1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal Life and God's Kingdom

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

We hear a lot about eternal life and the Kingdom of God and what in reality they entail and when in actuality they are in finality acheived. We even have one in particular individual on the list that consistently calls any and everyone that might disagrees with his view on eternal life as a liar. My question to the list is according to this verse, when does one 'in finality' inherit the Kingdom? Is it judged in finality in this world according to this text or in the world yet to come?

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

'Eternal 'life' is pictured as salvation. Right now, we not yet possess eternal life, because we all have flesh and still in spiritual warfare as we are on the road (Matt. 7:13-14).

Once, we die, then we shall disconnected from body(flesh), to be present with the Lord in heaven, our next destiny shall be eternal life.

Also, 'eternal life' is called "the first resurrection" of Rev. 20:5-6. Rev. 20:4 telkls us, anyone who OVERCOME the world in the lifetime at death, then shall have "the first resurrection", and their names shall be written in the book of life(Rev. 3:5).

True, we now having eternal life while we have assurance of his promise - 1 John 5:13. But, that doesn't mean that we ALREADY possess it at salvation. We are now carry our fruit and we are abiding in Christ (John 15:1-5). When we finally overcome them at our death, we shall finally victory and can inherit have eternal life with Christ at the end - Matt. 10:22; Matt. 24:13.

If we fail to overcome them at our death, then we shall NOT be saved - Matt. 10:22; & Matt. 25:13. And Christ would removed our names away from the book of life(Rev. 3:5).

We must take and listen Christ's saying.

Also, Matt. 25:33-46 mentioned lot of conditionals that we must meet in our duty, that Christ shall judge us at the judgment day. If we do not do these, then we cannot inherit eternal life, but cast away into fire with fallen angels and Satan.

We must listen what Christ saying.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You speak of the flesh.

Jhn 6:54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

1Jo 5:13These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

#3 Brother Bob, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mark 10:30
    but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and
    in the age to come, eternal life.

Luke 18:30
    who will not receive many times as much at this time and in the age to come, eternal life."

#4 BobRyan, Feb 15, 2008
  5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I understand John 6:54 is speaking of present tense, Christ saying whosoever eating his flesh and drinking his blood, having eternal life. In the picture, it means to follow Christ, shall have eternal life. Or, if we do not eating or drinking in Christ- do not follow Christ, then cannot have eternal life at the end(our life).

In Christ

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1Peter 1

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,

God does not think we have eternal life now – as humans.

Genesis 3:22
    Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"—

Future eternal life –

Matthew 25:46
    "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Mark 10:30
    but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life.

#6 BobRyan, Feb 15, 2008
  7. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

BobRyan,

That's correct.

So, my question is, what 'in the age to come' is speak of?

Tell me, how many ages we have according to the Bible? What age we are in right now? When the next age shall come? How long shall the next age be last?

In Christ

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to Rev 21 in the age to come "there is no more death".

It lasts forever.

"This present age" mentioned in the bible - is the same age we still live in today.

Bob

9. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

BobRyan,

Again, Amen. Well saying!

"Eternal Life" is picture of salvation in our next destiny, unless if we endure in our present life.

In Christ

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is correct - in this life we have "the promise of eternal life" in the "age to come".

Titus 1
    1Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,
    2in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago,

Titus 3
    6whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
    7so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
    8This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good deeds. These things are good and profitable for men.

1 John 2
    24As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father.
    25This is the promise which He Himself made to us: eternal life.
    26These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you.

Jude 1
    20But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
    21keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.
    22And have mercy on some, who are doubting;
    Future immortality “promised”[/b] as a result of future judgment (BOTH good and bad results from that judgment)

Rom 2
    5But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,
    6who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS:
    7to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;
    8but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation.
    9There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek,
    10but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

in Christ,
    Bob

#10 BobRyan, Feb 15, 2008
  11. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

BobRyan,

Correct.

So, my question is, does it says, 'in the age to come' shall be last for a thousand years so called, "Millennial kingdom" as temporary?

In Christ

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Acts 21 we are told that "there is no more death" in the age to come. Acts 21 speaks of events after the 1000 years -- after the lake of fire "2nd death event" where all the wicked are destroyed "both body and soul" (Matt 10:28).

During the 1000 years - I do not believe any of the saints will die either. John says "we will be like him for we shall see him as he is" 1John 3.

in Christ,

Bob

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Wonder what "born again" means?? I know the flesh is not born again, but inwardly we are born again, dead to sin, alive in Christ Jesus.

Jhn 11:26And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

I believe!

Inwardly,

BBob,

14. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

John 17:25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Col. 1:13 "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son"

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He who has been born again has become a child of God -- and yet the "future promise of eternal life" is still "true" -- it is something we get when we go to heaven according to scripture.

In this life we have "the promise of it". As Paul says in Phil 3 "I do not regard myself as having already obtained it -- but I press on toward the mark".

in Christ,

Bob

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Excellent post BR. :thumbs: You nail it down very well. I believe the key to a proper understanding of our eternal life is in light of how we, in this present physical temporal world, hold it. i.e., by faith not by sight.

Faith cannot exist in a world of absolute knowledge. If one has absolute knowledge they cannot hold the same concept by faith. Our faith now is yet to be realized as sight. Just the same, it can properly be stated the we ‘KNOW’ we have passed from death to life and are in possession of eternal life, although again, holding that knowledge and assurance by faith AS EVIDENCED BY OUR WALK.

Here is great fodder for a catchy song one like David Ingles might chose to write and sin. "Faith and obedience go hand in hand!"

#16 Heavenly Pilgrim, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, when does the inward part, soul and spirit of a Christian "die"??

BBob,

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Note that conditional 'liveth' part as well as the believing part. That goes well with your stated practice as I have come to know it!:thumbs: