1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Esther 5:14

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by menageriekeeper, May 23, 2004.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Why did Hamman's wife tell him to build the gallows? Would there not have been a public gallows (maybe one the king used to execute his enemies)that would have done the job?

And why 75 feet tall? Is there some special significance to that measurement? Why wouldn't something shorter have sufficed?

Sorry if this seem trivial. It came up this morning during Sunday School.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think the king would have had a gallows to execute his enemies. They were probably just killed by his soldiers with a sword, though it would be good to check some books that give the historical background of that time and culture for this.

My guess as to why the gallows was so tall was so that the public hanging of Haman would be especially humiliating as people could see him from really far away. Of course, it was supposed to be for Mordecai but God knew all along it would be for Haman. It's an ironic twist that Haman's wife had it built high to humiliate Mordecai and it ended up being for Haman.

I just looked in my Bible and the footnote for that 5:14 verse says that Haman's wife probably wanted the gallows that high so that all in the city could see it.