1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ever increasing files

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TC, Feb 14, 2007.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the last few months, the number of files on my computer has gone from about 39,000 to over 56,000. I have Norton AntiVirus, a firewall, Ad-Aware, and Spybot- Search and Destroy. Nothing helps get rid of all this junk. I have not put anything new on the computer in a very long time. What can I do to get rid of all the junk clogging up the system? :BangHead:

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're sure you are not infected with a virus (and it seems like a safe bet), try clearing your system restore files and then log a new system restore point.

Rob

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

most of them are cookies so the computer does not have to reload a web page that you visited.
    Everytime we visit a web page, we get cookies and virus protection does not stop them.

You can go to temporary internet files and erase them all, but you will have to put in passwords and username again in the progams you set up on the net, such as Ebay.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Bob is right, you can go to options in your browser and dump the cache and cookies (usually in the advanced area). Empty your mail deleted files might help a little. While looking at the cache area there is probably a setting for how much of your drive can be used for the cache.

You can also check in your root directory (c:\) for a "temp" directory, this is where programs put temporary files that they don't always clean out. There may be a temp Net files or internet files also. You might want to go to search and look for "temp" and see if there are others. I have seen a couple at times. This won't be your problem if as you say you haven't been installing things but might be full of stuff from ions past :laugh:

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Or download CCleaner...it will clean out any tmp. files, & a feature I like it lets you pick any cookies you might want to keep so you don't lose sign ins & such.
    www.ccleaner.com. Has a small reg. cleaner too,just a handy little program & only a few Mgb in size.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

All of the above is good advice but I would like to add that this is normal.
    As long as it isn't slowing down your computer, don't worry about it.
    Also, try downloading Firefox as your web browser. It is a much better browser than IE.

www.getfirefox.com

7. kubel

kubel New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it either.