1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

English

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salamander, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Uh-huh, but now apply the modern understanding and HONESTLY make that same claim.:sleeping_2:

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Again the problem is your contextualization, not the English language (KJV1611 or otherwise).

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

translated virgin the meaning is the same, translated maiden the meaning is the same, translated young woman the meaning changes.

I accept that, I would not use a translation that uses "young woman". But what about the others?

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Why not 'young woman' since that is indeed the meaning? There is actually another Hebrew word for virgin- 'bethulah'. Surely the Lord would have used that word had He wanted to.

And again, I would suggest that the problem is improper contextualization rather than poor interpretation.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As far as I know that is the only major translation to make that choice. But that doesn't stop some from proclaiming their baseless charge against the "MV"s regarding this passage. One translation makes all versions guilty.

6. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

The sources I read do not support that almah means "young woman" but that it could mean young woman, maiden, virgin. Other translations chose virgin.

This supports what I said about using KJ as a validator. It has worked for the English language for many years and is time tested. KJ chose virgin. NKJ chose virgin. NASB chose virgin. ASV chose virgin. ESV chose virgin. They are much smarter than I so I'll stick with virgin.

However just because I don't like RSV, why should I throw out (delete would be more acurate) my ASV or ESV?

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

From Vines

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Okey-dokey. I'm not wanting to pick a fight with you, or Mr. Vines for that matter.:laugh: :thumbs:

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Nope, the problem is that everyone doesn't hold to the modernization of the contextualizations according to the ever-changing societies.

The English of the 1611 is preserved in contextualiztion.

I love it when a Spanish speaking individual attempts to teach English!:laugh:

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The idea of "a young woman" leaves one to the choice as whether the female is a virgin while "virgin" makes no distinction to the age of the female, but leaves no room for error as to whether she is a virgin.

Maiden: an unmarried girl or woman

I see no distinction made here either of her virginity, eyt many unmarrieds are virgins but definitely not all are virgins.

"Virgin" makes the unquestionable determination.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am grateful for this who speak more than one language, they really help us with grammar in our own language.

Mexdeaf is an American who is fluent in at least 3 languages:

English
    ASL
    Spanish
    and I would guess Mexican Sign Language?

Wish I had the smarts he has to deal with language.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Why are we fighting over a rendering that only appears in one major translation that is really no longer is use?

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

yet you would leave people at the mercy of the deceiver to not know whether or not Mary was a virgin.

I believe the true contextualization DEMANDS the use of "virgin".

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And I love it when people jump to conclusions about me because of my nom-de-plume. I was born in the USA and never learned Spanish until I was 40 years old. Plus I can spell 'veracity'.:laugh:

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

As far as i know no one has made the claim of guilt here, but clarity is in question when a word is shown to not be the "best".

I believe I have shown the word "virgin" to be best.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is quite clear from the Scriptures that she was indeed a virgin even if you do not use Isa. 7:14 for proof. The Devil had nothing to do with it.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

It would all have to do with the acceptance of leaven in the mix.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't think any serious Bible scholars have any problem with this passage, but I do think that virgin is the only translation since thats how Matthew translates it.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

No insult to his education, but the proofs are overwhelming that "virgin" is best, no matter the learning of an individual.

I find it strange that some one would consider it "better" for an individual fluent in at least three languages to have any authority over the proofs of contextualizations by his insinuations according to his fluency, or lack thereof.

You are turning this into something personal and that is NOT my intention.

FOUL!

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

What;s not in use? It is another proof why we should stick with that which is tried, proven, and true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.