1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ergun Caner controversy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I wouldn't respond to those guys myself.

2. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Then he shouldn't be surprised when people doubt him. I've never liked the guy, this is just confirming my gut feelings about him.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And that doesn't surprise me

4. FR7 Baptist

Why doesn't that surprise you?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well you don't know anything about the guy. You knew nothing then and you know nothing now. Yet you have come to conclusions. Kind of like you did with Obama. You are depending on unfounded surface issues and how you feel.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

#26 Grasshopper, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. FR7 Baptist

When I was in Chicago that time, I bought one of his books and read it. Also, he comes across as a very rude, bitter person who just wants to get people riled up. I wish more ministers could be polite gentlemen like the Rev. Jerry Vines. Of course, Dr. Vines isn't perfect (no one is), but he is a very nice person and a good preacher. The Rev. Ergun Caner just seems to thrive on attention by offending everyone, and I don't learn anything from his sermons.

9. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Circle those wagons.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liar, liar pants on fire! Or maybe not but his silence, changing biography and unwillingness to correct these blatant "errors" is making him look like just another charlatan. If not true why does he allow this black eye on his reputation and university remain. It seems like such an easy thing to clear up if indeed it can be cleared up. Note cleared up not covered up

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

For those defending Mr Caner, would you care to link to a public response from him?

I have looked into this and read quite a bit, including scanned copies of documents that prove that Caner is a liar and has lived in the US since he was 4.
    He lies, he exaggerates to win over audiences.
    And for those claiming that this is a personal attack from James White, it is obvious that you do not listen to his program or read his blog.

First, that debate never happened. Caner was dishonest then - I read the entire exchange and Caner was simply nasty- and they never were able to have the debate.
    Second, White did not bring up Caner again until he saw that Caner was claiming to do formal debates with some of the same people that White has debated such as Shabir Ally.
    Naturally Dr White would like to hear the debates other Christians do against his openents.
    One problem though, those debates never happened.
    ANd that is how White got into this controversy.
    I know, I listen to his show and read his blog regularly.

Now is he biased? Prejudiced? Maybe. I can't read his heart.
    I can say this though, Caner has been proven to be a liar.
    If he has legitimate explanations for these lies he has had ample time to explain. he has not done so.

So liberals want to discredit him? Perhaps. They probably do.
    However, conservatives like James White have called him to repentance of his sin of dishonesty which is not becoming of anyone, but especially not one in his position.

No, White is driven by the truth. He is obsessed with truth. people who don't care as much about truth would not understand.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO Whit is driven by Caner's position on reformed theology and nothing more much like this thread.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too get that impression of Mr. White:thumbs:

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Please keep this to the topic at hand. I am curious though how well you know Mr White?
    Have you ever met him?
    I have and I think you are wrong, but what difference does that make?

Is that the best that those defending the lies from Caner can come up with?

This has no more to do with White than the fact that he was been one of multiple sources that has brought this controversy to the public eye.

The fact is, someone lying about his past and about his credentials has no business holding his position.
    If these accusations are true then Caner has no business being in his position. In which case he should either repent and resign or if he refuses, he should be removed from his position.

Honesty matters, does it not?

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe its better than the ole "you're a liberal for accusing him" line...I dunno, just sayin :laugh:

Well here is where we disagree. I don't know how dishonest he has been about his academic credentials. Honestly when I consider the positions I think there has been some legitimate misunderstanding. I know several prof friends of mine who have ThDs that they keep as ThDs but their publishers keep changing them to PhDs in their bio in the backs of books and such.

As for the DMin, he doesn't need to claim it and its a weird area. If I got an honorary degree I'd never include it on my bio (or my wall for that matter.)

I think a public repentance is enough for the academic side of things. I can't say about his private life though. There isn't enough info out there to make a firm determination.

I guess we'll have to see how it plays. I can tell you that the wagons have been circled up in the 'Burg and anyone who looks like they disagree is being threatened with capital punishment...a sad thing to lose intellectual freedom.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I personally know both Dr. White and both Caners. I have nothing but admiration for James White. He is a humble scholar.

17. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with all of the above.

I have met James White and heard him preach. I read his blog as well and have several of his books which are wonderful, including his work on Justification.

Dr.White is into truth-telling Caner is not.

This whole situation with Ergun Caner reminds me of a slow-motion tidal wave mounting up higher and higher -- and finally crashing down causing all sorts of damage. Caner brings discredit to the name of Christ. The documentation of Caner's ways are mounting minute by minute -- his refusal to confess his lies (and that of Liberty in burying this) is making matters even worse. Caner needs to resign promptly.

19. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God will humble the proud.

#40 gb93433, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.