1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Essential Christian Doctrine/ The Fundamentals of the Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 18, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I look at websites I look for the fundamentals on their doctrine statement and find it with most solid churches as most churches have a website these days. Besides what Mac said at the Shepherds Conference one year about having a doctrine statement, I would argue for one and for the fundamentals even if I never heard Mac talk about it. So do you take the fundamentals seriously?

I think these statements are a great summary of the fundamentals of the faith.

http://cfmobile.org/doctrinal-statement/
    http://www.gotquestions.org/essentials-Christian-faith.html

So what separates Christianity apart from the cults and false religions? I had an apostate teacher tell me that Christians have various interpretations on doctrines and while I agreed with him, I assured him that on the essentials Christians agree, its just secondary doctrines that Christians disagree (Cal vs. Armin, Bible translations, eschatology, etc).

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The baptist one was too wordy to be essential.

The second was not bad. Like that it started with Jesus instead of the bible, my preference.

Apostles' Creed probably the best for "essential".

3. Jeremy Seth

Jeremy Seth Member

If spreading the message of the gospel is one of the primary functions of the church, I agree that doctrinal statements being publicly available are very productive practices.I appreciate finding them when researching a new ministry or church.

I think you are accurate in your wording:
    but admit that not all professing Christians are in line with these fundamentals. As we know, there are people who claim Christianity but sadly are not.
    Matthew 7 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • I have a problem with teaching that a type of interpretation is essential doctrine.
    • I have another problem with teaching a six "literal" day creation.

Both of these are things I look for when examining an organization.
    I agree with the first but would never include it in an Organizational Statement of Faith;
    it excludes rather than includes.

The first portion (the literal, grammatical-historical interpretation) is a method of interpretation and a preference, not an essential doctrine.
    The second (the form of creationism) is debatable and not essential.

The organization makes a conclusion based upon the method of interpretation that many using the same method disagree with.

Both of these are non-essential to the message of the gospel.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be a lack of teaching out there on the fundamentals of the faith in preaching, teaching, books, and tracts, so its no wonder there are so many cults, and many who profess to be Christians really are not. Did you know that just about every book that I looked at labeled as teaching the fundamentals are out of print? How many churches do you know of that actually teach the fundamentals in their Sunday school programs and sermons? Few..

So its no wonder we get churches that claim to be Christian, yet deny that the Bible is the source of divine truth. Its no wonder we get churches that deny the Trinity. Its no wonder that we get churches that deny that Jesus is the only way to salvation. As I said there is a overall lack of teaching on the fundamentals of the faith in christian circles.

Perhaps the best gospel tract in print teaching the fundamentals of the faith.

http://www.christianbook.com/all-ro...tt=118686&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

6. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The essentials of the Christian faith would, of necessity have to do with (1) glorifying Almighty God the Creator, and (2) the salvation of sinners from hell. Therefore the inspiration and infallibility of God's Word, the Bible, the incarnation & virgin birth of Jesus Christ, God's Son, His sinless life and His substitutionary blood atonement for sinners by His death upon the cross; His burial and physical, bodily resurrection from the dead; salvation by grace through faith in Jesus; and His visible, physical return to earth at the end of the world would all have to be considered the basic fundamentals of Christianity.

May His name be praised forever.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither of the two links provide "the essentials" of our faith. The first one contains several assertions that many (non-cal) believers reject. To claim the cal view is essential is essentially wrong.
    It is essential to believe the Bible is the word of God, and therefore trustworthy and reliable for faith and practice. It is essential to believe in our Triune God (God in three persons) which of course means we believe Jesus is God the Son. It is essential to believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, God's anointed, sent by God so that everyone believing into Him will not perish but have eternal life.

#7 Van, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.gotquestions.org/essentials-Christian-faith.html
    This article is better, except for the glaring error that they missed the canon of scripture as essential doctrine.