1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EPH 2:1 Quickeneth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ray Marshall, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

I understand, however that poor comman man does not have to read Greek or Hebrew - just english and those who have endevored to make known the full meaning that is not captured as eloquently nor as in depth as it could be from the original languages.

I agree that we should study with what we have but also to go beyond what is common and know the depths and heights of the Word of God. We have at our disposal all the equiment necessary for such studies without ever having to read Greek or Hebrew - such as just reading the material that has already been given by those who 'can' read it.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Except you are incorrect. Nothing is mentioned in the text about faith, simply that God made those dead in sin alive.

3. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Sure it is mentioned, in 2:8. And any confusion is cleared up by parallel passages using the identical terminology by the same author. See my last post.

Again, in Greek secular and religious writings, as well as Jewish sources, "death" is a very common reference to the more lowly things of life, and "life" the better things of life. Often the terminology has moral implications, but not always. Sometimes even bodily functions are called "death" by the Stoics.

But as you seemingly suggest, portions of the text can be ambiguous. Such isolated phrases are fertile ground for theories in search of validation.

4. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Ok, I see what you are saying.

In case you are interested, there are a number of modern, reader-friendly, literal translations out there. One of the ones I really like is the TransLine, which has the author's notes on the side. But it's $100. :(

#24 BaptistBob, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  5. OldRegular

I quoted only Ephesians 2:4-6, not verse 8.

The passage I quoted clearly shows that regeneration or the giving of Spiritual Life to those who are dead in sin is solely the work of God. Furthermore, verse 8 shows that faith itself is the gift of God.

I believe that the Stoics were Greek, not Jewish. Anyhow we are discussing Scripture, the Word of God, not extra biblical writings.

6. TomMann

TomMann New Member

I would be what you could consider a poor common man. My knowledge of scripture is limited in the fact I have really only come into interest in the later years of my life. I have read much only to have found out how little I really know. I have a good bible program with all the bells and whistles...... dictionaries, commentaries, lexicons, cross references..... etc.... I can read the scripture and pull up all sorts of opinions of what others think or have derived from their reading and study. Sometimes I can understand their line of thought and still disagree.

It is my considered belief that God's words proclaim his sovereignty far above any human ability to rationalize it away. To proclaim that God is sovereign but in his sovereignty has chosen to relinquish that sovereignty. And has done so in order to not deprive man of a choice or chance to fulfill the requirements of salvation. That my dear friends is beyond my comprehension.

All the other religions of the world place acceptance before God within the grasp of man. The only difference is the requirement to satisfy God.

How my soul craves the fellowship with believers who acknowledge the one true and living God.

7. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

Nearly everyone believes God is sovereign. God's sovereignty means that he gets to have things the way he wants them. If God wants to give man a choice, then it is his sovereign will to do so, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Imagine God hearing that one of his created beings is complaining that his behavior is beyond the bounds set by the imagination of that created being. A God so small that he can fit in a human's imagination is a pretty puny god.

How my soul craves the fellowship with believers who acknowledge the one true and living God described in Scripture.

#27 BaptistBob, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  8. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Your post speaks volumes about your character, BaptistBob.

9. OldRegular

That is correct!

For God to relinquish any of His sovereignty would be contrary to His nature. He is either eternally sovereign or He is Not God!

10. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

You mentioned the "text," and 8 is part of the "text."

Of course it shows that regeneration is the work of God. But what you want to prove is that it happen apart from/before faith. It simply does not prove that. In addition, the parallel verse in Col. 2, Roman 6 clearly support the idea that faith precedes regeneration.

No it does not. As I demonstrated last week, both grammar and syntax support the idea that "grace-through-faith" salvation is the gift. It is received through faith. "Faith" is a feminine noun, so it is not the antecedent being spoken of. There is only one type of salvation provided by God through Christ - that is the point.

As for faith being a gift, it is not the issue. The issue you intend to prove is that faith is an irresistible gift. The passage in question is useless for making that point, and that's why those who intend to use the passage for that purpose spend their time in the ambiguous portions of it.

You're only commenting on a portion of what I said. I commented on both Jewish and Greek sources. The NT was written in the Greek, so to ignore Greek meaning and usage would be a horrible mistake.

#30 BaptistBob, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009
  11. TomMann

TomMann New Member

BaptistBob, There are many many problems with your view of the Gospel. There are literally dozens upon hundreds of scriptures that...... well never mind, you have an answer for everyone. Not only grammar and syntax, but context and proper hermeneutics and exegesis. Not to mention that the bible is errant and only the Greek and Hebrew can be trusted, except where it doesn't align with your desired view, and then...... we don't have access to the originals. So we must apply a WWJD view to our understanding. I think what we have here is a case of man making god in his own image.

