1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

EVANGELIST QUALIFICATIONS

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by OnfireforJesus, May 19, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

2. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Brother Scott,

I have to be consistent that is why I said (per my understanding). I am no way suggesting that I could not be wrong only that I have to be consistent in my approach to this topic. The mans personal conduct is subjective per the viewer and in situations like this I believe I have to be objective in my decision making process.

As I said in another post I would rather err on the side of conservativism. I am not claiming infallability here but I have to be consistent to my own conscience.

If this man were to start a church down the road from us I would be one of the first to extend the hand of fellowship and I would never attack his position of deciding it is alright for him to pastor. Who am I to judge another mans servant?

But were I the pastor and this man came and asked my opinion then you have my answer/advice before you.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If only people would apply this here and in every other passage and take Scripture at exactly what it says, then we wouldn't be having these debates.

4. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

Scott I agree with you totally and AMEN!

I also commend those that stand by there convictions but we must remember we can't add to the Word of God if it doesn't say it, it simply doesn't say it. Dont, read into it. You will only make yourself look foolish in the eyes of The Lord.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respect that. Again, I have hold no bitterness toward you at all. I like vigorous debate. It's a healthy way to ensure that your ideas can stand scrutiny.

Yes and no. Personal conduct isn't always subjective. Making conduct measures as objective as possible is an intelligent thing to do. OTOH, consistency is still at issue. The notion seems to be that since divorce is "objective" that makes it an easy call that you don't have to use judgment with. The problem is that virtually anything else can be considered "subjective" and forgiven or else excused.

Further, divorce isn't so objective as many want to make it. The Bible gives exceptions. Then you must deal with repentance followed by a long period of proving one's self. The whole disagreement within the more "conservative" camp should point out the subjectivity involved. Some say no divorcees. Some say the wife can't be divorced either. Some require marriage. Some even disallow widowers. Some would allow for service after the first wife dies.

I know a real life example of a man who divorced and remarried. He was not considered for deacon for many years while living with his second wife. The first wife died- and the same church then considered him qualified.

But what is more conservative than observing the text and going no further? How is it conservative to add "divorce" to the list when God didn't?

Again, I am not arguing for a low standard for a pastor. Rather a very high one but also balanced, consistent, and reasonable with respect to the text.
    You didn't come off as offensive.

Advice I would certainly respect. It is those who are dogmatic that I think have gone much, much too far.

[ May 23, 2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Scott J ]

6. OnfireforJesus

OnfireforJesus New Member

7. OnfireforJesus

My original question, which has stirred up many different replies. I do apologize to all , some who are somewhat aggressive with their answers, for anything I may have said to cause grief. Back to the original. I was referring to "Evangelist". I am CONVICTED of the fact that I would be disqualified to Pastor or Deacon any church. The desire the Lord has placed upon my heart is to get up and preach to that which is lost. I do not want to "oversee" or "council". Anything that is posted on this site will have no bearing on my decision. I was curious to see if anyone could show me Scripture that listed specific qualifications for "Evangelist" which is different than Pastor. I am, as Jeremiah, with His Word in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones! God's approval will ultimately be what decides this in the end. God Bless.....

8. OnfireforJesus

I am thankful to the many who have replied to my original question on the topic of qualifications of Evangelists. Unfortunately I believe some went off on tangents of the their own. Do not misunderstand me. I stand CONVICTED of the fact that I am disqualified to pastor or deacon any church. This is clear! But I have a burning fire inside of me as Jeremiah did to stand up and preach to those which are lost! Ultimately, the Lord will make the decision concerning my situation, not this website. I am not looking for man's approval anyway. I know I have a message that goes far beyond the Sunday School class, or the men's devotion night. I do not find Scipture, that shows qualifications of this position?

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing biblical to stop you from being an evangelist unless you are a woman intending to preach or teach men. But as someone indicated earlier, you probably won't be welcomed by many who have developed their own dogmas concerning divorcees.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you very much for your insight on what makes an evangelist a man of God. I will use this as a standard at our next revival.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

But you can't become a former divorcee (unless you remarry and don't tell anyone you were ever divorced). Why? Because there's a checkbox on missions applications forms that says:

[ ] divorced

There's no checkbox that says:

[ ] murdered someone

Yes, you can become a former divorcer. But nobody seems to be interested in that. There's no checkbox that says:

[ ] used to divorce people but have repented of same

And even THAT assumes that the person was, in fact, a divorcer. This is not always the case. Ever hear of no-fault divorce? Your spouse can leave you, get a divorce, remarry, and therefore make it Biblically impossible for you to reconcile with him/her. You can't stop him/her no matter how much you try. You aren't a divorcer, and you never were. Yet when you fill out that application, you'll still have to do this.

[x] divorced

But you won't find any place where you have to do this.

