1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ergun Caner leaves Liberty for Arlington Baptist College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Siberian, May 19, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What then, do we do with someone like Caner who gets up at large convention-wide gatherings and "exaggerates" (to say it nicely) and then speaks in Arabic to support his claims. Then, when people I know who speak Arabic listen to him and say he isn't speaking Arabic but just babbling. What do we do then?

During the controversy I wasn't so much concerned with the disappearing, re-appearing degrees because sometimes publishers just plain get them wrong. I mean most people don't know the difference between a PhD and a ThD. What got me was the apparent continued, acknowledgeable dishonesty.

I'm all for allowing Dr. Caner to rehab his image and continue in ministry but he needs accountability in his life.

Of my connections at Liberty I know this hasn't happened. What is sadder to me is that the seminary was growing under his leadership and is now going through a period of stunted growth. Faculty are leaving and programs are not expanding. The leadership simply isn't there and the courses are becoming more shallow because of a lack of thorough leadership.

So what do we do? Again I'm all for allowing people to find a place in ministry, but how soon and how much of a place?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Rhet,
    As usual, your wisdom shines through.

I was not going to say much else, if anything. This is complicated by my personal knowledge of the Caners and of the evidence. I have a unique perspective. Trust me: I've bitten my tongue off. I've spoken in vague generalities for the most part. I think that is the route I will continue to take.

I think I've said more than I ever intended, but nowhere near what I could say....and more than likely won't in terms of specifics. However, Rippon addressed a question or two that I almost felt/feel compelled to have to answer. I'm tempted to respond (again, generically) but I have an equally compelling reason not to. That's the part I struggle with.

It's not that I have any affection for the Caners or any allegiance to them as such. However, you make a good point that we should not glory in the fall of a brother. Yet others are equally right: when someone does damage to the body and appears (key word) to show no repentance, what should the response be? Again, this is not just information I know from reading blogs. These are two real people we're talking about, not just two guys who appear in bylines or on platforms.

Hope you see what I'm saying. Good to hear your voice on here, Rhet!

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PJ Response

PJ,

I am not sure we have "to do" anything. Consider:

I was taught that if I sinned, I would need to make repentance/reconciliation in the arena where I sinned--and not beyound that. If this is true then what Liberty has done (or not done) should on some level appease us, should it not? For they are/were his authority. And they seem to be satisfied!!

Along those lines there are those to whom one must give an account. If the ones who hold that accountablility do nothing, then it seems to me morally and ethically they may have "part and parcel" in the original misdeed or transgression or sin.

If what you say of Liberty is true, and they did not "hold his feet to the fire" metaphorically speaking; then they have some issues of their own.

I think generally, when someone has done something say like Jimmy Swaggert has done (and do not say I am comparing the two, lives or sins, I am not!!!!), but left to their own divices things usually work out on their own. People take note, credibility is gone, ministry is ruined, and the "cause and effect" of the sin comes into play. And to quote dear old Dr. R.G. Lee, there is a "Pay Day Someday!!" Now that is not to say that the testimony of the Gospel is not damaged!!!

Or for a closer, at hand example, the world did not end on May 21. Think how this has ruined credibility.

For us to take the time to lampoon a brother further, I am sure is just like "piling on after the whistle has blown!" in some respects.

God can and does redeem and reconcile those in gross, repeatable, repetitive sin. But there has to be repentance and accountablity if there is ever to be a sense of reconciliation and restoration.

Accountability itself may be the "sin at the door." There seems to be no accountability for the "big names" in the Christian church culture who draw the bigget "oohs and ahs," especially from our too impressionable Christian youth which is very dangerous indeed!

Who then is the really big name in the Church of Jesus Christ? Not necessarily the one who is on the speaking circuit, or who has the biggest name, or who has written the greatest number of books, or who is president of the SBC, or who is president of an SBC agency; but the one who is your local, faithful to the Gospel minister, who marries and buries and loves you with the Love of Christ, tells people the Gospel, prays for missions, gives to missions, and lives the Gospel out everyday before the Lord and you is the really "big name." But this one--this one--has accountability to the local congregation.

Those who refuse to repent should not expect that the authority over them would restore or reinstate them. And it fares not well for the accountability group either. Think about it. There is much more in play here than just this one issue with this one brother.

"That is all!" (at this time). :tear:

#23 Rhetorician, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Ergun was in a church body that actually disciplined its members Mr.Caner would be out of any kind of ministry.

I would like to know how he can be characterized as wounded. He has not even admitted to any wrong-doing. In other words he has not sinned --just those PJ-clad boggers in their mothers' basments as he approximately put it.

How about the hurtful and sinful things said about James White,Wade B, Debby K,Tom Rich and others who ran to "defend" Ergun by saying such nasty things? Peter L., Craig D.,Dr.Mary and others certainly were not encouraged to moderate their conduct by Ergun Caner -- he may even have encouraged them in their ways. He's friends with Craig D after all.

Poor,poor Ergun? Pity the man? His arrogance knows no bounds. He's on the prowl for more unwitting folks who he can con. He preys on the unsuspecting.

And beyond his lies and arrogance --he's no fundamentalist. Take a gander at his tweets over the past months for a sampling.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon Response

Rippon,

My dear brother, please see my above comments. Please?

"That is all!" :tear:

6. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Liberty Is Special

You know, I guess the thing that pains me most about this matter is that Liberty is really a special place. I'm not in the SBC or even in the other circles that have political dogs in this fight. I just finished reading Macel Falwell's biography of her late husband and it reminded me of just how special a place that Liberty is. Regardless of what one ever thought of Jerry Falwell or of Caner for that matter, Liberty alumni and supporters just plain deserve better than this.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists, for that matter, Christians, deserve better than this.

This thing reminds me of the Mike Warnke situation a number of years ago. He invented a whole background and testimony and became an "expert" on the occult for Christians and even mainstream media. When I encountered people who really were involved in the occult (self-style satanism) in the late 1980s, I tried to get some information and guidance from Warnke ministries and discovered they knew less about it than I did.

Warnke's teaching on the occult only undermined those who really were confronting evil with the gospel, just like Caner's teaching undermines those who are trying to take the gospel to Muslims.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure Liberty is glad he is gone. He is going to fit in just fine with the fundamentalists behind Arlington, they just eat up the authoritarian, take no prisoners approach to ministry that he is so very, very fond of. It doesn't need to be true as long as it sounds good!

Hope it doesn't go well for him or the school for hiring someone so clearly caught up with themselves they can't even admit they lied when presented with clear evidence. These kind of people don't need to be successful.

9. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I am not shocked he's gone from Liberty, I am highly shocked at where he landed.

I noticed Liberty isn't using his "When Worldviews Collide" book for their Worldviews class anymore either.

#29 RG2, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What text have they replace it with? I enjoyed that class so much. :tear:

11. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Just finished the course on LUO last term and enjoyed it. I noticed the change because I the iTunesU lectures changed. I actually liked the book, my church actually did the book for one of our wed night classes as well. That being said I don't know if I cared for Caner's video lectures. Anyway to the question, the course guide on their site hasn't changed but I noticed if you go to purchase the books for the course they are different. They are still using the Hindson/Caner "Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics" but instead of the Wordviews book they have a custom book called "Consider" by Lew Weider.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I loved learning how Caner described islam as ancient mormonisn.....He described it to a "t" and also made me think about so many other religions that I hadn't delved into before to see what was wrong with them....polytheistic, cultish, the many things I learned.

13. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

14. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I transferred to Liberty from another institution to finish online. Therefore, as a graduate of Liberty, I am glad to see Dr. Caner leave. I only had to endure one class that had him lecturing, and the word endure describes the process. I do not think the University had planned on him leaving, but I do think his contract was short for a reason. He did major damage to the school and has done so unapologetically. However, God can and does forgive the repentant, but I have not seen that on a public level, and likely never will. Given his actions or persona, a private repentance does not seem likely either. He simply does not believe he was wrong. He thinks all he did was have some mishaps in dates. There are several occasions where he is pretending to speak in his "home" language, and it is only discovered he is speaking gibberish. Mistakes happen, but that kind of garbage is just that. As a Liberty Alumni, I am glad to see him leave.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The campus of Arlington Baptist College was highlighted in the latest issue of Gambling Online Magazine:

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He probably borrowed material from Robert A. Morey without acknowledgement.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Color me "not surprised". This was a foregone conclusion when he lost his position as Dean/President of the Seminary. The University knows what he did but, instead of firing him, they gave him a face saving way out.

18. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Good riddance.

Too bad he's still in minstry.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From A Recent Nonsensical Ergun Caner Tweet

"We ain't purty,dress correctly or even care what Pink says. We are freechurchers and Ansbaptists. We don't preach in wigs.We have holsters."

I'd say he's out of his wig.

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Controversy Follows Baptist Theologian to North Texas

If there is such a thing as a controversial, lightning rod Baptist minister, then one is headed to North Texas.

Ergun Caner is the former head of Jerry Falwell's Liberty Baptist Seminary in Lynchburg, Virginia, and his claims of having terrorist ties have clouded his credibility — and perhaps his future.

Claims of being so hated that he once had to dodge oranges being hurled from the audience is not what you might expect to hear from the Dean of Theology at Liberty Baptist Seminary.

But it's part of the Ergun Caner mystique and legend... of having been raised a radical Muslim in Turkey and an enemy of America.

"I hated you," Caner can be heard saying in a 2006 address to a student audience now broadcast on YouTube. "That may be harsh, but as Dr. Hays told you, my training center was in Beirut."

Caner is also on record saying he was trained to be a terrorist at the time his family moved from Turkey to America in 1978.

Once in the United States, Caner said he converted to Christianity, then rose to national prominence after the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001.

That's when religion blogger Tom Rich of Jacksonville, Florida first heard Caner's message.

"He said that he was trained to do that was done on 11 September, which means in no uncertain terms ,'I was trained to be a terrorist, I was raised to be a terrorist,'" Rich said.

But last summer, Caner's story started to unravel when skeptics found evidence that despite his claims, the self-proclaimed young Jihadist actually moved to America from Sweden in 1969 — not from Turkey in 1978. Caner grew up looking and acting like most every other kid his age.

The discrepancies proved so damaging that Caner was demoted at Liberty Baptist and is now headed to North Texas to become vice president at Arlington Baptist College, home to 200 students and to perhaps a not-so-welcoming staff.

One faculty member told News 8: "I find it reprehensible that the leadership of the Arlington Baptist College would hire a man who is very clearly profiteering from the tragedy of September 11."

Back in Florida, Tom Rich says giving Caner credibility takes it away from the entire church.

"It really calls into question of the integrity of the organization that he represents," Rich said. "It makes it harder to spread the Gospel to people when they know that Southern Baptists are actually not holding this guy accountable."

Caner did not respond to our requests for an interview, but he is on the record saying he's only guilty of uttering "discrepancies" and making "pulpit mistakes."

Arlington Baptist President Dr. Dan Moody declined an on-camera interview, but told us by e-mail:

"Dr. Caner has our full confidence, and we are excited about the future of our school. We consider all the controversy to be in the past, and we are moving forward with full confidence."

And while Liberty Baptist Seminary officials found Caner made "factual statements that are self-contradictory," the chairman of the panel that investigated him says, "We never once found that he lied."

What seems to be at issue now is whether his detractors can now find it in themselves to forgive.