1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ephesians 1:4

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben Elohim, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

I am afraid, johnp, that we are all aware that the Calvinist chant is actually "my favorite Calvinistic interpretation of Scripture alone" complete with an outright denial of any other possible interpretation no matter how much reason one piles up to demonstrate otherwise. It can be summarized in this way,

"I see what I wanna see and refuse to accept anything else that might not be congenial to Calvinism."

I accept the plain mean of Scripture. Interesting that the Bible says something quite different than what you would have it say.

He chose Christians in Christ TO BE something and he made this decision before the creation of the world.

Not a thing here about God choosing who would be a Christian. Sorry but you will need your imagination for that one.

[ February 24, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Ben Elohim ]

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

(snort...coca-cola goes up the nose...gag...cough, cough...face turns red) [​IMG] (composes self) More like a handful of isolated sciptures-out-of-context-alone [​IMG]

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That was not the point. You changed the text of SCripture from "He chose us" to "he chose a condition." Do you not see that?

That is an incorrect belief.

That is demonstrably false since "before the foundation of the world" "us" didn't exist in that sense. We were not "blessed in the heavenilies" before the foundation of the world.

I never claimed that. I said that God chose individuals to be born again believers. THat is what Paul said.

And the choosing predated the "in him," showing yet again that God did not choose people who were already believers.

These verses are completely irrelevant to the point at hand.

That is exactly what Paul is saying ... that before the foundation of the world God chose us to be saved, in him, holy and blameless.

I would love for you to engage the substance of the debate. So far you have denied the substance of the debate by changing the world ("us" ot "condition") and by not dealing with what Paul is actually saying. I have no intent to demonize you. I encourage you to step up the plate.

Not at all.

You could, but you would have to use Scripture to demonstrate the validity of your points. I have done that. Some disagree on some issues out of conscience and that is fine. But you do not have the liberty to simply change what Scripture says.

I have not done as they did.

HOw do you know that? It doesn't exist ... Oh wait, that is another discussion ... :D

So far, you have changed the text of Scripture (Us to condition); you have denied the omniscience of God that is clearly taugh in SCripture. That is not a "high view" of Scripture. You have decided for some reason that you know better than God. That is unacceptable.

Completely false. I already demonstrated a major error in your interpretation. You simply chagned the verse (from "us" to "condition"). That is a major error. I have also noted a flaw in that you have God choosing something that not even he can know according to your position in another thread. You are very inconsistent. Other's problems have been pointed out as well.

4. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Well PL, I do hope you "step up to the plate" here and answer these questions.

1. With contextual support, please define the word "US" at Ephesians 1:4 with respect to specifically identifying that group.

2. With Scriptural support, please define the term "in him" at Ephesians 1:4 and explain its signficance in this verse.

3. Please provide your evidence that the term "before Him" necessarily means a present condition and not a description of being before God on judgment day. Please also explain why you find Ephesians 5:27 and Colossians 1:22-23, which use identical terminology, to be completely irrelevant.

And then we can get to the bottom of this.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Those who are chosen by God to be saved.

In him takes the norma connotation of "in Christ" and is a reference to salvation. That is a commonly used phrase in the NT.

"Before Him" refers to our standing in Christ as believers. In Christ we are holy and blameless because of his righteousness imputed to us. It deals with us both now and then.

Because they are not in the context of election. Eph 1:4 is about how we get that way. God's choice of us from before the foundation of the world is the answer. Neither passage addresses that. You can't just do theology by a concordance (looking for words). You actually have to look at the context of verses. If you want to talk about those, then please start a thread about them.

6. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

1. US defined as "an elect chosen before creation to become Christians."

So then may we all conclude that PL's definition of the word US at Ephesians 1:4 is "the elect," that is, those who would at some point in time become born again believers, that is, that your definition of the word here is not "those who are already born again believers" but "the elect" who will become born again believers since the elect (according to your concept of the term) were not born again believers at the foundation of the world. Is that correct?

2. The term "in him."

Would you agree the term "in him" refers to those who have already experienced the Ephesians 2:8 salvation event such that the term means they were converted into the risen Christ and are in this way "in Christ?"

3. Your claim "before God" means a present condition in this particular verse and does not refer to being before God on judgment day.

Where is your evidence for your claim and please explain why your evidence should be accepted and why it is valid evidence where the evidence at Ephesians 5:27 and Colossians 1:22-23 should not be accepted.

Step up to the plate.

[ February 24, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Ben Elohim ]

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That is what the verse says. God elected us. That makes us the elect. And obviously, they were not "born again believers" at the foundation of the world.

Salvation is when we are "in Christ," yes. But Eph 1:4 is clearly referring to something before that since you are not "chosen in him" after you are in him." YOu are chosen in him before ... and it is what leads you to being "in him."

The evidence can be found in any number of good commentaries complete with argumentation that I won't rehash here. If you are truly interested, study it out. Eph 5 and Col 1 should be accepted, just not in this discussion. It is not about election. It is about something else.

8. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Okay, so you have defined US in Ephesians 1:4 as "the elect" and not "already born again believers." I am glad we have made this clear.

You have said "in him" does not mean what it usually means at Ephesians 1:4. So then what DOES "in him" mean at Ephesians 1:5 PL and where is the evidence for your definition of the term?

And are you telling me that we should not look in Scirpture for the meaning of the phrase "holy and blameless before Him" but appeal to the wisdom of men? Please explain why I would want to do this. Is this not akin to a JW appealing to the works of Charles Taze Russell instead of using the Analogy of Scripture? And finally, please provide this evidence and demonstrate why it should be accepted.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

IN the interest of clarification, the "us" is born again by the time Paul writes. They were not in the context of God's choosing which was before the foundation of hte world. In the end, you cannot separate the elect from born again believers. They will be co-extensive. Right now, God is working to bring his elect to belief.

No, Go back and read. I said In him takes the norma connotation of "in Christ" and is a reference to salvation. That is a commonly used phrase in the NT. I said just the opposite of what you claimed I said.

I don't know why you would want to do it. I certianly wouldn't want to. Again, you didn't read carefully. What I said about those two passages has nothing to do with the meaning of holy and blameless, but rather with the context not being about election. The specific issue you asked was "when" .. and I answered that.

It may be. You will have to ask someone who thinks you should do that.

What what should be accepted?

10. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

1. So may we then conclude that you agree that the term "in him" is a reference to the reality of being positionally saved according to Ephesians 2:8 and raised up into the heavenlies with Christ?

2. You have still not provided any evidence why your definition of the term "before Him" should be accepted.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't think I disagree with that. I wouldn't put it that way. Depending on your response, I may have to clarify it.

Because it is what the text says. What other evidence do you need? What is your point?

12. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

I don't think I disagree with that. I wouldn't put it that way. Depending on your response, I may have to clarify it.</font>[/QUOTE]Can we agree that it necessarily refers to the position of born again believers of being "in Christ" as oppposed to their former condition of being "not in Christ"?

Because it is what the text says. What other evidence do you need? What is your point? [/b]</font>[/QUOTE]Because it is what the text says? So in other words, it means this and that because you say so and you don't need anything else? What exactly do you mean here? Do you not provide support for your interpretations or do you just interpret verses however you like? Please explain.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Those who are chosen by God are chosen to be saved ... which is what "in Christ" means. NOt sure what point there is here.

I interpret verses according to context. Yes, I can support with plenty but don't have the time to reproduce it here. IF you are interested, get yourself some commentaries and look it up. "Before him" refers to our standing in Christ before God ... We are holy and blameless because Christ's righteousness has been imputed to us to the praise of hte glory of his grace. We really don't need anything else. Just accept the text for what it says.

What is your point?

14. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

I do accept the text for what is says and somehow it does not say what you want and you refuse to 'step up to the plate" and come up with the goods PL. I have provided very good evidence for the meaning of the words "before him." You have yet provided none and have done nothing more than appeal to your favorite commentaries. You keep making claims without any evidence or support.

Secondly, I do not understand why are being so evasive about the term "in him." Can we not agree that this term applies ONLY to believers who are already born again?

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am not sure what you are lookign for. I have told you what i believe it means. I have told you how you can learn more. I have stepped up to the plate and delivered the goods. The commentaries are places where you can get a fuller explanation. I haven't seen you defend your understanding of "before him." In fact, I don't even know what your understanding is. NOt that it matters that much to me ... I just haven't seen it.

No, because in eph 1:4 it applies to those whom God chose from before the foundation of the world. Simply thinking through the text should clear that up for you. I am not being evasive at all. I have been clear.

16. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Good grief PL, I provided two verses that illustrate what Paul meant, Ephesians 5:27 and Colossians 1:22-23. This is called the Analogy of Scripture, letting Scripture interpret Scripture. But you want to tell me a commentary should interpret Scripture and ignore what Scripture has to say about it and not provide any support for your claim whatsoever. As it is, I can see now that you never will provide anything more than your own insistences.

Secondly, if the term "in him" does not only apply to believers who are already born again, to whom does the phrase "in him" apply? Who are "in Christ other than born again believers?

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

This is getting ridiculous. You are asking things I already answerd. "Before him" is defined by Scripture. You asked a specific point about it with respect to election, and then appealed to two passagse that don't deal with election. That isn't the analogy of Scripture.

Secondly, those "in him" are Christians, but in Eph 1:4 is it used with respect to election, that those are election "in him." It is the goal of election that they be "in him." In that specific context, it is used of those who are not yet "In him." Again, I am not sure why that is confusing.

18. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

So then you agree that the elect (as you define the elect) were NOT "in him" at the foundation of the world.

And you do not see your predicament yet?

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, the elect were not "in him" at the foundation of the world. And no, there is no predicament.

20. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

And so PL, how does the phrase "in him" affect the meaning of Ephesians 1:4. Why is the term there and what purpose does it serve in the context of this particular verse?