1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Errors in Science!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OldRegular, May 25, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Since science has been presented on this forum as the infallible truth I thought it might be worthwhile to point out some of the errors that have been propounded as truth in the history of science.

I will only start off with one and hopefully stimulate the memories of some of you to post others.

The one that comes first to my memory is that at one time science stated that all matter consisted of "earth, air, fire, and water".

So come on folks just by reciting a little of the history of science we can demonstrate that science is not truth but true science is only the search for truth.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just heard that they have changed their minds on black holes, now they believe every solar system has one, though they don't know what they are for.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe they are braking/acceleration devices that explain the expansion of the universe in non-uniformitarian terms.

4. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Since science has been presented on this forum as the infallible truth I thought it might be worthwhile to point out some of the errors that have been propounded as truth in the history of science.

:rolleyes:

I don't think any of us has asserted that science is the ultimate authority. Science is nothing more than theories based on observations. And as such (as you have suggested) "science" has been wrong before, and undoubtedly is wrong about some things currently.

I would object to your initial remark however. You speak of science as if it is an entity unto itself - something that SHOULD BE VIEWED AS OPPOSED TO RELIGION.

Science is the making of observations based on things we see. In a sense it is just using the abilities God gave us.

On this point I will agree with Craig. I think that we should not be afraid to speculate based on observations - even if they seem to contradict what traditional religion has taught us. God gave us brains and abilities. Science is a human "ology" - but then so is "theOLOGY".

Genesis 1-11 has been traditionally seen as literal. Human observation is the realm of natural science suggest that the earth is alot older than Genesis would imply.

Thus one of the 2 human "ologies" is wrong here. You seem to want to say that to find a literal Genesis as wrong implies that we are reproving God and His word. I argue that we are reproving the human "ology" (in this case theology) which has errantly suggested that Genesis 1-11 was intended to be literal.

Now granted the other human "ology" (in this case science) could also be wrong. In this point you are correct.

But you seem to be equating the human ology (theology) with God's viewpoint - which I find a bit presumptious.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I love the sciences but science is definitely not infallible and I have not seen anyone here assert that it is.

One of the the neat things about the scientific is a mechanism built in for criticism and self correction.

The "four elements" were the only things observed at that time by humans. Later we were able to observe in more detail to discover that those four were actually molecules made up of smaller atoms that we now call elements. Later we were able to observe in more detail to discover that atoms are made up of smaller things called protons, neutrons and electrons. Later we were able to observe in more detail to discover that protons and neutrons are made up of smaller things called quarks.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Science" as it is now popularly viewed in academia concerning origins has more in common with religion than with the hard sciences.

It is based largely and sometimes wholly on "faith" in theories and naturalistic presuppositions. As contended by ID advocates (as separate from the main body of creationists), it rejects the notion that scientists should follow the facts anywhere they lead.

On my way to and from work, I pass a large field. There is a red and white pick up in that field. I didn't see the creator. I didn't see the process by which it was manufactured, used, and finally parked in that field. However, the evidence for design is so overwhelming that I would consider any proposal that the truck arrived there as the direct result of a tornado that ran through a Oklahoma junk yard and dropped that truck in that field as ridiculous... pure idiocy. And, if someone said it must have occurred this way even though we accept that intelligent actors were very well capable of making and placing that truck... I have to wonder what sacred cow they are trying to preserve.

But "science" asks us to look at something with far more complexity and order than a decaying pick up out in a pasture and just accept that it was created by some random process.

Sorry. But when I see order and information, I don't start looking for a way to account for its existence absent an intelligent creator.

7. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Science does not ask us to do any such thing. In fact much of science was the pursuit of finding the order that God created the universe in, an order that I believe includes evolution which is not random at all.

While science cannot be honestly done without an assumption of naturalism, that doesn't mean that naturalism is the all-encompassing philosophy that some scientists try to espouse.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not evident as it pertains to the assumption of naturalism as a governing philosophy for explaining origins.

All about us in virtually every human experience we can see orderly, created things resulting from intelligence plus ability. Yet when it comes to creation these two things are denied by "science"... and science rather than being "self correcting" is even now in the process of circling the wagons against legitimate scientists who advocate ID.

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just an fyi that even atheistic evolution sources describe evolution as a scientific process that does not comment on the existence of God, preclude his existence or that He designed evolution.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Science does not ask us to do any such thing.</font>[/QUOTE] True science doesn't not. But naturalism disguised as science very much does as it now manifests itself.
    "Random" is not my word. It is a word used in countless quotes I have seen from evolutionists themselves.

