1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eve -- How could she be guilty?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Crabtownboy, May 7, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

He ate on purpose in order to save Eve.

skypair

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seriously doubt that. Guess we will just have to ask him in heaven.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Adam reacted according to the flesh, in that he would die with her and therefore death reigned from Adam to Christ. Had he reacted according to the Spirit, life would have reigned. Wasn't it God who said,

Genesis 6:3
    3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: ?

Eve was deceived and Adam ate because he did not want to live without her. She was his flesh and he absolutely loved her and so, reacted accordingly.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Adam first calls her woman, and then after the fall, he names her Eve. I think in between the verses some time has passed, and he started bonding to her.

He took responsibility for her by admitting the truth to God, that they ate the fruit. Yet he still seemed to be weary of defending her and taking complete responsibility for the situation (as you can imagine, it means death).

He tells God "the woman you gave me to God, as if to blame God to say if God hadn't supplied THIS woman it wouldn't have happened and in the same breath he says she gave me the fruit to eat. So he then blames Eve a little. Yet he tells the truth and stands by her though he was likely a little panicked.

Gen 3:12
    Then the man said "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree and I ate".

5. Joe

Joe New Member

One odd concept is a piece of fruit is definined as giving the knowledge of good and evil. It uses an example of Adam and Eve being unashamed they were unclothed yet after eating the fruit, it states Adam is ashamed so they hid themselves from the Lord upon hearing his footsteps. Eve apparently wasn't ashamed or it would read differently.

It makes no sense he would be ashamed to be unclothed, there is no one there except the Lord. He has seen them unclothed many times.

Not to mention they live in a garden, isolated from an evil world which does not exist yet. Unless the animals suddenly became vicious due to the fall (my belief) there has been no evil to speak of except the conversation Eve had with the Serpent. Later she would beget Cain so they would experience evil.

There is no evil to know, even after eating the fruit. Giving an example of being ashamed of being unclothed doesn't equal evil imo. It's preference to be clothed when it is not needed.

We understand evil through experiences, in which they were limited being so isolated in the garden amongst only other animals.

[I]Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Gen 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons

Genesis 3:10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself

#25 Joe, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  6. donnA

donnA Active Member

And of course you can prove this theory scripturally.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then your denying the bible is the inspired word of God.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It was not the fruit that was sin. It was the fact that God told Adam not to eat of it. When he ate it then Adam's sin was before God and Adam knew it and felt naked. The fig leaf is his feeble attempt to cover and hide. Again all reactions of Adam is the result of his flesh.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Come on DonnA. Look at what Scripture tells us husbands how we are to treat our wives.

Ephesians 5:25-28
    25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
    28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

Is not Paul telling us to give ourselves for our wives? God gave Adam that opportunity to do the same as Christ. He did not. He died with her and not for her. Had Christ gave into temptation when Satan tempted Him, He too would have died with all of mankind. He was tempted just as we are but being born of the Spirit He did not react according to the flesh as did Adam. He being innocent of sin gave Himself for the Church even while we are in that sin. Therefore life now reigns in the life of the believer in Christ.

Again Adam had the same opportunity to do the same by remaining innocent and eat of the Tree of Life. This is the choice that God laid out for him. He refused it and died with Eve.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

How husbands are supose to treat their wives does not prove your point, your stretching it, out of shape.
    Again, God is the originator of sin if we are to beleive you.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all, to think a sentence is strange does not mean disbelief.

Also, the line about it only took Eve to fool Adam is an attempt at a bit of humor. Lighten up and laugh.:laugh: Laughter is good for your .... and my health. :laugh:

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

alright.....

13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Eve knew because Adam told her. And just like every word that is not a direct revelation from God she received the word second hand. Even so, that did not exempt her from guilt. Adam willfully ate of the tree because he portrayed the work Christ would later do on behalf of His bride. He came in the likeness of sinful flesh and tasted death so that you and I may be delivered. He died so that we might live. When Eve ate and Adam had not yet eaten there was a division between them. In order for them to bear the seed that would eventually deliver them, Adam had to partake of the fruit. What she had done could not be undone, therefore he humbled himself and became like her to save her. The first Adam mirroring the second Adam.
    That's why the Bible says Eve was deceived and Adam wasn't. Because he willfully became like her to save her.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely, as she violated God's command (sin).

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

If that is the case then do you think that Adam might have stood in place for his wife? I don't know about most men but I know what I would do. I'm going to stand in for my wife. Or at least die trying to get God to reverse His sentence on her.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and that would be sin, too. :)

17. Joe

Joe New Member

Ok, thanks