1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ephesians 4:26?? help

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by jubilant, Jul 10, 2003.

1. jubilant

jubilant New Member

this is what Eph. 4:26 says ....... Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath
    this is what I think of it ....... I would like to hear what you think after reading and truly asking the Lord to reveal it to you.
    This has been one of the most misapplied scriptures in the Bible. This verse is commonly quoted to say that the Lord knows we are just human and will get angry from time to time. He just asks us to settle all our disputes before the sun goes down each day. In other words, we can be angry if we don't let it last longer than one day. That is not even close to what Paul is saying.

Paul is commanding us to have a righteous anger which is not sin Jesus got angry without sinning and we should too
    We are commanded to hate evil (Ps. 97:10; Prov. 8:13; Amos 5:15; Rom. 12:9). Paul is speaking of a good type of anger-anger which is not directed at people but at evil. And we need to keep this righteous type of anger stirred up. Don't ever let it take a rest or go to sleep ("let not the sun go down upon your wrath"). We have to work at not being passive.

The next verse (v. 27) goes on to talk about not giving place to the devil. Being passive instead of angry at the devil gives place to the devil. We are supposed to resist (dict.-actively fight against) him, and this righteous anger is an important part of a violent attitude
    so what do you think? [​IMG]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Psalms 4:4
    Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah

I also think we are to have righteous indignation and hate the sin, be angry at the author of sin! In fact, because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, how could we NOT be angry?

I think too many 'chrisitian's' think those who abhor evil are judging those who embrace their sins. In actuality, it's the sin and the author of sin we turn from!

However, we are not to act in haste or speak in haste when we are angry! We are not to 'feed' the anger so that we give Satan a foothold in our hearts and minds. Our anger, many times is brought on because we value ourselves too highly or hold ourselves in too high an esteem. Again, a lie from the enemy.

Good thoughts, Jubilant!
    Diane

3. jubilant

jubilant New Member

[​IMG] Diane, amen and amen !!! awesome response, thank you .......
    In the New Testament, we have been given authority and power over the devil and we cannot ignore this issue. God gave authority to us as a blessing so that we could deal with the spiritual forces behind the things that confront us. But, it places a responsibility on us, too. Satan will not flee unless we exercise our authority (Jam. 4:7).

This is what Jesus is talking about. We have to be violent in our resolve against the devil. We need to rise up in anger at the devil and take back what he is stealing from us.

Godly anger is something that Christians have lost. In the Old Testament, passivity was all right. That was all they could do. They didn't have authority to bind and cast out demons. But, a lot of New Testament Christians are still passive. It's our passiveness that's keeping the power Jesus gave to us from working.

Satan has no authority over you. If you learn that, you won't allow him to come steal, kill, and destroy. You'll get angry at what Satan is trying to do to you and yours. That type of anger is good! In Romans 12:9, God says, "Abhor that which is evil, cleave to that which is good." That anger is not to be directed toward people, but toward evil. We should get violent and take the kingdom by force. Some of us are so passive, we can't even get mad at the devil.

In Revelation, when false prophets, Satan, and the beasts are thrown into the lake of fire, the Bible portrays the saints as rejoicing and glorifying God for their destruction. These are saints who are with the Lord and know all things; this is not a carnal reaction. We're supposed to rejoice at the destruction of Satan's system. That's a godly response.

Ephesians 4:26-27 tells us, "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: neither give place to the devil." This tells us that there is an anger that is not sinful. There is a righteous anger toward the devil that the Bible not only permits, but commands. You are giving place to the devil if you don't have a hatred for him. When you see Satan come into your home, you should get violent and take the authority God has given you and use it. It's not God's job to rebuke the devil (Jam. 4:7).

Some people believe that when Paul said, "Let not the sun go down upon your wrath," he was conceding that we all lose our temper, but you just need make peace each day before you go to bed. That's not what he is saying! God doesn't approve of anger as long as it doesn't last longer than 24 hours! Paul is encouraging this godly anger and saying, "Don't ever let this anger go to bed. Keep it wide awake and stirred up." We need to be constantly agitated towards the devil and his deeds. We need to have "a chip on our shoulder" where it doesn't take much to "tick us off" when it comes to Satan.

I used to think that if I could see into the spirit world, there would be huge demons and the name of Jesus would just barely keep them off my back. But that's not so. The Lord said to me, "If you could see them, they're just little imps." Isaiah 14 says that when we see the devil, we'll say, "Is this the one?" You'll look at the devil and say, "I let that runt ruin my life, and look at the power and authority I had." We are the ones who are big compared to the devil and his power. We are the ones that should have "an attitude."

It says in Proverbs 28:1, that the righteous are bold as a lion. Once you understand your righteous position in the Lord, you'll become bold as a lion. If you are acting like a whimp, it's because you don't know who you are in Christ Jesus. We need to get a revelation of what God has given us. We need to get violently resolved and take it to the devil and say, "you've done things long enough." Get to a place where you don't tolerate even a little intrusion in your life. God has given us armor (Eph. 6:11-17),we must put it on and use it , to God be all the Glory ........ Hallelujah !!! thank you Lord for your revelation in this area! ....... thanks again Diane [​IMG]

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

There are times when a believer may be righteously angry, for instance, when the character of God is impugned. In such cases anger is commanded: Be angry. Anger against evil can be righteous. But there are other times when anger is sinful. When it is an emotion of malice, jealousy, resentment, vindictiveness, or hatred because of personal wrongs, it is forbidden. If a believer gives way to unrighteous wrath, he should confess and forsake it quickly. Confession should be made both to God and to the victim of his anger. There should be no nursing of grudges, no harboring of resentments, no carrying over of irritations. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Anything that mars fellowship with God or with our brethren should immediately be made right.
    Eph.4:27 tell us that unconfessed sins of temper provide the devil with a foothold or a base of operations. He is capable of finding plenty of these without our deliberately helping him. Therefore, we must not excuse malice, wrath, envy, hatred, or passion in our lives. These sins discredit the Christian testimony, stumble the unsaved, offend believers, and harm ourselves spiritually and physically.

5. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Jamal5000,
    I don't see a problem, but I might not have made my self clear. Maybe I'll do a better job this time of getting my point across.

"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."

Put aside and rid yourselves completely of all these. Anger. Uncontrolled temper, a deep-seated emotion of ill will, a settled feeling of habitual hate, revengeful resentment. Wrath. Boiling agitation, fiery outburst of temper, violent fit of rage, passionate outbreak of exasperation. Malice. Vicious disposition, depraved spite, willful desire to injure, cruel malignity, which rejoices in evil to others. Blasphemy. Slanderous talk, reviling, evil speaking, railing insults, reckless and bitter abuse. Filthy communication out of your mouth. Obscene speech, shameful speaking, foul-mouthed abuse, dirty epithets, unclean stories (Eph 4:29; 5:4).

Be angry. Anger against evil can be righteous. But there are other times when anger is sinful. When it is an emotion of malice, jealousy, resentment, vindictiveness, or hatred because of personal wrongs, it is forbidden.

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I see your point and at first I thought. "That's a real good point, I hadn't thought about it that way before." But, upon further reflection, I am not so sure. Anger (good or bad) felt over a long period of time has very harmful effects on people. We like to refer to "righteous indignation" as not being a bad thing and I agree, but, just as Jesus would not be discribed as an angry man, we should not allow our anger to be so pervasive that it becomes a discription of who we are. Jesus was angry, but he stopped being angry without losing his zeal or his righteouness. Let the emotion die down, not the conviction, just the emotion.