1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evaluating the Rules of "Best" Text

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did preserve a clock in nature... it is man's attempts to replicate its results that will have some measure of fallibility.

God's clock doesn't have numbers or hands. Given the extreme accuracy of many man-made clocks to convert God's clock into information useful to humans, it would be absurd to say we have only one accurate clock or that one man-made clock represents the standard. The standard is God's clock.

A clock's accuracy is measured by its results versus the standard and its agreement with other clocks. Comparison of 18 good clocks would be a better indication of the standard than one good one.

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Good boy! [​IMG]

3. natters

natters New Member

James Newman said "Why would God be lying if there was not a perfectly preserved bible recognized and readily accessible in 1610?"

Because that's what Askjo and others tell us certain scriptures mean - that God perfectly preserved his word. If he fulfilled the promise of preservation in this way in 1610, then the KJV was not only not needed, but is in error for deviating from it. If he did NOT fulfill the promise of preservation in this way in 1610, either God is lying or KJV-onlyism is built on a false premise and a misinterpretation of scripture.

No matter how you slice it, KJV-onlyism falls apart.

4. natters

natters New Member

Askjo said "Good boy!"

See how easy it is to answer a simple yes/no question with a "Yes" or a "No"? You should try it sometime.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Faith vs logic -- which do you prefer?

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I believe that faith is logical - and are you going to answer my question about how "prove all things" does not mean to "prove all things?"

7. natters

natters New Member

Askjo said "Faith vs logic -- which do you prefer?"

(Faith + logic) vs (Faith - logic) -- which do you prefer? Come, let us reason together.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith vs logic -- which do you prefer? </font>[/QUOTE]False dichotomy. Faith provides proof for things that cannot be seen. Logic provides proof for things that can be seen. True logic and true faith can never contradict. Truth cannot oppose itself.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Hebrews 11 -- which one of them?

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think that we have arrived on page five and are miles off topic from the OP.

Anyhow - I don't think askjo is going to answer my question.

11. natters

natters New Member

Askjo said "Hebrews 11 -- which one of them?"

Which one of what? Is Heb 11 the only book in your Bible? If so, get a new Bible. If not, read some of the other chapters.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Ok, how about this promise -
    Luke 21:18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish.

Was God lying when He said this? Many martyrs were burned at the stake, and I'm sure their hair burned with them. How is God going to keep your hair from perishing? He is going to resurrect you. So why is it so odd that if God says he is going to preserve something, that for a time it may seem that it was not preserved, and then He bring it back into view? That is often how God does things.

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Common C4K, if he did it would be the first time ever. :D

Bro Tony

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Are you really saying that man went 1600 years without a Bible?

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

It sounds like someone is saying the Word died and was buried for 1600 years and then God raised it from the dead through some inspired Anglicans? Who would have thought?

Bro Tony

16. natters

natters New Member

James Newman said "So why is it so odd that if God says he is going to preserve something, that for a time it may seem that it was not preserved, and then He bring it back into view? That is often how God does things."

I've answered this before. 1. it means God's word did not exist for 1600 years, and the verses that said it did exist were lies (remember, you asked me how God would be a liar in your view?) 2. even if your "resurrection" idea is correct, you have NO WAY of knowing if/when it happened. Maybe it happened in the Vulgate. Maybe the Geneva. Maybe the NIV. Maybe something that doesn't exist yet.

You're just digging yourself deeper.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This thread has nothing to do with Dr Bob's original intent.

I have had my own role in helping it get off track [​IMG] . Because of my own guilt in this I will leave to to my co-moderators to decide on its closure time.

If we want a faith v logic thread, let someone start it.

If this thread does not retrun to topic I am sure it will be closed in the next few hours.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

No, your saying that. I'm just saying that you are leaning to your own understanding and demanding that God do things the way you would have them done. What does it matter to you if there was no bible for 1600 years? You have one now.

Isaiah 55:9
    For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

What can we say? It's not fair? God had to preserve the bible for everyone, if he did it for anyone??

19. natters

natters New Member

James Newman said "What does it matter to you if there was no bible for 1600 years? You have one now."

I do? How do you know?

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Natters quoted:
    Are you incapable to answer my question?