1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV, What do you think?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chemnitz, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I just got the English Standard Version (ESV) translation about a month ago and I want to see what other people thought. I personally like the ESV. I have checked some of the passages with my own translation work and they match fairly closely. It is my sincere hope that this translation can oust the NIV. As far as formal equivelance versions go the ESV does read well, but every so often it can be a little rough in the wording.

[ March 19, 2002, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Godmetal ]

2. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I am locking this thread and moving it to the Versions/Translations forum, and will bring the ESV thread to the top.

3. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by godmetal:
    I just got the English Standard Version (ESV) translation about a month ago and I want to see what other people thought. I personally like the ESV. I have checked some of the passages with my own translation work and they match fairly closely. It is my sincere hope that this translation can oust the NIV. As far as formal equivelance versions go the ESV does read well, but every so often it can be a little rough in the wording.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too, like the ESV. It is an excellent reading Bible, and is suitable for public reading (something the NASB and NIV were not really suitable for, IMO). It is also accurate. Interestingly, it is about 85-90% equal to the RSV, upon which it was based. Passages in the RSV which were too free were tightened up, and passages that were too liberal were translated conservatively.

I think the ESV will overtake the NIV in popularity. It took the NIV about 11 years to overtake the KJV; I think the time will be shorter for the ESV to do so to the NIV.

Personally, I haven't found any rough readingd in it yet; I just read through 1 and 2 Samuel and 1 Kings and find that it reads in the OT quite well.

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I just bought my ESV tonight with the cd-rom. All i can say is I will be up LATE. I will get back to you all in a month or so once me and my ESV have been properly aquainted :D

UNP, Adam

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I like the ESV. Essentially literal and very readable. As a NASB person, there may be a place or two I'd like to see the tenses rendered a bit more literally, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with the ESV. Not a big fan of the CD-Rom though. Can't get used to the STEP format. I'm too used to Online Bible and Logos I guess.

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I have read 8 or 9 books so far, and I really like the ESV's readibility. And so far it seems very accurate. It does seem to flow smoother than the NIV. At this point I give it a big thumbs up!

As far as the cd-rom, it is a valuable resource, depending on what you are looking for. For the most part I like my book concordance better than the cd's. Just something about having it in your hand i guess..

UNP, Adam

7. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    Not a big fan of the CD-Rom though. Can't get used to the STEP format. I'm too used to Online Bible and Logos I guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that Tom. Maybe it will be incorported later into Logos.

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Out of curiosity, what's on the CD-ROM? Does it contain a complete electronic Bible, or is it just reference or "bonus" material?

9. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

The CD contains the entire ESV and KJV texts, as well as Naves topical index, and several other resources. good but not great.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Temple:
    The CD contains the entire ESV and KJV texts, as well as Naves topical index, and several other resources. good but not great.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, Maybe you can help me. Is the ESV available in Christian bookstores like LIfeway or other non-denominational stores? I am going to Tulsa tomorrow and would like to pick one up if I don't have to order it. If you don't know -- does anybody else know?
    Thanks,

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have another question and this may be off thread, but it was mentioned here. Why does everybody seem to want the ESV to surpass the NIV? What is it about the NIV that everybody seems to have a problem about? If it is simplicity of wording -- does not the NASB tend to be more accurate in that arena? Just curious? KJVOs don't bother to answer, I know what you will say--please.

12. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Phillip,

I would think the ESV would be available pretty much in any Christian bookstore by now. I picked one up in a bookstore in Springfield, IL, last week.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I would love to see the ESV dethrone the NIV is that it is a more literal translation. I was always rather disappointed with the NIV's stated intention to be most concerned with thought and meaning as opposed to literal translation.

13. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marathon Man:
    Phillip,

I would think the ESV would be available pretty much in any Christian bookstore by now. I picked one up in a bookstore in Springfield, IL, last week.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I would love to see the ESV dethrone the NIV is that it is a more literal translation. I was always rather disappointed with the NIV's stated intention to be most concerned with thought and meaning as opposed to literal translation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Along with that, it reads in a more literary fashion than does the NASB. Its what I would call the best of the NKJV and NASB combined.

