1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal Life Promised to the Elect before the world began !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Jul 26, 2015.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Titus 1:1-2

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

In Vs 2 here, who did God Promise Eternal Life unto before the World commenced ? For it had to be promised to someone and or someones, and it was Promised to His Elect ! Lets read 1 Jn 2:25

25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

The Us here are Believers !

These are also the ones given to Christ in Election Jn 17:2-3

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give[Based upon a Promise] eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

No it was not promised them in their individual persons/beings, but in their represenative Head and Surety on their behalf, Christ Jesus 2 Tim 1:9

9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

2 Tim 1:1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Eternal Life Promised to the Elect before the world began !2

God Promised it[Eternal Life] to Christ and His Seed Chosen in Him, David served as a Type of this Covenantal Promise God made with Christ Ps 89:1-4

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.

2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.

3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,

4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.

God is said to have made a covenant with David, His Chosen, David a Type of Christ, and the Covenant I believe is the One Paul mentions here Gal 3:17

17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

And this Covenant Promise included to establish to Him a Seed forever [which speaks to eternal life] !

That word establish is the hebrew word kuwn and means:

1. to be firm, be stable, be established
      1. (Niphal)

2. to be set up, be established, be fixed
        1. to be firmly established
        2. to be established, be stable, be secure, be enduring
        3. to be fixed, be securely determined
      3. to be directed aright, be fixed aright, be steadfast (moral sense)
      4. to prepare, be ready
      5. to be prepared, be arranged, be settled

2. (Hiphil)
      1. to establish, set up, accomplish, do, make firm
      2. to fix, make ready, prepare, provide, provide for, furnish
      3. to direct toward (moral sense)
      4. to arrange, order

3. (Hophal)
      1. to be established, be fastened
      2. to be prepared, be ready

4. (Polel)
      1. to set up, establish
      2. to constitute, make
      3. to fix
      4. to direct
    5. (Pulal) to be established, be prepared
    6. (Hithpolel) to be established, be restored
    And the word is used in the NT mainly indicating something God will or shall do to believers,

1 Thess 3:2

And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith:

Its also called stablish in the NT :

Rom 16:25

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

1 Thes 3:13

To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

The word means:

1. to make stable, place firmly, set fast, fix
    2. to strengthen, make firm
    3. to render constant, confirm, one's mind
    Thats because believers are Christ's Seed, and God Promised to establish them, He does that by the Power of the Gospel !

Rom 16:25

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

This is why to some the Gospel is the Power of God unto Salvation, it is establishing the Seed of Christ or David according to Gods Promise Ps 89:4

3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,

4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joh 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1Jn 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

1Ti 2:3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,
    1Ti 2:4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
    1Ti 2:6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Evasion of points made!

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Eternal Life Promised to the Elect before the world began !3

Lets remember that Paul was an Apostle to the Gentiles specifically and was to Teach them the Gospel 1 Tim 2:7

Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Even Timothy was an Gentile, and Paul says according to his Gospel about Christ:

2 Tim 2:8

8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

And the Church is Christ's Seed, which God Promised to establish in the Covenant He made with David, a Type of Christ Ps 89:1-4

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.

2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.

3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant [Isa 42:1],

4 Thy seed will I establish for ever[which speaks to eternal life], and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.

Also Ps 89:34-36

34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David/Christ.

36 His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.

John Gill comments on this Vs 36

In Vs 34, Gods Covenant Promise shall not change, He will not Lie unto David, or his Antitype the Lord Jesus Christ, hence Titus 1:2

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

This is in confirmation of God's Promise to David/ the Antitype Christ, His Seed will be established forever, which eqates to Eternal Life.

Now these things should also give us to understand that Eternal Life was never going to be possible through Adam, the natural federal head of the Elect, for before the world began it was Promised to Christ and His Seed in the Eternal Covenant which Christ was the Surety of, and this sublime Truth is always in Gods Time revealed to the Faith of God's Elect in Christ ! Titus 1:1-2

This is also a Gospel Truth !