1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal security and unpardonable sin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dr. Timo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Piper handles this in his Perseverance discussion.......Well I'm not him. :smilewinkgrin: But yes God can take them out,but what is the point of growth then??

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Well, obviously, God taking them out is not the ideal situation. Yes growth is important, even essential, but not essential to salvation. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

Piper teaches that someone who claims to have been saved but dies while in a state of rebellion was never saved. True believers, according to him, will repent and return (epistrephw). These in 1Cor 11 did not get that chance. Yet they were indeed saved, note the tender term "sleep" in vs 30. Unbelievers do not sleep in death, they die (I know of no exception to this in Scripture), only believers "sleep".

That was my point, that someone who is a believer can commit the sin, and continue in the sin unto death. They are still saved, not lost.

3. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

BTW, only referenced John Piper because he has such a widespread influence in many Baptist circles. And I agree with much that he has written. And have enjoyed hearing him several years ago at the Shepherd's Conference.

4. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

I see where you was going. And yes God can punctuate from time to time killing someone,or allowing the consuquences to run there course. I would never say a believer cannot provoke the Lord to smite them:tonofbricks: . But they will not listen to false teachers and be lead away with such. Rebellion? Jonah almost died,but never denied! Sampson gave in to the flesh so did David,but never denied in his heart that God wasn't real ect. Peter denied"outwardly",but knew in his heart.

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

WHAT!!! Peter denied the Lord, period. "I do not know the man", and then he cursed and swore. I do not know how his denial could have been any more intense!

I gotta go to bed. Almost one in Georgia... I been gone from the BB for quite a while. This stuff is like an addiction for me. Not sure if that is good or bad. But, when I get to talking about the Word, I just cannot stop myself! Nite, for now...

6. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Obie Wan (AKA Jedi),

"shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life"

One of my favorites as well...

7. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: The idea that Non-ES Christian theology (except maybe Catholics) believes that committing sins can cause a Christian to lose his salvation is a part of the false information floating around ES circles. Suggest you look at posts #47 and #132 among others.

This false information is so prevalent that it seem to never go away. It has been around for so many years. There are now many convenient ways to check this. Just go to the denominational websites of any large Non-ES denomination and check for yourself.

First of all, Classic Arminians do not believe a Christian can lose their salvation, but can forfeit their salvation by deciding to stop believing, such as becoming a Mormon.

Weslsyan Arminians believe that a Christian can lose their salvation by refusing to confess, repent and be remorseful for known sins, i.e. continuing to resist the Holy Spirit when he is dealing with them concerning the known sins. Committing the sins has nothing to do with losing one's salvation.

I just wanted to correct this. I have no intention in getting into yet another endless debate on ES. This debate has been around for hundreds of years and it won't be resolved here.

#167 drfuss, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When did Obi Wan Kenobi say this...and in which movie?

9. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

"This debate has been around for hundreds of years and it won't be resolved here." No, the debate is resolved on a need to know basis. God shows us deep truth as we seek his wisdom and ask sincerely I believe God will show. Just like when they prayed for Peter to be set free from jail....God answered them,but guess what.....they didn't accept it. I find if a subject in scripture is a hot topic in christianity and BOTH sides seem to have valid points,I go to my knees and ask God for wisdom to discern his voice on the topic at hand:praying: . He will not leave you in the dark unless you ask in doubt not expecting the Lord to answer. We accept human testimony, God's testimony is greater...... Prayer and fasting,study,waiting on the Lord have been helpful for me.

#169 Jedi Knight, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  10. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

(NOTE the AKA Jedi...) Since his instruction is permanently damaging our ignorance, I promoted him to a Jedi Master!

The verse is his favorite as listed in his profile...

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Eternal security and the unpardonable sin can both be true of the same believer who is in Christ.

12. Anthony

Anthony New Member

phew man

I seek the Lord because I hate my sin and want his help to sin no more.
    My gut tells me he is the only one who can do that. If I try to quit on my own I WILL FAIL.
    I keep his words "go and sin no more" in my mind. If he forgives me a theft and I go on stealing then I have wasted his precious time.
    I've seen a lot of mention of ES but very little about Unforgiveable Sin - I would define US as wasting the Lord's time; treating him as a form of higher entertainment.

There's people that will get up on their hind legs about such a crazy idea.
    I've seen churches where people actually sin in church and think nothing about it. If you bring it up to the pastor does he say in effect that if he were to tell these congregants not to openly practice Lust of the Flesh, Eye and Pride of Life during services, they'd quit coming to church?

I can control what my hands and mouth do, but not what my desperately wicked heart does. The atheist would say I am a hypocrite who puts on an outward show of righteousness while having all the sins of the pit in my heart.
    "You fake! You just suppress the wickedness that still lives in you! You haven't changed except in outward appearance! Jesus hasn't changed you - YOU changed you! Can't you see that, are you Blind?"

Salvation begins with going to the Lord, but it only continues by doing the Lord's will and not our own.

The idea that I can do that while continuing to sin with my hands is one I will not accept.

God bless

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Cannot both be truth*

A correction, I say. :thumbs:

14. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I'd agree.

As Nicodemus asked how can a man crawl back in the womb once he's born,

A person can't be "unborn" once they've been "born again".

Man may "quench the spirit", or even get so far from God they forgot they "were purged" from their old sin,

But like a "Mother", the spirit can't deny that it once gave "Birth" to the person.

15. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Those who scoff at Christianity do so because they see people who are supposed to be born again sinning all over the place. Men who drink and commit adultery one day and preach the gospel the next.

That brings disrepute on the Lord and drives away those who might otherwise have been saved.

God bless