Scripture mentions a famine of the hearing of the Word of God, and I think we are arriving at that quickly. Even where it is preached (which is greatly diminished) it is often not heard. Amazing the number of fellow believers in the Doctrines of Grace that are leaning to a greater understanding of the Sovereignty of God tempered with the responsibility of man. Yes, even the great Calvinist body is leaning toward a free will view of Christianity, though unacknowledged by them.

I take comfort and solace in the single fact that not one of God's elect shall be deceived, all that the Father has given shall be saved. I know, I am way off the mark and have used errant scripture with limited understanding to arrive at such heretical view. Just humor me and I'll go away. Imagine the thought of a God who always does his will, always brings his will to pass. Who does as he wills among the armies of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth. Who would say that even as he has thought, he will bring it to pass. How off the mark.

#31 TomMann, Jul 5, 2009
  12. OldRegular

Then shall we start with Genesis 1:1.

I suggest you start with John 3:3-12 and work your way back.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

Exactly, and that is why we can not come biblcally to myth that regeneration precedes faith and that is also the reason many Cals/reformed are coming around to this biblical principle as well.

No, what we see here is someone esle who can not speak in christian love and grace and has to resort to ad-homs and slanderous speach in order to even make a responce.

Yes, it is amazing how the Spirit of God works in His church to bring forth truth and light.

I agree - how off the mark. No non-cal disagrees with one single point mentioned above but in fact preach each of the numbers I placed in your aboce post. So yes, you retort of 'off the mark'.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, lets :)

15. OldRegular

Let me know when you get to "In the beginning".

16. OldRegular

Allan it seems you can never get it right. Dead people can't believe!:sleeping_2:

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

If that is truth, then I'm sure you can produce scripture which in context states this.

While we are waiting for such I 'can' in fact show you were they do :)Actaully scripture states they do as do many of the Reformed position (Millard Erickson Systematic Theology and though some don't think he was Calvinistic Grudeman Systematic Theology)

It is kinda hard to agree with your position with verses like :

Study it out carefully and the implications thereof.
    As well as this one:

Notice where they are 'when' they turn toward God. One can not be in darkness and in Satans power while at the same time being regenerate (New Creation).

Biblically it is correct to state that born of the Spirit (New Birth) equals regeneration and that the new birth therefore equals the indwelling of the Spirit. For unless we are born-again 'dead', we must conclude with the scriptures that we are born 'with and in' Life. And thusly we are said to be Born into Christ. We see the scriptures bare this out when it states that we are 'alive in Christ'. Our life (the new birth) is because we are "IN" Christ Jesus and if you are IN Christ then you ARE saved according the scriptures.

And we know that no man is saved in this dispensation of grace (as Paul calls it) unless the Spirit of God has placed that person into the body of Christ Jesus through His baptism.

Something that has bothered me about the classical reformed stance on Regeneration prior to salvation with respect to their understanding of what Regeneration both 'is' and 'does'. (this however is not to be confused with the moderate reformed stance).

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit occurs at the moment of salvation and thus the New birth, according to scripture, and is described as an event in which the Old is 'No More' but you have become a new creation - all thing are now New.

We find in scripture that regeneration is primarily the acts of justification and sanctification (Titus 3:5) which result in being righteous and in Christ and thus being 'alive' because we are no longer seperated from God and sinfilled, but 'In Christ' seperate from sin and sin-cleansed. Spiritual life is being in God not merely being. Therefore it is impossible to be unforgiven (in sin/fulness) and be in Christ Jesus. Scripture states believe and be saved not be saved and so believe. That belief involves repentance for without it there is no forgiveness and thus one can not be in Christ prior to faith.

Thus the scripture states all those things which constitutes a regenerate life all come about 'through faith' and not prior to it, because it is 'by faith' we find in scripture that they all transpire.
    Therefore the truth is this, we are not first made regenerate that these things happen, but things things are in deed the regeneration itself. They discribe what changes the life (justification and sanctification) to something new thus they descibe the act of being regenerate or changed from the old into the New.

Thus scripturally the 'dead' in scripture can and do in fact believe 'unto life'.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no basis to make the assertion that "many Cals/Reformed" believe that faith precedes regeneration. That is just wishful thinking on your part.

What we have here is someone who cannot spell.:smilewinkgrin:

19. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

There are always people who need a reason for what they say and what they believe. Those are the types of people that I care to interact with.

That's my plan.

That's my God as well. We just differ on what his will is.

#39 BaptistBob, Jul 5, 2009
  20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Oh yes I do :). It is considered (if I remember correctly) the moderate view. Many does not mean majority.
    It is something taught in the Millard Ericksons systemmatic book on theology and is used in schools. And even if you don't like the fact that Grudem is considered Calvinistic, he also is another who's systemantic book on theology espouses such a view.