1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Enough of Dave Ramsey I am turning to John MacArthur on a theology of finances!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got turned down for another job I applied for that was first shift and a decent pay.This was another one where I had more qualifications and experience they expected for someone of that pay rate and they thought I would be gone in a month or two if they hired me. Thats two in a row with that answer! Well have made an additional resume that does not lie, but does not list my two college degrees. I have a interview in a hour so I need to prepare.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lord be with him.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If the person is employable, a better thing would be to assist them in getting a job. I will not donate to anyone unless there is a situation where they cannot earn money and even then, it would depend on the situation.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Young man, I am not in debt because I have continuously worked from before I graduated High School. I have probably been out of work a total of two months in the last 50 years.

I also have always been very careful how I manage my money, I do not buy things on credit. This is why I am not in debt.

I have seen you on BB for about 2 years now I believe, I don't remember you holding a steady job for any length of time in those 2+ years. Yet, you are always buying new books. There are certainly worse things you could buy, but you need to quit buying and pay off your substantial debt. It would not be morally right for me or anyone else to pay your debt when you are a healthy young man who could easily work. It is not the same as Webdog who was severely injured and would probably have great difficulty working.

If you can stand on the street and bark at people for hours, you could work. Maybe you should get a sales job where you talk to people. I am being serious here, you love to talk, well, use that strength and ability you have. Sales jobs are some of the best paying jobs out there, and they are always looking for folks in this line of business. I know, I was a salesman for many years and made an excellent living at it.

You should not be buying books, you should be out there looking for a job so you can pay off your debt. You are not going to get out of working, have you read the curse?

Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Trust me, I don't like working any more than the next guy, but it MUST be done. You need to face reality and get out there and get a job, and then hold that job. And when you do, don't waste your paycheck away, make regular payments toward your debt. It might take you 5 years, but you will eventually get them paid off.

But it would not be right for me or anyone else to help you when you are a young able-bodied person who could work.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You would rather be in debt? And what of workplace evangelism? I guess you can only speak of God in the streets?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I worked for 2.5 years at one company before they had company wide- layoffs in December 2011. That was not my fault.. Then my next job I worked at for 14 months before I MOVED to get married. Since that time I have done some TEMPORARY assignments. TEMP jobs are not meant to be permanent positions.

I am taking my time to find the right job for me as I desire to work somewhere a long time. My longest time of employment was for five years before I QUIT to pursue better opportunities in 2007. I have had trouble in Denver because I have taken whatever I could find and not the right positions. The Beer Factory was a mistake and my own fault for being too desperate. My last job was also another mistake I had made and I chose it solely on pay. I had red flags of that one in the interview.

Its best to find the right fit and stay there a long time. I probably should have stayed with that employer of five years in 2007 but I wanted better pay...

So my new strategy is to stay on unemployment for as long as it takes to find the right fit for me and not just the job today which may be a TEMP or the wrong fit.

#66 evangelist6589, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Or it could be that your work history is so spotty that they just felt obligated to give you that answer.

The next job you get, stick with it for a year, even if it is "beneath you". then once you have a year in, start looking for a better position if you have not already worked yourself into a great job at the present place.

I have found that 99 times out of 100, I can start at the bottom, out-learn and out-work the other employees then get promoted pretty easily. Bosses notice people who keep their noses to the grindstone, do the "extras" on the job that they are not asked to do, and don't whimper.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

What? They told you you were over-qualified for the job? Hard to believe, but if that is what they said, you should have told them that is not a problem, you are ready and willing to work for this pay rate.

You have to sell yourself to a prospective employer. You have to convince them you are a diligent worker who will show up every day ready to do the best job he can. That you can follow instructions and learn, and that you are not afraid to get down in the trenches and get dirty.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did that but they found someone whom was a better match. However they did say I was a impressive canidate in their email.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with you. Thousands of open air preachers are in debt and CONVICTED to preach the word to the Lost. Satan wants me and others off the streets and he will use unbelieers and even Christains to make an attemept.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enough of my personal problems on this site. My mistake in starting this thread. Some here love to JUDGE and without the facts. I do not use FB for this unlike so many others, but maybe I should as there I am connecting with friends not critics!

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hey, we agree again, this is exactly what I have found as well. Where I work now I started in the Heat Treat Department working with hot furnaces and dangerous chemicals. I looked like a coal miner at the end of the day. But I and a fellow Christian that attend church together worked hard. We were complimented on the good job we did by management. When there was an opening in Quality Department for Non-Destructive testing we both applied. We had to study and pass some very difficult tests, but we both made it. We got a big pay increase and the job is CLEAN. :thumbs:

You've got to be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up.

#72 Winman, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2013
  13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No, Satan wants you to remain jobless and in debt so you can be a bad testimony to the people that you owe money to, all the while thinking that you are doing "God's will".

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We report, you decide. We're trying to give you the benefit of many, many years of experience, but when we do, you react like a four-year-old.

If that is the way you react on a job-site when you are told you are doing wrong, no wonder you cannot hold a job.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, you are looking for folks to pamper you, when that is the last thing you need. You need a dose of "tough-love" and that is what we are doing here.

Someday you will realize that folks here actually care about you and are giving you good advice. It might hurt a little, but that is what you need to hear.

Pro 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

Do you understand what this scripture is saying when it says, "Faithful are the WOUNDS of a friend"? Folks here are trying to help you.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I disagree with you. The Bible says that a man who will not provide for his family is worse than an infidel. What kind of testimony is that? You prefer to be on unemployment and street preach than provide for your family? Interesting.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Never understood this line of reasoning. "Don't just listen to the teachers who you believe are accurately teaching the Bible. Listen to all the ones who you think are in error, too..."

:/ Why would you waste your time listening to a Bible teacher, if you firmly believed the foundation of his thought and exegesis was in serious error?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will listen to secular teachers as well because they are good in the subjects that they teach. How would believing in DoG or not affect how one handles money?

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Promise???

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nailed it. I think Evangelist is looking for a particular answer that would enable him to continue on his current path. When none is forthcoming, he does not take it well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.