1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelist Question

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Havensdad, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

My Church (Brazosport Baptist Temple, in Angleton) voted today to license me. I have been "street evangelizing" for a long time, but now I am going into full time ministry and I have a couple of questions. (BTW to see the essence of what I do, go Here>http://www.straightwalk.com)

First, I am seeking ordination, so that I might become a member of the "Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists". They require ordination> but I thought in the SBC ordination only occurred for those being called to lead a specific Church? I believe I was told that By someone here.

Second, is joining this organization worth it? I know God has called me to preach. (Here is my "second Sermon ever": I welcome critiques, from seasoned Pastors/preachers..http://http://www.straightwalk.org/resources/Where+have+all+the+Good+men+Gone.mp3

#1 Havensdad, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Oh, and Lastly, am I the ONLY person in the world who thinks the Biblical model for Evangelistic work is primarily out on the Street, rather than as a guest preacher in the Pulpit, or even in a "tent revival"?

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why limit it to any of these? Philip, who is our Biblical example of an evangelist (Acts 21:8), did both mass evangelism and personal evangelism in Acts 8. However, we are not told how the mass evangelism took place: in a city square, on a street, in a tent, in a synagogue or other building, etc. I believe this vagueness in the Bible is on purpose by our Lord so that we don't limit the work of an evangelist. Preach any time you can and anywhere you can, brother!

By the way, for one of the very few books ever written on the work of the evangelist, see The Evangelist by John R. Rice (273 pages for only $5.00) at:
    http://www.swordofthelord.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=385

Also at the Sword of the Lord Publ. are biographies of greatly used evangelists of the past such as John R. Rice, Monroe Parker, D. L. Moody, R. A. Torrey, etc.

May God greatly use you! :jesus:

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with JofJ... The biblical model is all of us doing evangelism, not a particular method.

Ordination is done by the local church as a mark that they believe God has specifically gifted you to a ministry not just to leading a particular church. The church that licensed you can do the ordination.

May the Lord bless your ministry.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No one answered my primary question: Is it worth it to join the Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists?

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't help you here, not being a Southern Baptist.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll try to answer it. Why don't you contact them? They would know if it's worth it. From what i have seen at the SBC national conventions, it is more a fellowship group as well as group that tries to encourage churches to bring in vocational evangelists.

I don't know of any pastors who goes to a list of evangelists and picks one. Most evangelists are brought to churches as the result of personal knowledge or a recommendation by a pastor friend.

This might be especially true as you are starting out. Begin to supply preach for pastors locally. That will increase your "visibility" as well as give you experience in preaching. Contact your Bible college or seminary friends to see if you can preach in their churches. If you haven't gone to BC or Seminary, that will be a consideration in asaking you to preach a 'revival' for any pastor who doesn't know you.

8. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

SBC Evangelists

I think two advantages of being a member of this group is fellowship with other evangelists and exposure.

The SBC recently published a booklet that is similar to a church directory, and it contains pictures and other info about each of the evangelistic ministries that are members of the group. It is quite extensive...about a half inch thick.

Your state convention office of evangelism could probably tell where to get a copy if you are interested in having one.