[ ] murdered someone

13. absolute

absolute New Member

Interesting conversation!
    Considering we are all suppose to be “Fundamentalist”, there sure is a lot of different “opinions”.
    That’s the problem, “Opinions”.
    I, personally have gotten to a place where what man say’s, does not really matter.
    Certainly, wise men are helpful, but when it comes to the Truths of God’s Word, our opinion does not matter.
    I am satisfied being an IFB.
    However, I am sometimes ashamed because of the way some of us act.
    i.e. Don’t make your personal preferences my convictions.
    If the Bible don’t say it, don’t you say it.
    I believe in absolute Truth.
    The Bible is “Objective” not Subjective.
    Meaning, it does not matter what we think or feel, what has God said.
    I get sick and it must make God sick to listen to IFB shove their preferences down others throats.
    Things like; You must offer God your best and wear a suit, (tho’ I do, I may not think a suite is my “BEST”.
    Or, a preacher should never have hair on his face, mmm! (Jesus, Aaron, Spurgeon, Moody,)
    Or, “That music is too fast” mmm! (I’ll fly away)
    So, what does this have to do with Evangelism qualifications?
    Here you go.
    I am a young preacher (32).
    I preach often, teach a S.S class of 80 and am considering a pastorate as I speak.
    I am often confronted with this question in my heart, “ What type of preacher should I be”?
    I listen to all of the other IFB preachers and half of what they say, I can’t find Bible for.
    i.e. (Suites and ties, music, facial hair,)
    You know the normal IFB “rules”.
    I have settled it in my heart, that if the Bible is not black or white, it is a “gray area”.
    Again, I believe in “Absolute Truth”, only when it is supported by the Bible.
    Evangelist Qualifications:
    My friend and co-worker “onfireforJesus” had a question.
    It seems that most have eluded to other topics and preferences.
    The problem is they have no Bible reference to back up any of the garbage that is written.
    Most, “Shiloh” is only saying what he heard someone else say.
    Back what you say up with Scripture man.
    I am appalled that there are so many ignorant “preachers” in the pulpits of our country.
    Shame on us!
    You prove with the Bible that the same qualifications for a Pastor /deacon applies to evangelist.
    Don’t tell me what you think, feel or believe, back it up!!!
    The truth is, there is not enough there to back it up.
    Just like “husband of one wife” literally, ”a man, one wife”.
    That could mean several different things.
    We have just been programmed to believe the IFB way without Bible to back it up.
    Regardless, we all can have our own opinion, but they don’t count.
    What has God “plainly” said”?
    That’s all I’m trying to say.
    Be Bible minded, not Baptist minded.
    I believe in the Baptist distinctives because there is Bible to back it up.
    Convictions come from the Bible, preferences come from man.
    Us Baptist have made a bad habit of only believing what those Baptist before us said.
    i.e. Hyles, Hudson, etc.
    My pastors father-in-law was Dr. Curtis Hutson, but he even had preferences.
    He did not shove them down others throats.
    If you want to believe that about qualifications, fine.
    But don’t make them Bible if it JUST AINT THERE!!
    That’s all!!!
    P.S., SHILOH
    Your demeanor, attitude, and everything that you have said reveals your heart.
    “Be careful”.
    I know your type, “Bless God, I’m a Independent Fundamental Bible Believing, pew jumping, devil chasing, sin hating, KJ only Baptist where Jack Hyles is worshipped more than God, And I agonna get everyone right”.
    Be nice for a change.
    I am as blunt as the next man, Just include Bible references next time you BLAST your “Gospel Gun”, or do you have references.

14. absolute

absolute New Member

Now before anyone jumps on me for the word "gray area", understand that there are areas in the Bible that are not exhausted.
    music styles, cloths styles, hair styles, suite colors, white dress shirts or blue dress shirts?,.just wanted to add that before anyone loads up the gun!

15. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Most, “Shiloh” is only saying what he heard someone else say.
    Back what you say up with Scripture man.
    from the preacher boy in Curtis Hutsons son in laws church.
    ----------------------------------------------
    A little like Eccl.1:9? When I quote Scripture from the Living Bible (KJV) most on here don't believe it. As far as your "grey" area is concerned, you can have it. Arrogant, bold, condescending, tough......you would have had a hard time with Mary, John 2:5! [​IMG] Hey.....ever get to see Tony tell him I said hello. I'm wanting to see how good his Black and Tan female really is.

16. absolute

absolute New Member

"I'm wanting to see how good his Black and Tan female really is."
    WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

17. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Brother Tony has a good Black and Tan coonhound. A coonhound runs and trees coons. Is Mark Godley a member of the same church you attend? If so Mark knows what a coonhound is or in his case bear hound.

18. absolute

absolute New Member

GOOD OL' MARK,
    HOW DO YOU KNOW MARK!

19. absolute

absolute New Member

MARK DONT KNOW NUTTIN BOUT HUNTIN

20. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Yes em, you better walk straight now buddy...I know who you are! [​IMG]