1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESPN says Big-Ten is the best.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting but.... no.

The 4 teams at the top of the Big 10 are more than matched by the 6 teams mentioned at the top of the SEC. The bottom side of both leagues stink... but Northwestern, Illinois, and Indiana probably stink worse than Vandy, Kentucky, and Miss State.

Beyond that, Michigan and OSU might play competitively with LSU, UF, UT, Auburn, and Georgia but Purdue and Iowa- no way. It eventually comes down to players and all 5 of these teams have been among the top recruiters over the past 4 years.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah, I know you SEC lovers would have a problem with this, but I think it is true. The Big Ten teams are always underrated. Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State all could handle the top teams of the SEC this year.

My prediction this year is that if Michigan gets past Iowa on the road, they go undefeated, win the Big Ten and go on the national champioship game at the Rose Bowl this year.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Michigan will beat OSU... and I don't think OSU will beat Texas.

Having lived in ACC, SEC, PAC 10, Big 10/ND, SEC again, and now Big 12 country... I can say that Big 10 teams are seldom "underrated". They have the advantage of a loyal concentration of media that helps stretching from Philly to Minneapolis. It has the greatest population of any of the conferences if I am not mistaken. The SEC doesn't have this advantage.

The PAC 10 is a joke and will remain that way until UW gets it going again.

The ACC could turn out to be better than both this year although I have argued against the idea.

I am learning to have respect for the Big 12 though OU has been an embarrassment to them the past two years. My dark horse in this league is Nebraska. I think they are laying in the bushes with some really outstanding JuCo players and a good coach/system.

Overall, I think the Big 10 is nationally competitive at the top with a significant gap to the second tier then a few teams that are just downright terrible every year. Vandy is really the only SEC team that is never any good.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

OSU plays Michigan in the Big House, they will loose big time.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of which conference turns out to be best, I don't see anyone stopping Southern Cal from winning the mythical national championship again this season.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Claiming that that conference that ran out of fingers and can't count any higher has 4 teams with "national championship potential" just ain't competent. One or 2 of those are probably going to flop. We may be seeing a return to 2-team dominance of the conference, as in '68 through '81. If this does occur, the conference overall will more likely be weaker than stronger. If 2 out of 11 teams are getting the best talent in that region (plus a little outside of it), that will mean the other teams are getting less of that talent; so a couple of strong teams mean weaker mid and lower ranking teams. I think that is the situation in the Big 12 right now.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The thing is that there is not a couple of strong teams but at least four strong teams.

I am not so sure USC will win again. I kind of hope they don't.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's passion. Not reason.

Michigan as you alluded to earlier is held back by the same position as UT... the head coach.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on who they play.

If 4HG is right and someone comes out of the Big 10 undefeated (say Iowa) then I think USC will benefit by not getting a team likely to beat them.

There are several teams that can beat them but have a poor chance of going undefeated: UT, OSU, LSU, Miami, Va Tech, Texas, UF, FSU, etc

Sorry 4HG but Michigan doesn't have the receivers.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Scott no recievers? You gota be kiding- Steve Breaston, Jason Avant just to name two. They should have an awsome running game with hart which will open up the pass for Henne who is a great qb. They have the potential to score at least 30 points a game.

I can't see USC being lucky enough to make it to the big dance one more time. Perhaps they will, but eventually they are going to have a bad bounce.

As for OSU and Michigan, they have more talent than OSU, and historically they should win in Ann Arbor, especially after loosing in Columbus last year.

12. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were an opposing coach, Hart would be the only one in that group that scared me. He does some good things.

I should have been more clear. I am not assuming that USC goes... just that if that cotton candy schedule does play out for them, there are several teams that would stand a very good chance of beating them but probably won't get the chance because of the difficulty of their schedules.

Iowa stands the best chance IMO of any school in the ACC, SEC, Big 10, or even the Big 12... and I don't think they can stay on the same field with USC.

BTW, I am not trying to offend you but Breaston couldn't get on the field at UT, UF, or LSU and Avant would be average. The only receiver on the Vol depth chart as small as Breaston is a true freshman... and before you think that makes them slow, one or two of those guys runs a sub 4.3 40. They need not expect to play if they aren't sub 4.5.

The top 5 UT receivers are bigger and as fast as Avant and have proven to have good hands.

Receiver is simply one of those areas where Mich or OSU or Wisconsin will have one or two stand out talents where an SEC or ACC school will have 5 or 6.

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I likewise am waiting for providence to send USC their share of bad bounces.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

So you disregard the amazing ability of Chad Henne as a QB? It seems that he is underrated by some. I think many will be surprised. The kid had amazing talent as a true freshman last year, and now that he has experience he should do well.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ohio State 24 Michigan 13

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah right.

More like:

Michigan 34,Ohio State 10

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I grew up in Big 10 country and still enjoy watching Big 10 football.....but I think ESPN is off on this one. I think there are 2 or 3 conferences better than the Big 10.

Oh...and you Michigan and OSU fans crack me up....neither of you all is going to be the class of the Big 10 this year. Look out for Iowa, Wisconsin and Purdue.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think that the Big Ten is alwasy underestimated by most espcially by SEC fans. They are some of the most cockey fans I know.

As to Iowa, Wis, or Purdue winning the Big Ten... Nahh it will be Michigan again.

Hey where is Tim- I need some back up- I think he is a U of M fan.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best team will be Michigan or OSU. The team with the best shot at the National title is Iowa.

4HG, I have lived in the territories of every "big" conf except the Big East if you still consider them a player.

You have to live it to know the difference between the SEC and the other conferences.

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have lived in the area of the SEC as well. The SEC is no differnt than the other conferances. They win and loose football games just like everyone else.