Evangelism - Preaching Points

Discussion in 'Missions / Witnessing / eVangelism' started by Lone Pilgrim, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Lone Pilgrim

Lone Pilgrim
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of establishing some preaching points in some area towns. I have no denom. support to speak of. With limited funds, what would you do first, what would be your first step? Second step, etc.? This would be for a conservative Baptist Church, no carnivals, selling of chances, etc.

2. Rev. G

Rev. G
    Expand Collapse

Would you please clarify by what you mean by "preaching points"?

3. Lone Pilgrim

Lone Pilgrim
    Expand Collapse

Rev. G, A "preaching point" would be anywhere a group of listeners could be gathered, with the thought of there being some consistency and continuence for the future. It could be a home, a conference room in a motel/hotel, etc. It obviously helps to have some (or a) contact to start with. I just got a name yesterday of a man in a town about 100 miles away that might be interested in gathering a group of folks to worship and in the future start a church. As we Baptists are "not generally into" carnivals, giving cars away, miracle services, etc., what steps could or should be taken scripturally to aid in establishing the beginnings of a new work. The SBC is more and more going the carnival direction with the block party trailers, give aways, entertainment and so forth. I'm with a more conservative group that doesn't go for a lot of what is now accepted. A "preaching point" is similar to a Bible Study but more formal in the context that it is worship w/prayer, singing, and preaching. What are some positive ways to get the word out? only by His free and sovereign grace, LP

[ December 13, 2002, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Lone Pilgrim ]

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

So far, you seem to be on the right track. Starting with small group, meeting where you can, with the idea of planting a new church, keeping in mind God has called us to be faithful in our work for Him not necessarily "sucessful".

[ December 16, 2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

5. dan53

dan53
    Expand Collapse

I was a church planter in NW Minnesota and utilized several "preaching points". I agree you are on the right track. Bible Studies can be turned into more than just time to learn etc... They can be designed to start churches and "preaching points".

I have contacted severalfor use of their facilities; granges; and even the city/town halls might let you utilize their space for a time. I would post posters and set a date; pray with the folks who were interested; and then get ready for the services. Several contacts and some decisions were made during "Bless Our Harvest" tour that I did in NW Minnesota.

Hope this helps. Dan