1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Esau's Wives

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BibleBob, Jan 28, 2004.

1. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

It seems that the two records of Esau's wives in Genesis 26, 28, and 36 contradict. In Gen. 26, basemath is said to be the daughter of Elon the Hittite, while in Gen. 36 Elon's daughter and Esua's wife is said to be named Adah. Also there are two different names listed for Esau's other wife, the sister of Nebaioth, the son of Ishmael. I was curious if anyone would have a good explanation for this alleged discrepancy. I have heard that people in the OT do sometimes have more than one name. I suppose that might be a valid explanation. Well, God bless.
    In Him,
    Bob

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did a little search on this as it was confusing to me too after I read it.

I did a yahoo search on "Esau's wives".

Basically, there are three explanations that I found on a particular site.

[a] these are contradictory accounts, or
    there is a larger accounting of wives with only some mentioned in each list, or
    [c] there are different names for the same women.

I tend to go with the latter.

One site said that there were probably four women.

--Judith, the daughter of Beeri the Hittite
    --Adah (Basemath), the daughter of Elon the Hittite
    --Oholibamah, daughter of Anah and granddaughter of Zibeon the Hivite (Horite)
    --Mahalath (also known as Basemath), sister of Nebaioth and daughter of Ishmael

Anyways, that's what I found.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    <><