1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV or NASB?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Priscilla Ann, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Clearly, I have some homework to do before I make a selection, but you have all helped me a lot.

Today, we are going out of town to celebrate Christmas #2. (Yesterday we did Christmas #1.)

God Bless!

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Priscilla Ann,

This site has some good info on it: http://betterbibles.com/

If you are interested in branching out from your original two choices, the post on 12/22 called my top Bible versions for different categories may be helpful.

Bitsy

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I use the NASB. It is a bit harder to read publically though but I have gotten used to it. The NIV was much easier to read publically. In my office I have a NASB Life Application Bible for my personal study Bible. The study notes are practical as opposed to the more technical notes you might find the Ryrie Study Bible. I am considering buying a ESV study Bible for office use too. It's always good to have another prespective.

4. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I like the NASB Ryrie Study Bible. My Wife has an ESV Reference Bible.
    I have pretty much every version except "The Message" LOL
    The Zondervan NASB Study Bible has the NIV study notes.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You're welcome!

I also like reading the updated NASB over the NKJV. I think the NKJV is a little more "old-fashioned" in its language.

I do not find the NAS awkward as some people claim. There are some places here and there that might be a bit awkward, but not enough to bother me.

6. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The ESV is based on the RSV, which is based on the ASV of 1901, so it's a revision of a revision. The NASB is also based on the ASV of 1901.

The ASV of 1901 is more literal than the ESV and the NASB, but it's not written in modern English. It uses words like "thee," "thou," and "bade."

The ESV is better for public reading, but the NASB is better for studying as it more closely aligns with the Hebrew and Greek.

The ASV of 1901 is available from Star Bible Publishers in Fort Worth, Texas.

I personally prefer the Modern Language Bible, which is not as literal as the ESV or the ASV but more so than the NIV:

Matthew 27:24

ASV of 1901

So when Pilate saw that he prevailed nothing, but rather that a tumult was arising, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this righteous man; see ye to it.

ESV

So when Pilate saw that he was gaining nothing, but rather a riot was beginning, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying,
    I am innocent of this man's blood; see to it yourselves."

NASB 1977 edition

And when Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the multitude, saying, "I am innocent of this Man's blood; see to that yourselves."

NASB 1995 update

When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing, but rather a riot was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of this Man's blood; see to that yourselves."

NIV

When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

Modern Language Bible

When Pilate saw that he was accomplishing nothing but that instead a riot was brewing, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of the blood of this man; you yourselves see to it."

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just wondering if you tried for Valentine's Day, considering you just posted on another 'Versions' thread? ;) :D

Ed

8. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I'm still trying to make up my mind. Sometimes it takes me awhile! (Maybe that's a woman thing...) :laugh:

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually when I am having a hard time deciding between two things, I end up buying both. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I find the NASB and the ESV to be very readable. I gravitate toward a more dynamic translation for general/devotional reading (NIV or NLT) and a more literal translation for serious study (KJV, NKJV, NASB, ESV).