1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelist's vehicle giveaway attracts 10,300; 3,200 make professions of faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Feb 9, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

CUMMING, Ga. (BP)--Last fall, when Carol Gray entered the drawing to win a new vehicle at www.threeminutestory.com, she said she prayed "selfishly" to win before confessing her selfishness to God.

Gray's prayer was answered -- and then some.

Before evangelist Ronnie Hill handed Gray the keys to a new Chrysler 300 LX, more than a dozen people professed their faith in Christ in response to Hill's invitation after preaching at First Baptist Church in Cumming, Ga.

"That's the whole thing right there," said Gray, a member of Alpharetta (Ga.) First United Methodist Church. "The car is secondary."

Hill's year-long evangelistic campaign via the Internet -- which he's offering again this year -- resulted in more than 10,300 people watching his three-minute Gospel presentation and registering for the free vehicle drawing. More than 3,200 people recorded professions of faith in Christ after watching the video.

People from all 50 states and 29 countries entered the online drawing. And Gray, a 65-year-old prayer group leader from Cumming, Ga., was randomly selected as the winner. But she almost forfeited her prize by hanging up the phone when Hill called her around 10:30 p.m. in December to tell her she was the winner.
    The rest of the story is at http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=29838

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am curious what the follow up mechanism for those who made decisions for Christ has been. Do you know if the ministry has connected each of them to a Bible believing local church for discipleship?

Just curious. :)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ya know, now it seems you're adding works into the salvation. ;) Do you know I got kicked off Pastor Spamderson's site for asking the same kind of question?

I now know where all of the people saying "Lord, Lord..." when they get to judgment are coming from....

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

This is salvation? Doesn't anyone recall that Jesus Christ drove the money changers out of the temple with a whip. Perhaps it is time He visited the Churches. Would He recognize them?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

If they gave away a bus, would that make it a "bus ministry?"

:D

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Gimmicks and mechanics of ministry are sending alot of people to hell as they make a false profession. We see many kids make a profession and never see any change in 90% or more. We do not, in our part of the busministry, play "games". We PREACH! Why, we even try to talk some out of getting saved right then to see if they can "put it off". When they "can't", we pray with them and then tell them to pray, OUT LOUD! The ratio of "professions" vs real life changed professions has done a complete reversal. Maybe only 10% of our group show "no fruit" of salvation.:godisgood:

Don't misunderstand me, anyone who means "business' with the Lord when asking to be saved gets SAVED! It's just too many are "milked" into making a profession so some one can say "We had 12 precious souls trust Jesus this morning!" The numbers vary of course, but in a group of approximately 100 in average, in a year's time probably 150 professions, you'd think our area would be turned upside down for Christ! It's not, and the group has 80% regulars who a very limited number show any real fruit.:tonofbricks:

Praise God for the genuine salvations, but like I said, too many gimmicks and mechanisms are sending people STRAIGHT to hell!

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Dang. Sal posted, and I can't disagree. :D

I see Jesus trying to talk people out of following Him, in one sense: He at least made them cognizant of the cost of following Him..."foxes have holes," etc.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I disagree. Christians are expected to grow in the faith and new Christians need support. Look at the parable of the sower. Having said that, I think this "evangelist's" style is disgusting and completely unBiblical.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry - you didn't catch my 'wink'. :)

I totally agree. If there is no change in your life, then is there truly a new life in Christ? I know some take longer to really see a change than others but I've seen true life changes happen and in big ways. I was just reading Acts where Saul was converted and I know many others who had as drastic a change as Paul. My mom read the New Testament in a week after she was saved and within 6 months of her conversion, 18 people in the family were also saved. We really work hard at our church to follow up with anyone getting saved to disciple them since Jesus calls us to make disciples not "said a sinners prayer" people.

It really bothers me when I hear "we had XX decisions for Christ" or worse yet, "we saved XX people as we went soul-winning". I'd like to check back with those people in a year and see who is truly a "new creature" rather than someone who just said a prayer to get someone away from their door. What's amazing is that when you DO talk about making disciples and seeing a changed life, you are now accused of making it a works-based salvation, which is so far from the truth.

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope he thinks of a "free roundtrip ticket to anywhere you want to go plus pocket money" kind of ministry.
    Haven't been to the Philippines in a while.
    Miss those fresh caught lobsters and prawns and bluefins.