1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternal Security

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jedi Knight, May 25, 2009.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"HP: But that particular verse begs the question, how do I know it refers to me?" Who is he addressing? Saints! If your not sure it refers to you I would not let another day go by without being sure if I am in Christ.

#41 Jedi Knight, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would disagree with your assertion. I would add God's word to the first part and disagree with the second part of your statements. The same Holy Spirit who convicts one of sin righteousness and judgment is the same Spirit who speaks to the believer and confirms or denies his life is right. A good example today is Bob Harrington (http://www.thechaplain.com/prodigal_father.htm). To suggest that anyone is sinless is wrong. Eccl. 7:20, "Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins."

That can be American easy believeism theology to the core. We see that among many who go to churches or do not go to church but who believe God will accept them if they are a good person and do good things as though thsoe good things serve mankind and the good things outweigh the bad.
    A person can be viewed as a good person and not have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. While good works can confirm some things it does little to confirm eternal security and salvation in Jesus Christ. While thsoe who are in Christ do good works it is not the major focus of their life. Christ is. We are to focus on Christ the author and perfecter of our faith. He is our example. The Christian life is not about good works but about Christ. The Holy Spirit confirms the focus of my faith.

Isn't that like saying a person once believed God existed and had a relationship with Him and now he does not? You never lose the relationship but certainly the quality of your relationship and your own life. A good example is the prodigal son. He still had the relationship of a son and never stopped being a son, even though he left and did his own thing, but the quality of the relationship changed. So it can be with God and us. James 1:21, "Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls." The word used for souls means your very life.

Man is free to sin or not sin. He who does wrong will receive the consequences of that wrong.
    Suicide is a good example. One cannot gain salvation by faith and lose salvation by works.

I have no doubt of my eternal standing. I do not walk around on egg shells each day wondering if I am saved. I know my salvation is secure and I am in Christ. I also know if what I am doing to live the Christian life is right or not. There is a difference between eternal salvation and doing good works.
    Remember what Nicodemus asked Jesus in John 3. Jesus did not respond by telling the man to do good works. Jn 3:14-15, "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life."

Certainly I agree. However I have never seen that happen to someone who is actively living the Christian life by sharing their faith and making disciples.

Paul addressed that issue in 1 Cor 15.

The crown of life is the reward of life. It is not about eternal salvation. (1 Cor. 3:15 addresses that issue)The situation in James is about persecution and what may happen to a person who receives Christ and becomes a follower of Jesus Christ. He also deal with trials and temptation. Temptation is from within and trials are external.

#42 gb93433, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"The crown of life is the reward of life. It is not about eternal salvation. (1 Cor. 3:15 addresses that issue)The situation in James is about persecution and what may happen to a person who receives Christ and becomes a follower of Jesus Christ. He also deal with trials and temptation. Temptation is from within and trials are external." Totally Agree,I hear this mistaken for eternal life but look at the context and Job was REWARDED here for his endurance.:jesus: