1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Every Knee Shall Bow, Every Tongue Confess...Voluntarily or Compulsion?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Aug 10, 2015.

1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Who, being in very nature of God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
    rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!
    Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

The timing is important in these verses. Even though it speaks in a forward looking tense, it is after Satan has been crushed and judgement has been rendered to the saved and the lost. Why? If there were still unbelievers on earth they will not bow, and God will not force them to bow (freewill) as Bro C stated.
    For all to acknowledge Him freely, first everyone has to understand the truth of who Jesus is first. That will not happen to the unbeliever until after death. Whether "in heaven, on earth, or under the earth" all will bow because they all finally understand who He is. The unbelievers knee will finally bow because he will now believe, though it is too late.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that this is one more verse to show that EVERY knee shall bow. And that includes every knee in heaven, on earth and under the earth!

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does one presently, "in Christ," voluntarily confess, is he/she forced to confess, or has he/she been changed by the Spirit of truth?

From whence comes, reconciliation? From the heart or by the death of Jesus? Rom. 5:10

God told Abraham that his children would be as the sand on the sea shore plus as the stars of heaven. I wonder just how many grains of sand, one can hold in his hand? Are the following the children of Abraham, God was speaking of? And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed (children), and heirs according to the promise. Gal 3:29

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder exactly where, every knee shall bow and every tongue
    shall confess.

Will there be knees and tongues there. Does this imply post resurrection?

Will this take place in what we would consider physically, somewhere?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the lost will still be refusing to bend their knees to Jesus, as they will take after their 'father", Satan in that regard!

6. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me remind you that in James 2:19 we read, "You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror." So if the very presence of Jesus can cause the demons to tremble/quake in fear, why do some of you think these beings would not be knocked to their knees before the very presence of the Holy Father? I believe if God said "every" knee will bow, that every knee will in fact bow.

I don't know who some of you serve, but I serve an awesome God, a God with whom nothing is impossible. :jesus:

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also believe that God is all that, its just that he will need to exercise his soveregn will and force those reprobates to confess jesus is Lord!

That even the lost confess him as lord will be to glory of the father!

8. Paco

Paco Member

I had a preacher (prison ministry) in my office yesterday who referred to this passage in his defense of universalism. He denies the eternal nature of hell, including the lake of fire, and believes that sense every tongue shall confess that Jesus is Lord, all will eventually be saved.

... what an example of religious spin ....

9. Livingnow

Livingnow New Member

Well, since the lost will stand in judgement in order for them to give an account for their lives, I think that confession will be made voluntarily as a result of sheer desperation and fear that will fall upon due to the fact that they are doomed to eternal damnation, so when facing that reality they'll try to do anything in order to plead for grace and mercy by confessing Christ as Lord since He'll be the judge (John 5:22). That's how I see it.

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul tells us I 1 Cor. 14:25, "As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, "God is truly here among you."

One more verse showing that even the nonbelievers will fall down and worship Him. EVERY KNEE will in fact bow before Jehovah God. :applause: :applause: :applause: