Europe, euthanasia, and the mentally ill.

Discussion in 'News / Current Events' started by Rob_BW, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW
    Expand Collapse

In early childhood, the Dutch psychiatric patient known as 2014-77 suffered neglect and abuse. When he was about 10, doctors diagnosed him with autism. For approximately two decades thereafter, he was in and out of treatment and made repeated suicide attempts.

He suffered terribly, doctors later observed, from his inability to form relationships: “He responded to matters in a spontaneous and intense, sometimes even extreme, way. This led to problems.”

A few years ago, 2014-77 asked a psychiatrist to end his life. In the Netherlands, doctors may perform euthanasia — not only for terminal physical illness but also upon the “voluntary and well-considered” request of those suffering “unbearably” from incurable mental conditions.

The doctor declined, citing his belief the case was treatable, as well as his own moral qualms. But he did transmit the request to colleagues, as Dutch norms require. They treated 2014-77 for one more year, determined his case was, indeed, hopeless and administered a fatal dose of drugs.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/27/europes-cure-for-autism-is-euthanasia/

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck
    Expand Collapse

Don't know what to say other than I'd never want his blood on my hands. I assume abortion is legal there, right? At least this is an adult making his own decision, but I would never do the deed.

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it just struck me as so odd that they abolish the death penalty but then allow this.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck
    Expand Collapse

When asked about euthanasia Barry Goldwater replied something along these lines, 'An adult should have the liberty to stick their head in a lion's mouth if that's what they want to do'.