1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enron style accounting in public schools

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Mar 7, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

.......In an interview with the New York Times, Kimball revealed that some schools have assistant principals who act as "bouncers," urging delinquent students or chronic absentees to quit. In addition, schools may hold back 9th graders who do poorly on a pre-test for the 10th grade math exam, producing an artificial "9th grade bulge" in student enrollment, Dr. Kimball said. Studies have demonstrated that students who are left back are more likely to drop out.........

http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/paige.htm

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Unfortunately, this is an unintended result of "no child left behind".

If parent would pay attention to what was happening and put up a fight, this sort of thing wouldn't happen. I know, because just one year ago the policy of my district was to charge kids and parent with truancy for chronic absentteeism or if there was a reason for the absences, such as chronic illness, to make things so tough on the parents that they would pull the kids out of school. This is illegal btw, but I was the first to fight it. Several parents that I know personally left the system because they didn't want to put in the time to research matters and meet with district admin. They had other priorities. My priority was my child's well being, and being told that they were going to be failures as adults was NOT helping!

There in lies the the above problem. If the parents themselves aren't going to hold the school system accountable, then abuse is going to happen. Unfortunately for high schools, they are getting the blame for problems that began in elementary school and most of those problems can be traced back to parents who believe that once their child hits the public school door, they should have to do nothing else toward their child's education including making them behave. Most parents never darken the school halls, don't know the teacher's name and if a problem comes up with their child it is the school's fault first, not their childs("my baby would never do something like that!")

Parents need to fullfill their own responsibilities before they start making noise about how bad the school is. If it really is bad, get work and start making suggestions to change things. Volunteer (it won't kill you), go to board meetings(NO ONE goes to board meetings unless there is a drastic problem and then it is too late to anything but complain), get to know admin and find out what struggles they are facing. Then offer suggestions that might make things easier for everyone. But don't think problems in the public schools are for someone to solve.

End mini rant of the day! :D

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

While parents do have a big responsibility in this, all the blame cannot be deflected on to the parents. Maybe we should teach less about things related to health and more on math science, ss, and history. To many non essential subjects fill our days at school.