1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Evangelical conditionalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 19, 2017.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We may not ultimately agree on what is true or not (which is ok---disagreement doesn't hurt me), but I think your balanced approach is appropriate.

What I cannot stand is when people seem to be almost gleeful at the idea of hell. If a person doesn't approach hell with the gravity and solemnity it demands, that person really needs to reevaluate himself/herself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that is correct.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem wit that is that there is NO real judgemnt, if all get same treatment, how can Hitkler burn up abd be judged same way a "nice" athiest is? How can God be just and holy without eternal Hell? Why do the scriptures always ue same terms to quantify Heaven and Hell, as both being eternal ages?

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't have to assume that all are punished equally. It does not require immediate annihilation. One could be punished for an extended period, then destroyed.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would they cease to exist? Would that not be a worse fate than livng on?

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In continuous torment? No, living on would be worse than annihilation.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God will judg each person correctly, so there will be degrees of Hell,,,

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still doesn't exclude conditionalism. Not all have to be destroyed at the same time.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None would be destroyed, as death /resurrection of Jesus bough them resurrection bodies that can never die!

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it your position that God would be unable to destroy them?

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the last time learn to proofread your posts!!!!!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did you think about if all sinners are burnt up, no real justice by God then?

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does God have to torture someone for 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 trillion years (and more) in order to have "real justice?"

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't. What the "different levels of hell" theory does is seriously underestimate the horror of sin.

Sin is infinite. So a finite man must spend an infinite time in hell to pay for his sin.

But The Infinite Man could pay for all man's sin with a finite sacrifice.

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your thoughtful post demands a careful response. Unfortunately, I am so busy right now, I don't have time to put together much of anything until the weekend. My day was completely full yesterday, will be today and tomorrow, and will likely be on Friday.

I will respond soon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its actually a longer period than that, sorry.

I think we make a mistake when we try to impose into an eternal perspective concepts derived from the temporal. Most take the imagery of "the Lake of Fire" and impose their understanding into that, which usually results in the image of countless souls on fire and screaming. While I try to be careful not "spiritualize" Scripture, in the term lake of fire is the concept of "The Place of Judgment." We know that God judges justly, and that the severity of judgment varies dependent on the sins of the individual. As believers, it is torment enough to consider being separated from God at all, much less for eternity.

So in regards to a one shoe fits all judgment which has imposed into it a temporal concept created from hollywood, I think it better to remind ourselves that God is a merciful God, and that the eternal judgment the Lost will face will be according to their sin. So I don't have that concept of countless souls burning in a lake of fire, because I don't think that is all there is to it.

We do know that for demons and at least the Antichrist and the false prophet there is an eternity that will be traumatic, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all who spend eternity separated from God suffer an equally terrible existence.

But to be sure, such imagery serves to motivate us to be concerned for the Lost, and to make ourselves available to God in any way we can in an effort to see that not one person remains separated from God any longer than they have to.

As I said before, fear of Hell is a great motivator...for the Lost as well as the Redeemed.

God bless.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just getting that from Jesus, when he told us that God will punish with varying degrees of punishment, based upon the light the sinner received and how they acted with it!
    And worst part of Hell seems to be total separation from presence of God forever...

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not roasting them over fire pit and getting glee from that! hell is God letting them have their "free will", as they refused Jesus, so got their way....