And yes, it is available at LifeWay and Family Bookstores. I imagine the large secular bookstores have it now as well.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thanks folks; I picked up the very last ESV at Lifeway in Tulsa. The BGCO (Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma--The Southern Baptist convention for OK) was meeting in Tulsa at the time and that was probably the reason they were low in quantity.

The surprising thing was that I called on a Cellphone before I got to the store asking if they had an ESV and they said yes; once I got there it took twenty minutes to find where they were with the help of three clerks. Obviously, it has not caught on very quickly in this area yet.

But, I must say, I had a VERY late night last night reading. I agree with the thoughts on readability. ...very good. I read most of Genesis, part of John's gospel and little of Luke's and some in Revelation. The parts I read appeared to be very well written AND translated with as good of degree of accuracy that I am capable of determining with my limited Greek/Hebrew background. I was impressed.

Not only was the Bible itself a pleasant surprise, the study guides were also very helpful. I have yet to look at the CD, but the Bible was worth the money. I used to carry a KJV and NIV (or NASB Ryrie study) Bibles to church each week. Now, it will probably be my KJV and ESV. I am not stuck on the KJV, but a lot of our church members like to use it, so I always keep my copy handy.

Thanks again for the help and I highly advise anybody who has not looked at the ESV to do so in a serious light--as it appears it might be an excellent and readable version of the Holy Bible. I felt no real loss without my NIV tonight (Wednesday Bible Study). The ESV was also easy to follow along with the pastor's KJV, yet still maintains the readability the NASB never had. I truly think it may be the translation I have been searching for. I will let everybody know what I think in a month or so of intense reading. Please do the same if you have a copy.

15. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

"Along with that, it reads in a more literary fashion than does the NASB. Its what I would call the best of the NKJV and NASB combined.

And yes, it is available at LifeWay and Family Bookstores. I imagine the large secular bookstores have it now as well. "

Barnes and Nobles carries the hard back version. Christian Book Distributors also carries the ESV. I have bought so many copies for family and friends the guy at the campus bookstore accused me of trying to start my own bookstore :D . I really like this translation. I am doing my work in both Hebrew and Greek and checking the ESV against my own work. So far so good [​IMG] .

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by godmetal:
    [QB
    I really like this translation. I am doing my work in both Hebrew and Greek and checking the ESV against my own work. So far so good [​IMG] .[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I placed this on another thread, but would like to mention it here in case nobody saw it. I thought I had nailed the ESV on two BIG errors (one in Psalms, the other in one of the Epistles of Paul -- and can't remember which one). I run the sound at church and last week the pastor came in early while I was practicing a play for Christmas with the kids and we got to talking about the so called errors I though I found. He went to his office and dug out the Greek and Hebrew and sure enough the ESV was MUCH closer to the actual wording of today than even the other newer MV's. The KJV was way off base--considering the context the texts were written in.

My pastor typically refers to 10 or 15 chapters in different places in the Bible in a typical sermon (he loves to use his Bible to show a base for everything he mentions) anyway, I am (also with his knowledge) going to compare with the ESV and we are going to study any differences I mark along the way. He always refers to the Greek and Hebrew before using Bible scripture, so I feel comfortable about his commentary regarding the Bible verses. He doesn't try to make a lot of commentary anyway, he mostly uses it to fit into situations in our daily or modern lives--and, of course, for evangelism to bring people to Christ.

Just my thoughts on the ESV. So far, So Good! I like it!!!

17. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

English Standard Version Bible Hits CBA Bestseller List Weeks After Launch
    December 7, 2001

Third Printing Underway in First Two Months
    Wheaton, IL--Since publication on September 28 of this year, the The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (ESV) has made a strong showing on lists tracking Bible sales in Christian bookstores. Just weeks after publication, the ESV Bible placed number eight on the CBA list of bestselling Bible translations. In addition to this, the ESV was the number one Bible product in the 280 Parable Group bookstores.

