1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eschatology questions/positions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jensen, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jensen

Jensen New Member

Can ya'll help me out? What was(is) the eschatological position of the current and past "great" theologians? For example.... which view did Spurgeon, Wesley, Knox, Calvin, Matthew Henry, Albert Barnes, John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, F.F. Bruce, Leon Morris, D.A. Carson, A.W. Pink, Bunyan, Jonathan Edwards, Tyndale, and others...

Who is/was premill....postmill....amill...preterist...etc...

Any, and as much, information would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you.

2. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Spurgeon said: "That there will be some sort of millenial age, I am sure. Of what sort it will be, I am uncertain." (paraphrased from memory.)

AWPink changed his views - once pre-, once a-mil.
    (I can't recall which came first, but his "The Redeemer's Return," 1918, was Pre. Since he lived and wrote into the 1940's (or later?), I would guess the change was to A-mil. Someone may be able to correct me there.

Knox, Calvin, the "Reformers" in general, were Post-Millenial (1000 years of peace on earth before the second coming) as was B.H. Carroll, the great Baptist of a century ago. His brother J.M.
    Carroll, said that B. H. changed his views on his deathbed. J. M. was Pre-mil; when asked which view B. H. adopted, J. M. gave no reply, which probably means it was to A-mil; had it been to Pre, he certainly would have broadcast it.
    The "reformed" groups today tend toward some form of Post-millenialism, or a modified A-mil view.

Many "great" theologians were closer to "pan-" (It will all pan out!) or "pro-" - "I'm for it!"
    Their interests were in other areas.

Best - R. Charles Blair (closer to "A" than any of the other views, but not a classic "A" - I see
    a future for national Israel, for example.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Charles has done a good job here. I believe Pink ended up an A-Mill.

RC Sproul followed the lead of the Reformers and is post-mill. Here are some quotes from Sproul:

"Personally, I cringe at the idea of going against such a unified and strong testimony to the historic faith, even though I grant the possibility that they [the historic creeds] are wrong at points. All who are inclined to differ with the creeds should observe a warning light and show great caution. Of course this warning light pales in comparison to the authority of Scripture itself .... To be completely candid, I must confess that I am still unsettled on some crucial matters." (Last Days, pp. 157-158)

As a systematic theologian, you look at all the different subdivisions of theology - soteriology, eschatology, pneumatology, and all of that - I don't think any theologian is equally astute in every area. I know, for example, that I'm a whole lot more iffy in my own thinking about eschatology than I am about soteriology or Christology.

4. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Yep, Pink start premill and ended amill. F F Bruce was postmill wasn't he?

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Disagree: Calvin was somewhat amillennial but you can't really classify him since he did not write a commentary on Revelation. We can only surmise from his work on Daniel.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

BTW, post-millennialism was pretty much dead after the WW's but it has found a resurgence due to the work of M. Kik and R.J. Rushdoony. I don't think it will last though.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most interesting note on the subject is that most of the greats from days gone by didn't spend near as much time discussing this topic as we seem to today. (of course it wasn't until 1830's that the dispensationalism hit the scene, so I guess they had some catching up to do) Many never addressed it though sermons or writings. It was basically agreed that Jesus was going to return and that was good enough. There doesn't ever seem to be a line in the sand, so to speak, that many of these men adhered to or based fellowship upon. Perhaps we could learn something from what they didn't say as well!

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

A refreshingly cognizant post! Thank you!

9. kendemyer

kendemyer New Member

Dear Readers,

Here are some resources for your review:

"premillennialism (and futurism) in the ancient church" at: http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36902

"The apparent futurist eschatology of the Apostle John's disciples and its relevancy" at: http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36762

"It appears the earliest church fathers were premillienists and futurists plus..." at: http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35528

"Was Origen's very non-literal interpretation of Scripture/prophecy invalid?" at: http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38125

"Historic premillennialism/dispensational premillennialism. Deciding what to accept" at: http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38016 (I wish to add that this thread will have further postings as time goes on. Please make sure you read post #21 thru post #23).

"Human ignorance/obstinancy and why there are too many eschatologies" at: http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38333

Sincerely,

Ken

10. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Ken,

Thank you!

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

No, they were dealing with other pressing issues. However, the Bible has a great deal to say about it so it is important.