the ESV accuracy, the ESV superiority and its literal translation.

18. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to explain why?

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Care to explain why? </font>[/QUOTE]Likewise any modern versions. Nothing new!

20. Anti-Alexandrian

Because the ESV came from the ultra-liberal RSV of the NCCC.