I know that evolutionists are now struggling with the fact that so much order and information exists in creation and that this has made "random" and "chance" very inconvenient things. I also know that there are efforts to reword the arguments so this problem just goes away... but anyway you word it, a random mutation that meets a random favorable environment for preservation is a random process.

Wrong. Science can be done honestly with an assumption of a creator, a cause outside of nature.

Criminal forensics is that type of science. It operates on the assumption that evidence does not arrive somewhere by natural forces.
    It is the all encompassing philosophy that serves as the foundation for evolution.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said they did.

They simply propose a theory that denies that the God of the Bible did/does anything with regard to creation.

12. Charles Meadows

Scott,

Sorry. But when I see order and information, I don't start looking for a way to account for its existence absent an intelligent creator.

I'll ask that you stop subtlely imputing bad afith to those of us with whom you disagree.

Your implication that old earthism is rooted in a desire to find a way to explain things without God is ridiculous - and slightly offensive.

In the case of the truck in the field. If you did some research you would find similar trucks on the roads. Further research might lead you to discover than your truck was produced by Chevrolet in 1976, thus dispelling rumors that it popped up by chance.

Regarding creation - the research we have done thus far suggests that things are OLD. That does not imply that they were not created intelligently.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles, I don't find an absolute necessity to reject an "old universe" from a literal reading of Genesis 1.

It is an act of "reading between the lines" but you could say that day one begins with God's refining work on earth and/or our solar system rather than the actual starting moment of the universe itself. I see no biblical reason to accept this but wouldn't spend too much time arguing with those who believe it.

My contention is primarily with those who would suppose evolution and its time frames to explain life on earth.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did some research and found someone who claimed credit for creation... and who said He created it in six days.

This for me dispels human theories that creation "popped up" by purely naturalistic processes.

15. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely!!

Now, what part of creation have you or anybody else seen? Are there any writings from anyone who was there? (Other than God, of course!)
    And how are these conditions replicated to prove the OE/evolution theories?

This just verifies my assertion that people are believing man over God on this subject!

If satan can get people to deny the beginnings, it's not too much to expect them to deny other parts of scripture to the point that God's Word is no longer relevant to "MODERN MAN"

16. Charles Meadows

Now, what part of creation have you or anybody else seen? Are there any writings from anyone who was there? (Other than God, of course!)
    And how are these conditions replicated to prove the OE/evolution theories?

No one saw creation at all. And I will readily concede that neither an old earth nor evolution have been PROVED.

But we do have fossil records, carbon 14 datings suggesting very old age, and geologic phenomena suggesting evolutionary change in the environment.

There is no problem questioning these things or even saying, "sorry you have not convinced me."

But we cannot simply pretend that these things do not exist. That leads to a view that sees science as the antithesis of religious truth. And that becomes an unnecessary stumbling block for young believers in a world of increasing scientific knowledge.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saw creation.

Chemical dating is performed based on a number of assumptions about natural history that may or may not be true.

The strongest evidence against this method of dating comes from the fact that when it gives a date different from the expectations allowed under the evolutionary model, those results are rejected.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is quite possibly the worst reason one could give for accepting or rejecting something as "true".

The Corinthians were guilty of trying to adapt the truth of God to the human wisdom around them. Paul dealt extensively with human wisdom as it relates to God's truth.

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrong. Science can be done honestly with an assumption of a creator, a cause outside of nature.

Criminal forensics is that type of science. It operates on the assumption that evidence does not arrive somewhere by natural forces.
    </font>[/QUOTE]While honest scientists don't need to subscribe to naturalism as a cosmological view, if they don't assume naturalism in their work, it effectively enters the realm of theological or philosophical.

Otherwise you would see scientific papers that say use of Drug X shows an 80% decrease in the incidence of Y cancer it appears to be effective in cancer treatment or a supernatural force is healing our test patients 80% more frequently than our control. Because we use naturalistic assumptions to determine that these drugs heal, does that mean God does not heal?

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

</font>[/QUOTE]While honest scientists don't need to subscribe to naturalism as a cosmological view, if they don't assume naturalism in their work, it effectively enters the realm of theological or philosophical. </font>[/QUOTE]
    If they assume naturalism, they have already entered the realm of philosophy.

The only thing that a scientist must do is seek the truth and the best explanation for a given subject. The minute they assume anything that might limit where the evidence takes them, they have ceased to operate as a scientist and begun to operate as a philosopher.

No. Not at all. This is observed science governed by recognized and experimentally demonstrated laws and theories... and btw, the situation is not governed by naturalism. The drugs don't occur naturally, they are engineered.

Everything about your example assumes physical and chemical laws... but also intelligence.
    No. It means intelligence is a better explanation for the drug in question than a natural process.