1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelist or Roaming Pastor

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by mnw, Jan 29, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Looking into evangelism recently, particularly the office and gift of the evangelist, has been a blessing and an eye opener.

Would it be most people's experiance that what is very often referred to as an evangelist is actually a roaming pastor?

Would the modern day missionary really be the New Testament Evangelist?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always taken evangelist to be someone that is gifted in the ability to evangelize. Someone that can train others to witness in their everyday life. As a pastor is a shepherd and gifted in that area, the evangelist is gifted in leading people to Christ. No, an evangelist is not a pastor, though an evangelist might be gifted as both, though can't think of one I've ever met.

Years ago I knew a man that planted churches, he would get them up to about 70 people and that would be about tops. If he stayed, often the church went down hill, but when he would get them to 70 or so and leave they would call a pastor and they would flourish. I personally thought his gift was evangelist, and it was obvious he wasn't gifted as a pastor.

A missionary, in my mind should be an evangelist looking to plant a church and move on to plant another. Not sure what that says about the basket ball players pushing sports on the mission field :D

3. standingfirminChrist

An evangelist is not a roaming pastor, as this verse affirms.

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
    Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
    Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
    Ephesians 4:14 That we [henceforth] be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, [and] cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, [even] Christ:
    Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

In looking at this passage, I would say the pastor is more stationary. The evangelist cannot be a roaming pastor

4. mnw

mnw New Member

My view would be right along the lines of what has been said.

I guess my question may not have been worded well.

Most evangelists I have seen come to a "dormant" church and stir them up or teach them Scripture. So in a sense they are doing the work of a pastor and not the evangelist.

The evangelist in the New Testament seemed to be one, as exscentric said, that starts a church, finds a pastor, and then moves on.

My concern is that we have lots of pastors going round preaching, which is fine in a way, but the gift and office of evangelist is being pushed to the side.

Is it possible that fundamentalism has been so put on a back foot to defend that pushing forward with Biblical Evangelism has been negelcted?

5. standingfirminChrist

The Apostles were actually the ones who started the churches. The Evangelist is one trained to go out and evangelize the Word.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

In terms of Biblical definitions, a missionary is more akin to the apostle (one sent on a commission) than an evangelist. I am not saying we hold that office. As a missionary we do the work of an evangelist, a pastor, and an elder. If most missioinaries today did what Paul did we would lose our support in a heart beat. He never stayed long in one place.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelists and pastors are two very separate positions.
    A pastor wears many hats, he may even wear the hat of an evangelist at times.
    He also acts as a discipler, an overseer, a shepherd, an administrator, an elder, etc...

A true shepherd would never leave their flock untended.
    A roving pastor is a missing pastor.

The evangelist on the other hand, may be a good speaker: he may hone his message with great skill to effect greater numbers but in the end he leaves and someone else has to do the real work within the church.

Rob

8. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

I am an Evangelist with the Open Air Mission in England and often do street work in the city of Canterbury. I agree with the distinctions made on this thread. I can point people to Christ and seek to answer their objections etc. and have had the joy of knowing some have been saved; however, I couldn't pastor a church to save my life, that is not my calling.

Kind regards to all.

Bob

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just about everything said so far has been quite good.

Personally, I can't think that the Bible evangelist is a church-planting missionary. Note that Philip the evangelist had a great meeting in the first half of Acts 8, but when things got interesting, he called in the apostles. It doesn't say so specifically, but I take it that the apostles actually established the church.

By the way, the only book I've ever seen written on the evangelist is The Evangelist, by John R. Rice. It is out of print, but if you find it for sale, sell your Toyota and buy it.

Concerning the apostles, I see two kinds. The 12 (I include Matthias) were specifically called "apostles of the Lamb" in Rev. 21:14, and had two special things promised to them that the other apostles of the NT did not have: 12 thrones (Matt. 19:28) and 12 stones (Rev. 21:14).

On the other hand, the many other apostles in the NT are church planting missionaries (not that the 12 were not church planters), as we see throughout the book of Acts. I say if it waddles, quacks and swims, it's a duck!

I don't believe I have any special miraculous powers or the special position of the 12, but theologically I don't object at all to the concept that apostle=missionary, and I know other missionaries who agree.

Would I say that to a supporting pastor?? Whoa!!! That's an entirely different story! :eek: [​IMG]