1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salamander, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, English (with a capital "E") is the subject of this thread.I'm just stating the obvious.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, you made that accusation on another thread a few weeks ago, and I PROVED you WRONG about that statement. Care to retract it now? That is a personal attack, and I want to see C4K reprimand you for it! But I won't hold my breath.

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I already penalized him 15 yrds. No need to pile on :tonofbricks:

4. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, if you or I had posted something like that, we'd be "called to the woodshed" by now! Yet they deny bias on here. I said before this forum is sad. Now it's becoming sickening.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We have a button to report posts because the moderators are not omnipresent.

6. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just reported two! Thank you! :thumbs:

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You must not have checked the one - because I snipped it before I posted the request to report posts.

8. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, C4K! I apologize, and take back anything "mean" I've ever said about you! :thumbs:

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the problem now is that folks QUOTED the offensive part - I did not know what was "clippled" (thank you C4k) but just reading a bit further and there is was again and again and again. :tonofbricks:

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks Dr Bob. It exacerbates the problem when people keep quoting an offensive post and never report it.

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Sorry for quoting, but I didn't find it that offensive. Just part of the norm.

But thanks for your effort.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to be more specific?What thread and date are you referencing?

13. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Call me blind but I don't see any 'put down' there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion about ... what was it?...

Oh, yes- how the translation of the Scriptures into English affects the veracity of the Scriptures.

15. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I basically agree with your overall position. If KJV-Onlyism was universally adopted by the True Church today, what would be the situation, say, in the year 2409? (Assuming that English changes at least at the same rate it has for the last 400 years.) But I have some difficulties with some of your specific statements. For example --
    You state "a language" (singular) so it is unclear whether you are referring to either Hebrew or Greek. They both still exist, or else we wouldn't be talking about them (I think you meant as an 'active' language); and they CAN be understood (for the most part).
    I agree that if we don't read or speak a language, then we may want a translation.
    Beowulf is technically Old English (not even Middle English). However, in the strictest sense we specifically speak in Modern English (since about 1550).

#35 franklinmonroe, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yet ye say we cause schizms, rather we do tend to be in unity whilst others are flocking to every wind of dcotrine!:wavey:

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Due to a convenience of sorts, yet no one ever spoke as the 1611's language. It is distinctive in its relativities to the original tongues as being perfectly definable beyond the disparaging atlerations of modernisms.:godisgood:

Nothing is misleading in its contextual harmony, that cannot be said about modern versions and remain honest.:sleeping_2:

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Dost thou condmenest thyself, my Brother, in Christ Jesus? I wot not thou shouldest continue in such a manner as to hang thyself so readily.

I agree, your "attack group" is unacceptable. If you're not attacking the KJB, you're attacking those who kinow it to be accurate in relating to anyone the mind of God.

19. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I mean that the precise Hebrew/Greek of that time no longer exist. There are many professors and scholars that are very good a determining the meanings from that period, but the languages from that time are gone. Just as the language from 17th Century English is gone. None of us speak it natively.

That is the central point of my post. If you got that, then the rest is just supportive.

Exactly, Old English, Middle English, Classic Greek, Greek of I don't know how many forms. Languages constantly change.

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You're taking a walk in the great wide open to suggest anyone has said anything to the contrary.

No matter how often the receptor tongues change, the root meanings are the only ones that remain intact. Not knowing the nuances of the modernisms of vernacular one can be led astray as to the meaning. So to prevent that confusion, we stick with the best of all versions as in relating the message within its covers.

We find that the original meanings have been altered by modernizations of the words. That is our objection! If that causes a schizm then so be it!:godisgood:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.