1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ethical moralism and the New Avengers movie

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 8, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Your nosebleeds will end if you stop putting this up there."

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL Rolf...

See, John has a sense of humor...

God bless.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

As do I but its dry. I love the stooges!

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is ethical moralism?

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Likely a book topic.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is a topic one would learn from a book.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Does the topic come with a definition?

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ethical-ethical |ˈeTHikəl|
    adjective
    1 of or relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these: ethical issues in nursing | ethical churchgoing men.
    • morally good or correct: can a profitable business be ethical?
    • avoiding activities or organizations that do harm to people or the environment: an expert on ethical investment | switching to more ethical products | adopt ethical shopping habits | ethical holidays.
    2 [ attrib. ] (of a medicine) legally available only on a doctor's prescription and usually not advertised to the general public.

Moralism-behavior conforming to a system of moral standards that do not depend on religion

Morality-morality |məˈralətē, mô-|
    noun (pl. moralities)
    principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
    • a particular system of values and principles of conduct, especially one held by a specified person or society: a bourgeois morality.
    • the extent to which an action is right or wrong: behind all the arguments lies the issue of the morality of the possession of nuclear weapons.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appears so....
    Thank you for the definitions, but I know the definition of the words individually. I am not familiar with the term “ethical moralism.” What book do you recommend on the subject?
    I will also say this. Perhaps your amazement that an unbeliever with a moralistic background could outdo a Christian is misplaced. We are in the natural realm (this is where we live as aliens, spiritually alive). If you find yourself living an immoral live in comparison to nonbelievers, then perhaps you should take Paul’s words to heart and make sure you don’t fail the test (2 Cor. 13). I know that we all stumble, but the purity, holiness, and sanctification of our lives is what validates the gospel message to a fallen world. If Christ is really in us and if we are really made anew, if we are now spiritually alive and born again from above, then do you believe that the manner in which we live our lives would pale in comparison to the world? Christians are NEVER spiritually stillborn. They are born to a new life or they are not reborn at all. Just taking on the name "christian" does not make one a child of God, and there is an eternally significant difference between knowing about God and knowing God.

#49 JonC, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tonofbricks:

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Yep...almost a comedy skit.

e•va•sive
    əˈvāsiv/
    adjective
    1. tending to avoid commitment or self-revelation, especially by responding only indirectly.
    o directed toward avoidance or escape.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Would have been dangerous to read that while drinking coffee and wearing a white shirt.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use to be a stooges fan, but have more of an appreciation for ad-lib humor these days.

Kind of spur of the moment humor.

God bless.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never liked slapstick, so not a stooges fan. I have a dry sense of humor - which my wife hates. Unfortunately it sometimes gets me in trouble. Were the stooges ethical moralists?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan - I think you missed my question. What book dealing with "ethical moralism" would you recommend? I am not familiar with the term and thus far have been unable to reference a definition. Thanks.

16. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your name wasn't posted over this I would have thought I made this statement. lol

I have that very same problem, lol.

Hey, can we help the fact that some people just can't appreciate good humor?

Keep that sense of humor, my friend, even if it isn't appreciated.

And couldn't comment on the stooges, as I was very small when I was a fan. There was a Pizza Parlor that showed cartoons and stooge movies, as well as "Our Gang" movies you could watch while you wait. Now that I think about it, perhaps Bugs was a greater influence than I ever considered before, lol.

God bless.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Great minds think alike.

I'm still waiting on a reference (a legitimate definition or book detailing) ethical moralism. It's amazing that we have a thread where the author flatly refuses to define it's key term. I still don't know what it's supposed to mean. :rolleyes:

18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It shouldn't be that hard to understand the concept, all we need to do is consider the opposite...unethical moralism.

Could you think of something that would fit that description? How about "Not allowing a mother to abort her baby so she can save her life would be unethical."

Or maybe "It would not be ethical to let this child be born because his life will be miserable."

If one moralizes we could judge whether that moralizing is ethical or not, right?

In the case of Hollywood, there is simply a trend to moralize which stands as contradiction to an ethical standard.

Riddick is one of the best examples I can think about, where, like in many movies, God is vilified because His actions are thought to be unethical. In these movies we have a "monster" defeating monsters, or in other words, the bad guy is the hero, and everybody is not only okay with that, but cheers the bad guy on to murder.

I think I gave "Dirty Harry" as an example, where we are supposed to cheer a bad cop on to break the law himself. We are supposed to cheer when he takes the law into his own hands which would, in real life, get him a prison sentence and possibly the death penalty in some states.

Is the moralizing accomplished in Hollywood productions ethical?

At least, that is what I think with the term, lol.

God bless.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a common term. I'm sure you've already googled it; there's a smattering of books that have used it, but typically it's used as a juxtaposition to religious moralism (as in religious and ethical moralism).

If we agree that ethics are derived from a group or culture, and morals are individual beliefs; to say "religious or ethical moralism" indicates individual beliefs derived from (or dependent upon?) an external source (whether it be religion or culture, or some other source).

To that end, I need to go back to the opening post and see if I can figure out what the ethical moralism in question is.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct. 2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

#60 evangelist6589, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015