1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Error, Tradition and the sinful nature

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by BobRyan, Jul 2, 2004.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Knowing how particular Mioque is that no history should be brough out which appears now to be in any way unfavorable to the RCC - I thought it necessary to provide the document and the wording - so that we might not simply "guess" as to the intent of the author to show titles and priviledges for Peter - as extending to his successors.

Now of course this point was obvious to the RCC when she used this document in courts of law - and is also obvious to historians today - - but for some it is still difficult to accept.

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I appreciate your admitting that.

By contrast to science -- here is the "claim" that evolutionists make for evolutionism.
    Dawkings said --
    The whole point -- the whole beauty of the Darwinian explanation for life is that it's self-sufficient. You start with essentially nothing -- you start with something very, very simple -- the origin of the Earth.

Paul of Eugene said --
    Evolution speaks to what happened after life came along.

Evaluating the "difference" is left as an exercise for the reader.

In Christ,

Bob

3. mioque

mioque New Member

Bob your quote just proved what I have been saying.

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes - the article does argue FIRST from the titles for Peter AND THEN extends all those rights and priviledges to the successors by saying that JUST as the rights and titles were accorded Peter "so the Pontiffs who are the representatives of that same chief of the apostles, should obtain from us and our empire the power of a supremacy

The argument the document makes - could not
    "be" any clearer.

You have to "Want" to remain in the dark to avoid it.

And that gets us to our argument about Mark 7 and tradition - and the way that error springs up EVEN though the evidence is clearly stated as we see in this document.

Yet some will come along claiming - "I can't see the problem". or maybe "you made it all up"...Rather than simply dealing with the text.

In Christ,

Bob

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Bob at the time the Donation was written, each bishop was considered to be a vicarius filii Dei, the title that went with that description is that of Vicarius Christi (which has basically the same meaning as Vicarius Filii Dei but sadly for a certain branch of exegesis the roman numerals don't add up to 666).
    Vicarius Christi is a title still claimed by the pope, he took it away from all the other bishops and made it a personal privilege of the papacy some centuries after the Donation was written. That's why the text claims that the popes are replacements of Peter in particular, every bishop at the time was called a replacement of Christ, that wasn't newsworthy.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well - that is a big change for you from claiming that "I made it up for Catholics". And the claims that Christ is God -- is nothing new for the RC so Vicar of Christ and Vicar of God are not opposite ideas. It is no wonder that the title used in the DoC was never questioned in all of time by RC popes promoting its contents in courts of law AND by those inserting that title into Canon Law.

Basic - but it needed to be pointed out here.

But the point remains - the document uses the title and it is included into Canon Law centuries later. It is also argued for even after the document is found to be of Catholic origin/purpose/intent and not of pagan Roman authorship.

You are correct that the published title today is Vicarius Christi EVEN though Vicarius Filii Dei is STILL in canon law. Perhaps the fact of canon law explains the use of this title by RC publications like "Our Sunday Visitor" saying that it applies to the successors of Peter.
    Ya think?

Certainly the Donation of Constantine makes that "Peter had it SO we must also accord this to his successors" type of argument.

But trying to fabricate the idea that non Catholics "made them do it" or non-Catholics made this up and inserted it into Canon Law for Catholics to believe, or for "Our Sunday Visitor" to publish -- is a kind of RC-at-all-costs position that most people are uncomfortable with. It goes wayyyy too far off the deep end.

In Christ,

Bob

7. mioque

mioque New Member

" that is a big change for you" :confused:

"You are correct that the published title today is Vicarius Christi EVEN though Vicarius Filii Dei is STILL in canon law."
    ''
    As far as I know it isn't, in fact using Vicarius Filii Dei as a title never has been part of canon law.

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Thanks for not answering, Bob. ;) I said when did Jesus refer to these two things. Obviously, he didn't, but you did, to try to connect the Catholic Church to the group Jesus was condemning. Subtle tricks like that may get people to believe you! Sneaky, sneaky. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Although not wanting to disturb the snide remarks above with this post of actual historic fact - I will run the risk involved in introducing some actual facts as a follow-on to Neal's post.

#1. It was Innocent III that was “the First Pope to take to himself the title Vicar of Christ” (A Concise History of the Catholic Church pg 114) elected in the late 12th century (1198). This is 4-5 centuries “after” the Catholic author manufactured the Donation of Constantine.

#2. As one example of the Donation of Constantine being incorporated into Catholic canon, in Gratian's Decretals of the Canon Law of the Roman Catholic Church, published in Bologna about 1148, the following is found: "Beatus Petrus in terris vicarius filii Dei videtur esse constitutes Decretum Gratiani, prima pars., dist. 96.

Inserted it into Catholic canons? Not likely! Not if Mioque has anything to say about it.

Of course he did - after all (according to Mioque) he was inclined to believe whatever Bob told him.

Why "of course they did"!! And why not?? According to Mioque Bob TOLD them to believe it - and what good pope would not listen to whatever Bob says? (at least according to Mioque).

#5. And DID they argue FROM the authority, title and priviledges of Peter TO the authority of all his successors???

It was a document created entirely for the purpose of granting to successors - those rights, honors and titles held by Peter.

But WHEN the Catholics found out that they were just believing "whatever Bob told them to believe" -- what then?

Notice that when the Pagan Roman origin is fully refuted - and the RC origin purpose and function of the document fully known -- they DO NOT simply abandon the CONTENTs as "just more things that Bob told us that we no longer believe in".

Though - apparently in more recent times they have given up on it - altogether. But one can not blame "Our Sunday Visitor" if they concluded that these "Catholic Canons" DID have historic value. Though we now know (as Mioque has informed us) that they were only believing whatever Bob told them to believe!!

In Christ,

Bob

10. mioque

mioque New Member

"It was Innocent III that was “the First Pope to take to himself the title Vicar of Christ”"
    ''
    Before that all bishops had it.

"#2. As one example of the Donation of Constantine being incorporated into Catholic canon,"
    ''
    That's a direct quote from the Donation, not a claim that the pope's titles include Vicarius Filii Dei.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    see the reference I gave above
    This is 4-5 centuries “after” the Catholic author manufactured the Donation of Constantine.

But also from the RC encyclopedia quoted also above ... we have this regarding the donation

I am guessing you think that in both cases all the bishops were claiming these titles for themselves and the Popes were the last ones to come to the party in these cases.

Fascinating Mioque!

In Christ,

Bob

12. mioque

mioque New Member

All bishops used to claim the title of Vicarius Christi (including the pope who is after all the bishop of Rome).
    During the middle ages (centuries after the Donation was written) the pope restricted the title to himself.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1. It was Innocent III that was “the First Pope to take to himself the title Vicar of Christ”

(A Concise History of the Catholic Church pg 114) Innocent III --elected in the late 12th century (1198).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is an interesting twist in Mioque's post to claim in effect "ALL Popes prior to that ALSO claimed the title but they did not claim that it applied exclusively to Popes until Innocent III. They allowed that it applied to BOTH Pope and Bishops until Innocent III started RESTRICTING it to the Pope"..

Or did you mean to say that Innocent III "was the first Pope and everyone before that only held the title of Bishop"???

Mioque - your speculations about the RCC are more fascinating all the time. Thanks for sharing them and I hope you will elaborate.

In Christ,

Bob

14. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

[​IMG] Okey, dokey, Bob. I wasn't referring to anything that you posted in response to me. I asked you a very pointed question that you don't want to answer. That's okay ;) . I know the answer to my own question. Try to blur the line all you will, it is still clear to me. Carry on, carry on.

In Christ,
    Neal

15. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

At first your arguments sound air tight and right on the money. But let's step back for a second. You point out two or three sources throughout all of Catholic history as your proof for Vicarius Filii Dei being an official title of the Pope. Amazing. Those are the only times this official title is mentioned? Hmm.....

I will grant you that you did not come up with this title. You probably are aware of Uriah Smith or some other author who really perpetuated this argument that you are now presenting. But let's look. The Donation was a forgery. And your claims concerning Our Sunday Visitor? You are referring to a 1915 issue. Well, that turned out to be a journalistic error and was not true. That title is not found on the pope's tiara.

So for your evidence you have a forgery and a printing error. Hmm...not a very strong case, if you ask me. But I can't fault you too much. I once perpetuated falsehoods and half-truths that I was fed by others. But my interest now is in the Truth, not winning an argument. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

P.S. By the way, something interesting I read in Pope Fiction on page 97. If you take Ellen Gould White, the founder of the SDAs, in Latin and add up her name (L+L+V+L+D+V+V+I)....it is 666. Wow, talk about freaky!

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Neal - you need to follow the points so far.

#1. The FORGED Donation is NOT a forgery of some Catholic document - RATHER it is a CATHOLIC forgery of a PAGAN ROMAN document.

#2. This means that they ONLY thing that makes it RC instead of Pagan Roman - is the FACT that it IS a forgery. It was written BY Catholics FOR Catholics.

#3. As ALREADY pointed out - the RC encyclopedia shows HISTORIC proof that Catholics argued FOR the contents of the document EVEN after they all agreed it was a forgery.

#4. The RC documents listed SHOW that the VERY TITLE Vicarius Filii Dei was INCLUDED into the Catholic Canons themselves.

#5. IT is this incorporation into the Catholic Canons themselves that lead to the normal and logical inclusion of this fact by "Our Sunday Visitor".

Pretending that all these Catholic documents were "written by Uriah Smith" or "invented by me" or "written at my direction" is simply a testament to how far off the factual track some arguments go.

Better to stick with the truth of history.

In Christ,

Bob

17. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Please show me where I "pretended" this. I take this as an insinuation that I am claiming you or any of these others wrote these Catholic documents. Show me where and I will correct them (I know you won't find it, because I say quite the opposite). If I did not "pretend" this, then I expect a clarification on your part that I did not claim the thing you have attributed to me. I will go no further in the discussion until this false witness is cleared up.

In Christ,
    Neal

18. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

You forgot this, Bob:

If your argument is valid for the Catholic Church it is just as valid for the NAME of you sect's founder. [​IMG]

In Christ,
    Neal

19. mioque

mioque New Member

"#1. The FORGED Donation is NOT a forgery of some Catholic document - RATHER it is a CATHOLIC forgery of a PAGAN ROMAN document. "
    ''
    That doesn't make it an official Catholic document, it makes it a forgery that benefits the bishop of Rome.

"#2. This means that they ONLY thing that makes it RC instead of Pagan Roman - is the FACT that it IS a forgery. It was written BY Catholics FOR Catholics."
    ''
    Actually it was forged to benefit 2 leaders of men, the bishop of Rome and a king who wanted to be called emperor.

"#3. As ALREADY pointed out - the RC encyclopedia shows HISTORIC proof that Catholics argued FOR the contents of the document EVEN after they all agreed it was a forgery."
    ''
    Yes.

"#4. The RC documents listed SHOW that the VERY TITLE Vicarius Filii Dei was INCLUDED into the Catholic Canons themselves."
    ''
    No, it doesn't. The relevant part of the Donation that includes the description Vicarius Filii Dei was quoted in a number of Catholic churchlaw books.

"#5. IT is this incorporation into the Catholic Canons themselves that lead to the normal and logical inclusion of this fact by "Our Sunday Visitor"."
    ''
    Too much exposure to SDA propaganda by some unsuspecting overworked editor is what most likely caused the 2 mentions of Vicarius Filii Dei in Our Sunday Visitor in 1915.

"Pretending that all these Catholic documents were "written by Uriah Smith" or "invented by me" or "written at my direction" is simply a testament to how far off the factual track some arguments go."
    ''
    Uriah didn't write the Donation, he just placed a quotation from it on the pope's hat and did some very umm..creative Bible exegesis to explain that quote.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "#1. The FORGED Donation is NOT a forgery of some Catholic document - RATHER it is a CATHOLIC forgery of a PAGAN ROMAN document. "

AND it IS included in a number of Catholic Canons. Trying to misdirect this as "not really catholic" or "not really official" utterly fails the test of history. Catholic Canons ARE Catholic and ARE official.

And yet some will seek to misdirect and revise that history with ...

"#2. This means that they ONLY thing that makes it RC instead of Pagan Roman - is the FACT that it IS a forgery. It was written BY Catholics FOR Catholics."
    ''

Here again the point is made that the RC purpose, RC origin and RC continuaion (in Catholic Canon) is undeniable.

Yet some will seek a kind of revisionist history and misdirection with...
    We note - that the Catholic Canons NEVER seek to make a king emperor in their quotes of that document.

"#3. As ALREADY pointed out - the RC encyclopedia shows HISTORIC proof that Catholics argued FOR the contents of the document EVEN after they all agreed it was a forgery."
    ''

This "shows" the "official" CAtholic ENDORSEMENT of the Content (not merely its historic AND intended use) -- even at a time when ALL who read it would know it was a forgery.

So "again" -- this it "Bob making things up for Catholics to believe"???

Hard to believe one could stand in the RC corner that long inspite of historic fact.

"#4. The RC documents listed SHOW that the VERY TITLE Vicarius Filii Dei was INCLUDED into the Catholic Canons themselves."

And yet some will respond to this fact with a mere ...
    EVEN while they admit
    Ok Catholic Canon - that you don't want to call Catholic, or official, or Canon...

"#5. IT is this incorporation into the Catholic Canons themselves that lead to the normal and logical inclusion of this fact by "Our Sunday Visitor"."

Here we have CENTURES of RC use of this CONTENT in courts of law AND centuries of time where it was being included in Catholic Canon ALL in FULL agreement with the article in our Sunday Visitor IN FULL agreement. (And I propose that this massive historic fact is claimed as the "Source" for the Sunday Visitor's information -)

But if you are used to revisionist histories - it is probably easy to turn a blind eye to this historic fact. Here we notice Mioque claiming the Catholics are likely reading much more SDA literature than seeing this CENTURIES long tradition of th title and the document USED in official RC Canons.

Mioque Claims RCs are looking reading SDA literature INSTEAD of Catholic Canons ...
    Ahhh. Another insightful historic perspective. Thanks again for that contribution Mioque.

"Pretending that all these Catholic documents were "written by Uriah Smith" or "invented by me" or "written at my direction" is simply a testament to how far off the factual track some arguments go."

Well then Mioque "must be right" when she says that I have made up the Donation, its inclusion in Catholic Canon, its title for the popes, its argument FROM Peter TO his successors...

She is right if history really is as easy to revise as she apparently is willing to do in this case.

And that brings us back to the point of the thread. The ease with which error finds its way into church teaching - a kind of willing revisionism "no matter what the facts".

In Christ,

Bob