1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entertainment as bait?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Jun 13, 2007.

1. JOAN OF ARC

JOAN OF ARC New Member

Did not 'Jesus' feed the multitudes...

Christian Youth,

That thought has been around since I was saved, 29 years ago...

For instance, what is wrong with inviting children (youth) to church for a piece of bubble gum...

And, the little darlings end up getting saved that Sunday... :saint:

My, at the time, 7 year old was the 'first' to get saved in this (my) family...

My, oh my, I don't have a problem with that at all...

Sincerely,
    JoA :flower:

Galatians 6:9

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Hit it on the head!:thumbs:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does Scripture say about the role of the church and when "deep preaching" should occur? If each church is autonomous, they can decide. Where did the early church in Acts have their deep preaching?

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

How sad.....these people could have really benefited from coming to Vacation Bible School at my church last week. There was a LOT of deep bible study and deep bible teaching going on......:saint:

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is a misstatement of autonomy, only God is truly autonomous in that sense.

Autonomy only means that an outside entity (human entity) can't butt into the local churches business.
    Duty before God remains the same.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why don't all churches do the exact same thing then?

Even so, where does it state in Scripture that the local church is supposed to provide "deep preaching"? I thought the gathering together on the first day of the week was done to worship. Nothing is ever said about preaching style or depth of any message. This is man putting man's touch on what a local church should or should not be.

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Wow . . . what more can be said. WOW.

8. christianyouth

Paul in Ephesians, speaks of the purpose of the church. Speaking of Christ, and in the context of the church, he says , "and He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers. For the equipping of the saints, for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."

This is silly. Do you thrive off of debate or is this your honest view?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That sounds like my response to your ME heresy. There can be a lot more said....like Scripture backing your view. I don't come to expect any, however, on anything.

#109 webdog, Jun 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is silly about one church's pastor preaching topically, one preaching life application, and one preachind "deep"? If there is only supposed to be one style of preaching, why are there so many pastor preaching all different styles?
    I have no problem with one pastor spending a year on one book of the Bible, and another preacher preaching expositionally while also applying life application. To me it sounds like your "proof text" in Ephesians sounds like life application preaching is the only way to preach.

11. JOAN OF ARC

JOAN OF ARC New Member

Church at home...

ShotGunWillie,

I do not believe 'church at home' is Scriptural...

These people need to find a 'church home'...that lines up with the Word of God... I Corinthians 12... :)

Sincerely,

#111 JOAN OF ARC, Jun 15, 2007
  12. JOAN OF ARC

JOAN OF ARC New Member

Many 'TOPICS' in one...

ShotGunWillie,

Whew...You have 'many' topics in one post...That is probably how you got your name, huh... :)

Now I do agree that alot of 'Baptist' churches have gotten away from the great commission...very, very, sad...however, I have no problem with having something special for the purpose of...'The Great Commission', *saved, *baptized and *added to the church...

Sincerely,

#112 JOAN OF ARC, Jun 15, 2007
  13. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I appreciate the comments, but actually churches were in homes before they were held in other places. Home churches are all around. If you cannot find a sound Bible Teaching Church in your area, why not have church at home. There are wonderful preachers that will send you their DVD sermons and you will be just one week behind their actual congregation on the Word that is spoken.

I would rather them get good Biblical teaching at home, then false doctrine in a church just for the sake of fellowship.

The Church today is far different than it was 10 to 15 years ago. Things are changing and moving into a different direction than was originally intended. The Spirit of the Laodicean Church is alive and well. The days of sound doctrine are coming to an end, self-help, material things, and life on Earth are far more important to people in the Church today. They have given themselves to false teachings and those teachers are giving into what the liberal-worldly congregations want to hear.

I think that just about covers it for right now...

14. JOAN OF ARC

JOAN OF ARC New Member

Church Planting...

Please, let me 'add' this...

There is nothing wrong with starting a 'Biblical Church' with the intent of calling a 'Pastor'. :)

Sincerely,

15. christianyouth

Willy, that is a sad assessment of Christianity today. :(

Christianity has taken its lumps, as this thread is revealing, but God always has a remnant. I understand that there is much self-help, weak theology, and church consumerism throughout Christianity, but at the same time, there is a wonderful Christian counter-culture emerging among people who hold to Reformed Theology. Through Paul Washer, and WOTM, John Piper, John MacArthur, and of course Ligonier, and the SB Seminary, there has been a huge interest in biblical, historical Christianity.

This is encouraging! :)

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

methinks Shotgun willie paints with too broad a brush.

And there's a world of difference between Joel Osteen & many good, solid churches. I'm not gonna lump them all together.

Are there dead churches out there? Yup...but to hear willie say it, there's almost none getting the job done. That's not accurate.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree and take a serious look at when Jesus did that "deep preaching." I have never found many to get offended when intellectual preaching occurs but when you start holding people accountable by asking them to do ministry or to ask them to tell you about the last time they shared their faith. It is the practical that often gets lazy ineffective people angry not the intellectual sermons.

18. JOAN OF ARC

JOAN OF ARC New Member

I am sorry...

Forgive me for taking this off course a bit, however...

rbell,

I could not stop laughing at your sig. line. :laugh:
    Okay, back to the entertainment thread... :)

Sincerely,

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That is pretty funny. I would probably add though that there are folks out there they don't even WANT to get a clue.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It may sound funny to some but that is exactly how one church began many more churches. The pastor came to the area to start a church. After a short time they started recording the worship service. Somebody came up with an idea to present the worship service at anothewr area. My sister atends there and told me that one Sunday there were about ten people when they showed the video. The next Sunday there were about 80. That church in working with the churches they have started has started about 37 new churches in about the last eight years. When the new church gets large enough to bring in a pastor then a pastor is hired and the new church fully supports the new pastor.