1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

europe needs missionary's more then ever

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by langelaarus, May 22, 2003.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

A few thousand? - one church in Belfast alone packs in 4000 every Sunday! Haven't you heard of the Alpha Course? Isn't it a primer for Charismatic beliefs? I think you are deceiving yourself if you believe that the Charismatics are not a forced to be reckoned with in the UK and to a lesser degree I suspect, Europe.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And what, pray tell, is wrong with the Alpha course? I accept it is not always the most appropriate evangelistic vehicle, but it can be the right tool on many occasions for successful evangelism - I know sevral close friends who came to the Lord through it.

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

The Alpha course?!

what a strange example to give - I don't think that had anything specifically to do with charismatics.

Give me an example of their influence then - because as far as I can see they don't have influence at all on the government or society as a whole

4. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I rather suspected I might set the cat among the pigeons with my comment on the Alpha Course, but I stand by it. Regardless of whatever else it may or may not accomplish, in my view it is with its "Holy Spirit" weekend and emphasis upon tongues speaking a primer for Charismatic belief. Nicky Gumbel, its author, is a charismatic Anglican, as is Holy Trnity Church, Brompton. I fail to see how a Charismatic root can produce anything other than Charismatic fruit.

Do the Charismatics have to impact government to be reckoned as a spiritual reality? How have Baptists of modern times impacted UK or European government or society? Come to that, how have the CoE?

If you want evidence of Charismatic influence look no further than any modern hymn or chorus book which will inevitably be peppered with Charismatic terminology and theology.

However, in these things we digress. The issue is whether or not Europe needs missionaries, and I believe we do.

5. wtyson6329

wtyson6329 Guest