According to Steve Potratz, president of the California-based Parable Group, "It is amazing that the ESV has achieved this level of sales in times like these." The reason, Potratz believes, is that the ESV effectively meets the needs of the Bible's target audience. "I believe the success of the ESV can be attributed to a number of factors, such as the cover saying, 'Holy Bible'--which speaks to seekers--and an excellent cover design, as well as the right price with the added value of a free CD-ROM version."

By releasing the ESV Bible on CD-ROM and in printed editions simultaneously, the ESV also achieves a publishing first. Enclosed free with each copy, the CD-ROM includes the fully searchable texts of the ESV and KJV Bibles, as well as a wide range of additional resources, Bible study tools, and commentaries. Also a publishing first, the ESV was launched in a full-featured, classic reference edition, complete with book introductions, the most extensive cross-reference system available, maps, and an extensive concordance.

Given the strong initial demand, the first printing of 55,000 copies sold out within a few weeks, and a second printing of 50,000 copies was placed immediately for delivery the end of November and early December. A third printing is also underway for delivery in early January, with additional printings to follow soon after. "We are grateful for the very positive response to the ESV," noted Dr. Lane Dennis, president and publisher of Crossway Bibles. "Certainly this reflects the critical need that so many feel today--to read and hear the eternal truth of God's Word--and for this we are thankful."

Future publishing plans for the ESV Bible include a wide range of editions for publication both in North America and overseas. In the UK and Europe, HarperCollins (UK) will publish the English Standard Version in an anglicized edition under an exclusive licensing agreement with Crossway. "With their outstanding reputation as a Bible publisher," Dr. Dennis noted, "we are delighted to be working with HarperCollins UK. We are grateful especially for their high level of commitment to the ESV and for their wide distribution capability." The HarperCollins edition of the ESV will also be a full-featured, classic reference Bible and is scheduled for release in May 2002.

In North America, Crossway is also planning to release a number of new ESV editions during 2002. These include a Pew and Worship Bible (April 2002), a Thinline Bible (May 2002), as well as a New Testament with Psalms and an ESV edition of the One Year Bible, both in summer of 2002.

The English Standard Version is an "essentially literal" translation that stands in the classic stream of Bible translations as exemplified by William Tyndale's first translation of the Bible in English, the King James Version, and most recently the Revised Standard Version. With this legacy as the starting place, every word and phrase of the ESV was weighed against the original languages for the greatest accuracy and clarity. As noted by Dr. Dennis, "the ESV emphasizes word-for-word accuracy and precision along with literary beauty, which we believe makes the ESV an ideal choice for personal reading and family devotions, for worship and preaching, as well as for in-depth study and memorization."

Published by Crossway Bibles (a division of Good News Publishers), the ESV involved a team of more than 100 scholars, pastors, and educators, including the fourteen-member Translation Oversight Committee, more than fifty Review Scholars, and more than sixty members of the Advisory Council. With Dr. J. I. Packer serving as the General Editor, the publishing team included members from numerous denominations and many countries. (A complete list of the ESV publishing team is available here.)

For more information about the English Standard Version (ESV) Bible, go to www.crosswaybibles.com.

18. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

In reading through the Bible I have now come to Romans. I find this book exceptionally clear and well translated in the ESV [​IMG]

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Rom 11:12 as quoted by Chris in another thread seems a very strange translation of pleroma. It is NIVish in the interpretive sense of the word. I would be interested to see how they translated it elsewhere especially Rom 11:25 in the same context.

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Temple:
    In reading through the Bible I have now come to Romans. I find this book exceptionally clear and well translated in the ESV [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, do you read fast or what? ...great.

I have some questions for you and others that I don't really understand. My understanding of the origins of most of the currents MV's (NASB, NIV, NKJV, etc.) is relatively clear; however, I am not so familiar with the RV. The reason I ask this, I remember a post somewhere that mentioned the ESV to be an updated RV. I bought an original RV at a used bookstore and sure enough about half of the verses are direct RV comparisons while about half to one-third or so are somewhat different. I have heard some people thumb their noses at the RV, but without any knowledge of its history, I cannot understand this nor its relationship with the ESV and how do you feel about this? :confused: