1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Every Man's Bible

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gershom, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Anyone own this Bible? I briefly thumbed through a copy at the bookstore today. Looks like it is a study Bible that focuses on men's challenges and such.

EVERY MAN'S BIBLE

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Bible is a New Living Translation (NLT). The commentaries therein discuss challenges of life that most men face regularly.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I have Scofield and Zohiaties Study Bibles---both KJV's---some people think I am a KJVO---but I'm not! But I preach from KJV Bible

Blackbird

4. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Spiros Zhodhiates is the MAN for Bible reference works.

I would stay away from the NLT (1996) translation. It is basically an updated Living Bible. My reasoning: I think it is much better to use a word for word translation, like NAS or KJV, rather than a thought for thought translation like NIV or the NLT. Too much can be left out of a praphrase.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Just the names of the contributers listed is enough to cause every true Christian to avoid it.

Intellectual psychologists are not God called preachers, but do let me say that God's Word does have it's effect as he deemed His Word to have, problem occurs as this facsimile is NOT God's Word.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yeah, those heretics Steve Arterburn and Chuck Swindoll, what were they thinking.

If they truly wanted to make this a good edition, they should have asked Kent Hovind and Peter Popoff to contribute.

7. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

True Christians (what is a false Christian? You either "is you is" or "is you ain't") should avoid David Jeremiah and Chuck Swindoll?

8. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I think many will come to know Christ through this bible and there is lots of stuff out there that bad for one to be reading. The New Living Bible is not the bible I would choose to read but if it works in Christs favor I praise God for it.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

SarcasM? From such a reknowned scholar as yourself?? Neva!! Neva!! Besides, as Swindoll asked his congregation to read allowed, "I don't care what version you are reading..." sounded more like speaking in tongues/ error.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Doctrinally? or just according to popularity? yes, both.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yeah, just like all those Christians who came to know Him through song, and live just like the rest of the world and God never troubles them about anything, and the devil doesn't ever bother them about their behaviour, morally, that is. And doesn't have to, he has them under control anyway.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Remind me to write this day down. I'm a renowned scholar, for the first time in my life. Woohoo!!
    And how exactly does this equate to doctrinal error or compromise? It doesn't. It appear your inflated claim is out of air.

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Doctrinally? or just according to popularity? yes, both. </font>[/QUOTE]Where does D. Jeremiah and C. Swindoll miss the mark doctrinally?

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Dr. Daniel Block formerly of Southern Seminary and now at Wheaton had a part in the translation of the Old Testament in the NLT. He is a top notch scholar and a man whom I have studied under and have the utmost respect for, and he speaks highly of NLT.