1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ESV, What do you think?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chemnitz, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

2. Searcher

Searcher New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Psalm145 3:
    I was in the bookstore today and looked at a ESV. It looks just as corrupted as the other modern versions. Acts 8:37-the only verse that tells us what to do prior to water baptism, MISSING! 1 Jonn 5:7- GONE! Matthew 9:13 "to repentance" OMMITED! I didn't need to look any further **(snip)********

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby

The Old King James Bible is the "sincere milk" that English speaking people should desire!

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: TomVols ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Psalm145. Those verses do not exist in the manuscripts from which the ESV was translated, and therefore there was nothing to translate.

The KJV is a commendable translation of the texts from which it was translated and so far as I have read, the ESV is a clear, accurate, and readable translation of the manuscripts from which it is translated.

While the debate about the underlaying text is ongoing, passionate, and for some, critical - even fascinating - I wonder if it is really an appropriate or warranted addition to this conversation?

Searcher.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Searcher ]

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Psalm145 3:
    Acts 8:37-the only verse that tells us what to do prior to water baptism, MISSING!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You picked a great example for this shows why the TR is almost certainly not the perfect word of God. This verse has very little manuscript support. Not even the Majority Text includes this because it is not found in the vast majority of Greek manuscripts. The reason why the MVs don't have it is because it is almost certain that Luke didn't write it. We should not add to the Word of God. Therefore, it should not be included.