1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entertainment sinful?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OCC, Jul 16, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

DHK;
    AMEN! AND AGAIN I SAY...AMEN!!!

Can anyone object to DHK's point?

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You are correct DHK, that we have the Truth!

Not knocking the idea that there may be times when focusing on fasting and praying for a period of time is required/needed in order to accomplish an end. Christ himself pointed this out with his healing of the boy with a mute spirit.(Mark 9:14-29) He didn't tell us it was something we should do constantly.

Because we know the Truth, we also know that we don't have to spend hours pointed in a certain direction in order to talk to God. Nor do we have to ignore everything that is going on around us in order to come closer to Him. What you see as a better committment to their religions, I see as an enormous waste of time! When do I pray? Whenever the idea strikes me, wherever I am, about whatever I am doing. Sometimes I even pray while I am enjoying the Braves game on the TV.

Discussion such as this here on the BB are entertaining as well as giving lots of opportunity to open God's word to see what it really says.

But for the most part, you and I are in agreement. God first, entertainment somewhere in the appropriate timeslot(different for everyone).

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

DHK - If you are Baptist you are a member of a denomination.

If you aren't Baptist, how did you become a moderator on this board?

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term "Baptist" properly used isn't a denomination but rather a description of someone who holds certain distinctives.

"Southern Baptist Convention" is a denomination. "Baptist" is not.

Accordingly, a Baptist Church is a church made up of Baptists. Whereas a denominational church is an organization that has member churches and individuals.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

No one is arguing for letting any form or entertainment replace committment to God.

ANYTHING can be turned into abuse by a sinner.
    ANYTHING can be turned into GOOD by GOD.

I spent last night at the movie with my son.
    From what DHK has said on this board, that was a sin.

However - DHK has no right to make that judgment.

It happened to be the new "family drive in", so we were able to laugh and talk in ways that, frankly, we probably would have missed if we'd had a night at home. At home I would have felt compelled to do "household" chores like cleaning dishes after the meal, doing the laundry, mopping the floors.

Now, in my family, we talk about the bible, God and prayer quite often. In much the same way other people will talk about who did what at work or school, or who read what in the latest best-seller. The majority of our discussions about these issues come up during recreational times, and they are definately the quality discussions.

Sure - we have scheduled bible studies and prayer time, but those are often "stilted" and you can sense a feeling that you've forced the kids into some kind of homework. I don't blame them. An adult's devotional lesson probably seems miles and miles away from the things on a child's mind.

But during our recreational moments we open up to one another, and in opening up we go to God's word and we talk about it, and how it applies to our daily lives in a very natural way.

So to have someone like DKH imply that because there are people who abuse entertainment and recreation are less Christian than he is, is just prideful and rude and wrong. To make statements like he did about Satan being the source is also wrong.

Also - why is it that its "Satan's fault" when the discussion is something like this, but NOT Satan's fault when the discussion is about freewill?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"I don't dance, and I don't chew:
    And I don't go with girls that do!"

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

When I got saved I lived in a day and age where the first thing that a Christian did was give up things like tobacco, drink, foul language, dancing and going to the movies. Too bad it isn't the same today. I haven't done any of those things, including going to a carnal Hollywood-promoting, movie, in the last 35 years. Never will either. I won't darken one of those sin holes any more than I would darken the den of a bar.

"A bar to Heaven, a door to Hell;
    Whoever named it named it well!

DHK

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

Dear DHK,
    As the old joke goes:
    When TV's first came out, the biggest sales were to Baptists so they could catch up on all the movies they had missed. LOL

Actually, my IFB grandparents in the 30's and 40's went to the movies at least once a week. It was air-conditioned, for one thing.
    They did not just watch anything, though, even then.

Karen

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't live in the 30's and 40's. And for the first 20 years of my life I was Catholic. We could only get a black and white TV which usually had just one station, at the most two. There was nothing that was "risquee" on it, let alone anything even close to a "four letter word." The most violent thing on TV was Bugs Bunny. Nothing wrong with TV as long as it is controlled. Good source for news and sometimes education.

My parents were Catholic as I said, and would never let me near the theater (at least on my own).
    Once in a great while they would take me. I would say that they had higher standards than most Christians today. You can't edit out with a remote the previews to the other movies that they will show you, no matter how bad they may be, in a theater.
    DHK

9. Rachel

Rachel New Member

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

DHK -

"You can't edit out with a remote the previews to the other movies that they will show you, no matter how bad they may be, in a theater. "

How would you know the previews are bad if you never go?

And btw - In our town if it is a G movie the previews are G as well.

11. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

That explains a lot DHK.

12. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

13. OCC

OCC Guest

DHK, your explanation back a few pages was good. I agree with most of what you said but I disagree on this one point: three hours at a football game does not infringe on time living for the Lord and doing work for the Lord. One can still do all that they have to do before or after the game or sleep a little less. Basically that's all there is to it, no sense beating a dead horse. Glad to FINALLY see where you were coming from.