1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV revision again in 2016

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Robea, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Robea

Robea New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to believe that the ESV has gone through yet another revision. What I find interesting is that the ESV is not a new translation but a revision of the RSV so how come they have to keep making revisions? I understand new translations go through revisions but this is not a new translation. What is even more interesting is they call each revision a permanent version, that is, until they revise it again then that becomes a revision. Am I the only one that finds these revisions frustrating?

I understand these revisions do not make earlier versions unusable but I like to have an up to date bible for my primary usage and am getting tired of buying news ones. Maybe I am just cheap. :)

New changes for the ESV in 2016 can be found here. http://www.esv.org/about/pt-changes/

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Robea

Robea New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok. thanks I must have missed it. How does one delete a thread. I will delete this then\

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to delete it as your thoughts match mine! :)

5. Robea

Robea New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just did not want to have a duplicate threat if this issue has been exhausted elsewhere.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are only fifty or so changes. Maybe just take a sharpie to what they'd gotten wrong and jot the new words in the margin.

7. Robea

Robea New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya, I suppose. I did notice that in Genesis the change from "for" to "contrary to" was putting into the text what they had footnoted. I haven't gone through all of the changes and they are minor but still. Maybe they are now working on the "essentially" part of literal. :)

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good one. LOL!