1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Esv

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Aubre, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aubre

Aubre New Member

I just wanted to say, I've been spending a lot of time reading the ESV and I have found that it is a very good translation. Before I came to the Baptist Board I had never heard of ESV and I praise God that I have learned about it.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Just out of curiosity (and I'm not being sarcastic here) what do you like about the ESV? What translation were you using before you started using the ESV?

It is one of my favorites too, but I won't put words into your mouth until you get a chance to answer.
    Thanks,

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It's as accurate as the NASB but an easier read(not so stiff).:praise:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ESV is marginally easier to read than the NASU , and the NRSV is slightly less difficult to read than the ESV ( even though the NRSV came out about a dozen years earlier than the ESV) .

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Aubre, I too am curious and I don't mean to belittle or argue against your preference for the ESV . What are some of your favorite points about the ESV? Do you have any negative feelings about it at all?

6. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I guess my question would be to what standard of "accuracy" are you holding the ESV? In comparison with the Greek New Testament, and set along side the RSV and NRSV, it is not very accurate. It seems that the translators were going for readability rather than a close reading to the original language, and I don't care for the style. It's more like reading a pop psychology manual than the Bible.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ESV reads like a pop psychology manual ?! What parts of it have that aspect in your estimation ?

8. Aubre

Aubre New Member

Well, before I started to read the ESV, I had mainly only been exposed to KJV. I grew up in a small country church and that's really the only translation I had used.
    I like the way the ESV reads as opposed to the KJV which is really the only other translation I had used. For me, I guess the definition of "very good translation" is different, I'm no Biblical scholar - I like the fact that it uses the gender in a similar way as the KJV for example.

I also like that I can get a ESV module for E-sword and BibleReader without having to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Feel free to belittle my reasons for liking it and my lack of in-depth research as to which translation is best, it doesn't bother me.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I don't think anyone should belittle your choice of Bible versions or your lack of research into the various Bible versions. Your preference is between you and the Lord, as it should be with everyone. Don't let anyone belittle you for preferring one of the so-called "modern versions." Each person's choice is their own to make, and what is the favorite Bible version of one person is not necessarily the favorite version of another person. That has been shown over and over here at Baptist Board.

10. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I like the ESV too, I find it so easy to read, it's so smooth and the English is good.

I use the NRSV mostly, niether do I read without my Helper, The Holy Spirit. God Himself.

11. Plain Old Bill

Actually the ESV is an updated with some of the RSV errors corrected translation. It is considered as or at least almost as accurate on a word for word basis as the NASB but more readable. I make this statement on first my own opinion but also on studies of the accuracy and readability of multiple translations and paraphrases of God's Word done by others.:type:

12. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

We use the ESV at our Church and I really love it. It's an excellent translation.

13. larryjf

larryjf New Member

The ESV is not quite as accurate on a word-for-word basis as the NASBU. But it does seem to be more accurate as a whole. In other words, if you look at the translations as a forrest the ESV is more accurate, if you look at the individual trees the NASBU is more accurate.

I've heard of a revision due out sometime in 2007, and it may be a bit tighter with the word-for-word accuracy. I guess we will have to wait and see.

14. pickwick

pickwick New Member

I rather enjoy the ESV, although there are a few translation choices that I don't find particularly helpful. Genesis 49:10 and Malachi 2:16 are a couple that come to mind.

15. Plain Old Bill

Great, I have been waiting for a new edition to come out. There were a few mistakes in the first edition. I don't recall what they were at the moment but I'm sure someone will be happy to point them out for us. There is always a tweeking process.

Now if somebody would take the best features of the Thompson,Open,KJ Study Bible,NASB Study Bible,NIV Study Bible,Criswell Study Bible, NKJ Study Bible and put the best features,notes,and information in the 2007 ESV we would have something really special.:thumbs:

16. RedGhost

RedGhost New Member

I've enjoyed reading the ESV as well. :thumbs:

Here are some ESV based study and memory aids I've found helpful:

http://www.reformationstudybible.com/ (ESV and NKJV options)

http://www.desiringgodstore.org/store/index.cgi?cmd=view_item&parent=4&id=421

regards,
    RG.

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whew, you don't want much, do you POB!!:laugh:

Now if they would only put the notes to that ideal reference Bible into Japanese....:thumbsup:

18. Plain Old Bill

Amen! Brother. If you're going to dream, dream big.:wavey:

19. Herb Evans

Herb Evans New Member

What I have gathered here is that most of the folks are saying that they prefer and/or use such and such a version. I wonder if they give any consideration to the Bible that God prefers and uses? -- Herb Evans

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who knows WHAT Bible God uses? Prolly NONE, because He doesn't need one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.