1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

evangel christian university of america

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by terrell, Jan 19, 2005.

1. terrell

terrell New Member

I am a new member, but have been reading posts on and off for a few months. I have a question that relates to the "utility of a degree" topic that was brought up once before. I am going to pursue a Doctor of Christian Philosophy at Evangel Christian University of America (www.ECUA.edu). I understand that the school is probably not highly regarded by many. I currently have a BS in Bible and Org. Leadership from Calvary Bible College and a Master of Fine Arts from Webster University (both RA degrees). I currently teach adjunct at a local community college in St. Louis, MO. I have been teaching there for over 2 years. During this time, I have created and taught 8 new courses for the college. The courses range from Arts Management to Religion in the Minority Experience, Is God Dead?, and the Art of Political Freedom. All of the classes incorporate aspects of either art and sociology, or religion and sociology, race and religion, etc. I am interested in finding a full time position, but know that I need a doctorate to teach full time at a university (the community college only asks for a masters). I am wanting feedback/advice on the choice of ECUA for my doctorate. I have chosen them because for all intents I will only need to submit a 300 page dissertation. This is more appealing and affordable for me. I am married, 2 kids, full time employment in addition to adjunct teaching, and pastor a SBC church in the city. My dissertation topic will be "Machiavelli's the Prince as a Model for Contemporary Christian Leadership." Any words of wisdom?

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hey Terrell,

I may be wrong (I am, at times!), but I doubt a doctorate from ECUA will aid your search for a full time teaching position. I think you might be better served by one of the South African institutions, such as the University of Zululand ( http://www.uzulu.ac.za ; http://www.uzulu.ac.za/the/depts/doctoral_programme.htm ). I think Unizul, for instance, is dissertation only (the European model for a doctorate as opposed to the American).

I would be interested in hearing from Dr. Bob.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I agree with Bill

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would recommend a school that has a legitimate accreditation. I looked at some of the course offerings and not sure how much value they would be.