1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by webdog, Dec 9, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who has it? Is it worth it? I'm considering buying it, but wanted some feedback first.

I pick one translation to read through each year, and this year it was between the ESV Study Bible, TNIV and the CSB Apologetic Study Bible.

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I got it to my iPod Touch a few days ago. So far very useful study Bible, I have mostly read on the train to work. I will get the paper version this spring.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

DH got his as a Christmas present 2 weeks ago (it burned a hole in Mrs. Santa's bag since she knew he really wanted it) and he LOVES it. It's big though - so not his Bible for standard carrying and such. But it's his study Bible and it's been great for that. I used it this morning after my reading to see what it said and I really enjoyed using it.

I'd recommend it. :)

4. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally think that the actual ESV text is way over hyped on internet chat boards and certain radio shows, It is a good translation but no better than most of the other MVs out there.

I have the hard cover edition of the ESV SB, I bought it pre-release. It is one of many study Bibles sitting on my shelf.

The binding, paper and general workmanship of the Bible is great. This book is built to last. The notes and other in text charts, illustrations, graphs and so forth are many and very well done. Color maps!

Many notes and a surprising selection of theological (is that a word?) views presented. It almost has too many notes and features.

It almost pains me to say it but it is worth the price. As others have said, it is a thick volume and I doubt that I will take it to church but if you must have this Bible, you will not feel as if you didn't get your dollars worth. I actually wish I got the leather edition.

And thats my opinion.
    Tom

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Great review. ;)

Hey - I'd be happy to take the hardcover to free up your space for a leather bound. DH and I fight over some things we both want and I think I won't be able to access his ESV SB too much anymore. LOL

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Fit for the Calvinist.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does that mean? Non calvinists shouldn't bother with it? I'm not following...

8. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually webdog,

To add to my post #4 above, Since I also have the Reformation SB (in ESV) and I naturally equate the ESV with reformed theology, I guess I figured that the ESV SB would be totally Calvinistic. I feel that it favors reformed theology but it presents other theologies as well. This was a pleasant surprise for me as I'm pre-mil dispensationalist. As such I still consider my MacArthur SB to be my first pick, then the NIV SB, Ryrie, and then what ever I feel like taking down and reading.

A SB that flys under the radar for dispensationalist leanings is the Nelson New King James SB. FYI, CBD has the NLT SB in hardcover for about 21 clams, it is a good deal, it also leans towards reformed theology, in my opinion.

Tom

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have the Reformation Study Bible edited by Sproul. I like it, but our church uses the ESV. The notes are sound (at least the ones I've read).

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just ordered the ESV study Bible. Thanks for the input everyone!

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Of course, but you're going to encounter a Calvinist approach to texts, time and time again.

That's just the naked reality.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, TCG...I think I can handle it :laugh: I do have the MacArthur study Bible afterall ;)

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But in terms of layout and maps and so on, it's the best I've seen.

I'm just not a fan of the translation itself.

I know you can handle it. :thumbs:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks. I like to read through a translation each year, and realized I have not read much from the ESV except what I have on e-sword. I understand that it can be clumsy in places, and would like to find out just what that means.

I'm glad the layout and maps are good. I have the HCSB Illustrated Study Bible, and it makes my head want to spin. That wa one long year... :)

15. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

I've had my ESV Study Bible for several weeks now and have greatly enjoyed it. I've yet to encounter the "naked reality" of its Calvinism, but perhaps I'm not looking closely enough. (Shouldn't look closely at naked things.) In any case, it has more study helps than any Bible I'm aware of, and in a presentation that's easy on the eyes. I also like having access to the online version, although I'm not sure how often I'll use it.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The ESV could've been better. You might like it...

17. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

My Lutheran pastor wants me to wait and get the ESV Lutheran Study Bible instead, which will be available in October, 2009. He said the ESV Study Bible does have a definite Calvinist slant and does not reflect Lutheran theology.